Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Arabella Alpenhotel am Spitzingsee, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2024, 3:06 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium

Arabella Alpenhotel am Spitzingsee, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Seeweg 7 Schliersee, DE 83727

Arabella Alpenhotel am Spitzingsee, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel [Master Thread] (18 Photos)

This review refers to the same hotel that was once flagged as a Sheraton, but left Marriott to return last December as a Tribute Portfolio hotel. The link discussing the previous version of this hotel:

Spitzinsee, Germany: Arabella Sheraton Alpenhotel [Master Thread]

Based mostly upon my memory of the Sheraton,  the hotel has undergone  many changes including modernization of all rooms, a large expansion of the spa area and the addition of a new external building with a restaurant called Spitzing Alm. 

Overall

I made this booking for one night and enjoyed it so much that I extended it for an additional night. 

The staff here was really friendly and helpful. 

I can really recommend this place for those that want to do some skiing, hiking or just want a relaxing break. 

IMG_8022.jpeg

The hotel is quite isolated, but still easy to reach from Munich by car or public transportation.  With the train, you arrive in Schliersee and then take a ca. 15 minute bus ride up to Spitzingsee. The bus waits for the train to arrive, should there be a delay. Please note that the bus returning to Schliersee runs only hourly between 9;30 and 17:30. If you miss the last bus you will have to hitchhike down the mountain. This happened to me once back when it was a Sheraton.  

IMG_8011.jpeg
It seems that on some nights night skiing is available.  The lift is within walking distance.

IMG_8005.jpeg
During my stay the village was just above the frostline - the lake was frozen over and there was residual snow and ice. 400 meters down the road there was no signs of snow at all.

Room

I had booked a standard room and was upgraded to a lake view room in the separate building - Seehof, which also houses the conference facilities. You can get to this building externally or through an underground tunnel. 
IMG_8021.jpeg

IMG_7962.jpeg

coffee machine and USB A and C outletsIMG_7960.jpegIMG_7961.jpeg

A very comfortable bed  the room was well appointed in a modern alpine style  I really liked the wood floors  

IMG_7963.jpegIMG_7964.jpegIMG_7965.jpeg
The only challenge I had in the room was regulating the temperature.it was often too warm, but this is easily regulated using the windows. 

Check In

I did in-app check in. My status was recognized and I was offered bonus points and two cocktails in the hotel bar  

I used the in-app chat regularly. They were sometimes  slow at responding, but did always respond..

Spa

The spa/pool area is quite expansive. Children are not allowed in the spa, which is also a nudist area. 
IMG_8015.jpegIMG_8014.jpegIMG_8013.jpeg

Amenities

IMG_7966.jpeg
They offer a new twist on the old Make a green choice program - decline housekeeping and get a free drink at the bar  

IMG_7968.jpegIMG_7969.jpeg

as part of the room price you have to pay the Schliersee Kur tax  this gives you a card that offers discounts and free entry to some places.  Unfortunately, the card has very little use in Spitzingsee itself. It is much more useful if you go down to Schliersee.

The opening hours of different offerings:

1_IMG_7970.jpeg

Dining

The reastaurants are rather pricey but good. It seems breakfast is included for all guests since there was no control of room numbers or even if the person was a hotel guest. I missed only an omelette station at breakfast. I did not try if it was possible to order other egg dishes through the waitpersons. 

IMG_8023.jpeg

I liked the Spitzing Alm the most for casual dining. 

Would you like to write a review on the Arabella Alpenhotel am Spitzingsee, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
lamphs likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:48 am

So, they did not install any air conditioning when doing the renovation?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:08 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

It is winter and I had difficulty regulating the heat. But I think it was me being inept, to be honest. It has one of those thermostat controls where it is unclear to me which direction means colder or warmer. I am not sure if they have air conditioning. My guess is that they do not have it. I doubt needing this at this altitude even if it is summer. Plus, this town is quiet at night and you can just open the windows.

Last edited by cbellero; Feb 18, 2024 at 9:07 am
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:46 am

You wrote that the restaurants are expensive - just to get an idea, how much do they charge for a Wiener Schnitzel at the casual dining restaurant?

Do they charge hotel guests for parking?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:56 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Yes, they charge for parking - 14 EUR according to the app.

The menus were all available via QR code, which means they must be online. Unfortunately I could not find the current versions, only undated older versions. would guess a schnitzel would be 29 EUR in the Spitzing Alm and 34 in the main restaurant.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:03 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

While trying to answer the food question above I noticed they have an app for this specific hotel. I downloaded it. At least for me it is very buggy. Perhaps you have more luck.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/arabel...l/id1611355730

The only utility I see in the app that works is a list of current events.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 12:04 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

I forgot to mention that at checkout they have you a parting gift of branded Alpenhotel socks. It was a nice touch and I was immediately brought back to the wonderful stay when I put the socks on this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.