Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott points accrual for old credit cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2024, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium

I currently have a Bonvoy AMEX (former SPG card) and a Chase Bonvoy Visa (the black one). Does anyone here in Bonvoyland happen to know off the top of their heads how many Bonvoy points per dollar spent at Marriott hotels on these cards?

I used to know this but forgot...TIA
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
5x at Marriott for the old black chase.

https://creditcards.chase.com/marrio...member/premier
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
It's 6x at Marriott for the old Amex SPG card (and 2x on everyday spend). And that's it for the categories.

Old Jan 26, 2024, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I had both, but after the 2016 merger was fully implemented in 2018, I cancelled my Marriott BONVY AmEx in favor of my Chase Marriott BONVY Premier Visa, notwithstanding the reduced points earning. The Elite Qualifying Night (EQN) for each $3K spend was the tie-breaker for me.

They keep on offering points to try to get me to "upgrade" to the newer Visa, which also has a 35K-point free night award (FNA) certificate instead of my current 25K FNA. However, even as a lifetime Platinum Elite, I do not want to reduce my EQNs to one per $5K spend.
dw likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jan 26, 2024 at 12:13 am
Old Jan 26, 2024, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Thanks all! Time to dust off my SPG Amex
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
They keep on offering points to try to get me to "upgrade" to the newer Visa, which also has a 35K-point free night award (FNA) certificate instead of my current 25K FNA. However, even as a lifetime Platinum Elite, I do not want to reduce my EQNs to one per $5K spend.
How much spend do you put on the card? Is it mostly Marriott spend? You might get more nights but does that offset the 1x less you are getting on your spend?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
​​​Mostly non-Marriott, about $30K to $60K per year, a vast preponderance of my personal spend. I am satisfied with my choice of Elite Qualifying Nights (EQN) versus the additional points I could have earned if I had kept the "duplicate" SPG AmEx card in 2018, especially as AmEx is not widely accepted in this part of the U.S.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
​​​Mostly non-Marriott, about $30K to $60K per year, a vast preponderance of my personal spend. I am satisfied with my choice of Elite Qualifying Nights (EQN) versus the additional points I could have earned if I had kept the "duplicate" SPG AmEx card in 2018, especially as AmEx is not widely accepted in this part of the U.S.
As a Lifetime Plat, why are you chasing EQNs? Do you find Titanium to be that much better than Platinum?
margarita girl, dayone and gudugan like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
As a Lifetime Plat, why are you chasing EQNs? Do you find Titanium to be that much better than Platinum?
I guess if you really do amazing stuff with 10 extra NUAs every year?

Personally I’d go with the return on spend on literally any other card that is giving me better than 1x Marriott but it takes all kinds I guess. God bless people who do this kind of suboptimal spend which makes Chase money on the difference between 3% transaction fees and what they pay for 1x Marriott, so I can churn SUBs.

(FWIW a no annual fee 2% Visa or MC can buy 120k of Marriott points against 60k spend when the points are on sale, and still have money left over- and it’s hardly the most lucrative way to use spend.)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 29, 2024 at 11:02 pm
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post # 8)
I am not. All our family spend is now on my wife's credit card, as she seeks to get the five more years of Platinum to advance from lifetime Gold.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:25 pm

I had both, but after the 2016 merger was fully implemented in 2018, I cancelled my Marriott BONVY AmEx in favor of my Chase Marriott BONVY Premier Visa, notwithstanding the reduced points earning. The Elite Qualifying Night (EQN) for each $3K spend was the tie-breaker for me.

I keep my Premier card for the same reason - EQN $3k wins!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rayho12 (Post # 11)
I keep my Premier card for the same reason - EQN $3k wins!
Welcome to FlyerTalk (FT), rayho12! I hope you will enjoy participating in the FT Marriott sub-forum and other areas of interest.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php
Old May 8, 2024, 8:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I guess if you really do amazing stuff with 10 extra NUAs every year?

Personally Id go with the return on spend on literally any other card that is giving me better than 1x Marriott but it takes all kinds I guess. God bless people who do this kind of suboptimal spend which makes Chase money on the difference between 3% transaction fees and what they pay for 1x Marriott, so I can churn SUBs.

(FWIW a no annual fee 2% Visa or MC can buy 120k of Marriott points against 60k spend when the points are on sale, and still have money left over- and its hardly the most lucrative way to use spend.)
i dont know about you, but SNAs have saved me 5-10k GBP a year
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.