Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Unimpressed again - silent downgrade after Nightly Upgrade Award cleared

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unimpressed again - silent downgrade after Nightly Upgrade Award cleared

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Even more off topic, what would happen if NUA was approved but then a human at property level downgrade it intentionally? would Marriott do anything?
It would depend on whether you get a sympathetic Marriott rep who's willing to intercede with the property. When StR NYC did this, Marriott made them put me back in the StR Suite they'd downgraded me from. Then the property downgraded me again (but that's a long story).
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Kacee
It would depend on whether you get a sympathetic Marriott rep who's willing to intercede with the property. When StR NYC did this, Marriott made them put me back in the StR Suite they'd downgraded me from. Then the property downgraded me again (but that's a long story).
I have time.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Even more off topic, what would happen if NUA was approved but then a human at property level downgrade it intentionally? would Marriott do anything?
If you are not placed into the confirmed-NUA room, then Marriott can, should, and will return the NUA to you. Though, you may need to intercede/request the NUA be returned.
rylan and iknowthings like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes, if you only selected the one room option and cleared into that, then the upgrade cert should be returned if the hotel chooses to downgrade you.

On the other side, I recently had a stay where I selected 3 of the highest suites, and got confirmed to the 'middle' one... and then the day before arrival the hotel changed me to the best one.
dgreen12 and iknowthings like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:12 pm

As for email proof, everytime I have issue with my reservations, whether its SNA issue or Your24 or downgraded from the room type you booked with cash, the FD always ask for one.
Your24 is a different issue because no change is ever made to a reservation for this.

In theory, the proof for that is in the system that corporate uses to communicate to properties. An Ambassador agent stating in an email that your request was approved very likely doesn't mention the name of the person at the hotel that approved it, nor the case number that was used, so a hotel asking for that is very strange. Maybe I'm reaching, but that seems more like they are calling you a liar? Every Your24 executed correctly has a case file associated with it. The proof is easily accessible to the hotel and that burden should never be placed on a guest.

I would suggest just calling Ambassador service the moment a hotel gives you any pushback on a previously confirmed Your24. The disconnect is between those two, not you and the hotel.
SPN Lifer and kaizen7 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I had a similar incident at Sheraton Waikiki last week. I applied 4 NUAs and the only box I ticked was for a Kai Suite with 2 beds. Three days out, the upgrade cleared. On arrival, the FDA agent said I would be in a city view room. I protested, showed her my app (which was still Kai suite with 2 beds) as well as my confirmation email. FDA disappeared to the back and said we’d have to take the city view room for now and sure enough the app now showed me in city view room. After speaking with the Mgr, he was able to find me a Kai Suite with 1 king bed which was the ONLY suite available. (Hotel is sold out due to guests moving over from the MS.)

Am I entitled to get my NUAs back as I did not get the suite which had been confirmed (1 king instead of 2 doubles)? My roommate tried sleeping on the sofa bed and a roll alway bed, both of which were extremely uncomfortable.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Am I entitled to get my NUAs back as I did not get the suite which had been confirmed (1 king instead of 2 doubles)? My roommate tried sleeping on the sofa bed and a roll alway bed, both of which were extremely uncomfortable.
IMO you're entitled to either your NUAs back or a whole bunch of points.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Marriott's gonna Marriott...some things never change. This is what happens when your CEO openly states you are a customer-focused (not consumer-focused) company.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by iknowthings
Your24 is a different issue because no change is ever made to a reservation for this.

In theory, the proof for that is in the system that corporate uses to communicate to properties. An Ambassador agent stating in an email that your request was approved very likely doesn't mention the name of the person at the hotel that approved it, nor the case number that was used, so a hotel asking for that is very strange. Maybe I'm reaching, but that seems more like they are calling you a liar? Every Your24 executed correctly has a case file associated with it. The proof is easily accessible to the hotel and that burden should never be placed on a guest.

I would suggest just calling Ambassador service the moment a hotel gives you any pushback on a previously confirmed Your24. The disconnect is between those two, not you and the hotel.
I've been in this situation as well. The property in question was the Four Points by Sheraton Anchorage Downtown a couple of years ago. I had a confirmed Your24 for a 9pm check-out.

I arrived at the hotel & the person checking me in was one of the managers. He asked me if I wanted to request a late checkout the day I was leaving. I told him I already had a confirmed Your24 late checkout & he said that was not possible as all Your24 request were approved by him & he has not approved any such request. I pushed back saying that it was confirmed to me a day earlier & he asked to see proof of that. I showed him the email from my Ambassador. He asked me to forward the email to him & said he would get back to me the following morning.

Since I was checking out 2 days later, I was in no hurry to get a resolution right away so I went up to my room. When I got to my room I sent an email to my Ambassador to look into this. The next day I see the manager when I get back to the hotel from work in the evening & he states that even though he has no clue what happened, he will give me the late checkout since I had an email stating that the request was approved. Shortly after that I received an email from the Ambassador service saying that they were looking into this & would get back to me soon.

I spoke to the manager again during checkout & asked him if he had any follow up from my Ambassador since I had also reached out to them the day I had checked in & he said he had not heard from anyone. So at the end of the day, I don't know if he was lying or if someone else approved the request but the email confirmation got me what I had requested & had been approved for.

With Marriott I have learned that having proof often helps since the hotel will blatantly lie to your face to get their way. Its almost as if they want to see if you have proof otherwise they will tell you what they want. With other chains its not so bad. Not perfect but better than Marriott.

Last edited by Keyser; Feb 17, 2024 at 12:01 am
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
I had a similar incident at Sheraton Waikiki last week. I applied 4 NUAs and the only box I ticked was for a Kai Suite with 2 beds. Three days out, the upgrade cleared. On arrival, the FDA agent said I would be in a city view room. I protested, showed her my app (which was still Kai suite with 2 beds) as well as my confirmation email. FDA disappeared to the back and said we’d have to take the city view room for now and sure enough the app now showed me in city view room. After speaking with the Mgr, he was able to find me a Kai Suite with 1 king bed which was the ONLY suite available. (Hotel is sold out due to guests moving over from the MS.)

They simply gave your room to someone else. I would be pissed !
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by iknowthings

Very much off topic now.
In my Your 24 case, the FD just claim she never heard about Your 24 and ask for the confirmation email from the ambassador team.
I did arrive at 4AM and initially she insist that I have to make a reservation for the previous night if I would like early check in that early.
After reading the email she tried to find someone else who are more familiar with the program.
The 2nd person, did understand about Your24 but unfortunately the hotel don't have any room available.

I manage to get a room at 8AM which is definitely way beyond 4AM requested.
The 2nd person acknowledge the service failure and ask if I need 4pm late check out since they failed to give me Your24 time.
Told him I don;t need one as I need to leave the hotel at 3AM on departure day.

I guess email proof would help streamline the process and in the rare case the hotel insist with the pushback, then I believe calling Ambassador line as iknowthings mentioned would be the best course of action.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver

Have quite similar issue at MArriott Tang Plaza Singapore.
Booked 2 king rooms and SNAed to 2x M Club suite King and FD try to downgrade one room claiming that only members personal room are eligible for SNA.
After show her both confirmation email she relent and only manage to secure a M Club suite double. Not ideal as I will be the sole occupant of the room.
But in this case I let it slide (didnt ask the SNA refunded as it will be just expired in few weeks time).

I believe since the bed type is changed, you are entitled to have the SNA/NUA refunded.
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I checked into Westin two nights ago with a confirmed Master Suite for 2 nights. I'd noticed it downgraded on the app during the morning before check-in. At reception, they told me that all confirmed upgrades are only confirmed on the day of check-in. Showed them the email confirming it three days out. They insisted it wasn't "confirmed" and that in thanks for my loyalty they had upgraded us to a corner room. I protested but was sent on my way to the corner room. Eventually, they called and found "a" suite. It's not the one we had asked for that had a whole dining area and isn't the one I'd requested and confirmed. It was my first time using nightly upgrade awards and has left a sour taste in my mouth already. I'm tempted to ask for them to be returned, but not sure they'll push back and say well we at least upgraded you to some type of suite.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTmex
I checked into Westin two nights ago with a confirmed Master Suite for 2 nights.......
Please name the property.

.....It is not the one we had asked for that had a whole dining area and isn't the one I'd requested and confirmed. It was my first time using nightly upgrade awards and has left a sour taste in my mouth already. I'm tempted to ask for them to be returned, but not sure they'll push back and say well we at least upgraded you to some type of suite.
​​​​​​You received a space available upgrade to a basic suite. You should receive a refund of your confirmed NUA.
dgreen12, SPN Lifer, EdV and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It was my first time using nightly upgrade awards and has left a sour taste in my mouth already. I'm tempted to ask for them to be returned, but not sure they'll push back and say well we at least upgraded you to some type of suite.
ABSOLUTELY push back and escalate through Marriott customer service to get your award certs back. You requested and were confirmed in a suite. The hotel is blatantly making things up about not being confirmed until that morning and ignoring policy. Some other kind of lower suite is not what you used and had your NUAs confirmed for.

Also name the property... others need to be aware which locations are violating the upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.