Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : NUA Nightly Upgrade Awards (NUAs), introduced Jan 2024, replacing SNAs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Wiki post
Print Wikipost

FAQ : NUA Nightly Upgrade Awards (NUAs), introduced Jan 2024, replacing SNAs

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2024, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG DIaAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by applesauce
I would but that would require the website to function.

In any case why should one trust the website over the app?

Well, reading the posts in the thread before yours might give you good reason. I apologize for assuming you were looking for information. As others have pointed out, you should not assume your upgrade requests have been deleted or otherwise held "hostage".
Old May 20, 2024, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Well, reading the posts in the thread before yours might give you good reason. I apologize for assuming you were looking for information. As others have pointed out, you should not assume your upgrade requests have been deleted or otherwise held "hostage".

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine. You provided precisely zero information at all.

260 posts in this thread, excuse me if I missed one. There's a single relevant post (#148) where anecdotally it worked out (if you were aware of it, not sure why you didn't link it, I e. provide information). Even so, it doesn't explain why the website and app disagree nor why one should trust the slow and usually broken site over the fast and usually broken app.

Four hours later the website is working for me again and I see the NUA request. The app no longer says anything about NUAs under the bell.

Anyway, I'll update this post on the outcome.

::edit:: NUA request was visible in the website once it started showing bookings again. App continued to show "not eligible." Ultimately I received a denial email. Stay booked 8/23 for a 6/24 stay. NUAs applied 1/24. Womp womp.

Last edited by applesauce; Jun 1, 2024 at 5:12 pm
Old May 21, 2024, 12:03 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG DIaAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by applesauce
Well aren't you a ray of sunshine. You provided precisely zero information at all.

260 posts in this thread, excuse me if I missed one. There's a single relevant post (#148) where anecdotally it worked out (if you were aware of it, not sure why you didn't link it, I e. provide information). Even so, it doesn't explain why the website and app disagree nor why one should trust the slow and usually broken site over the fast and usually broken app.

Four hours later the website is working for me again and I see the NUA request. The app no longer says anything about NUAs under the bell.

Anyway, I'll update this post on the outcome.
I'm sorry you didn't find the suggestion to check the website helpful enough.
See post #243.
Old May 25, 2024, 6:15 am

Denied again. Truly a useless perk. Hotel even shows all the suites I chose available for my stay.
Old May 25, 2024, 6:31 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by phant0m
Denied again. Truly a useless perk. Hotel even shows all the suites I chose available for my stay.
what hotel?
Old May 25, 2024, 9:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Bonvoy upgrading system including NUA approval is not transparent.

We can have a NUA refused when the hotel have all NUA options room/suite listed as available, then we also have NUA cleared when hotel show all room/suite was fully booked.(its rare but it does happen)
Likewise we can have hotel refuse to upgrade members when the app still list all of their room/suite available and also have hotels upgrade members when the app show no more rooms available.

With current system, I guess it would be easier for hotel to game the system and pretend to be full and refuse to upgrade everyone (just claim the IT glitch/web inventory not up to date)
Old May 25, 2024, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by diablo77
what hotel?
Edition Rome.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Bonvoy upgrading system including NUA approval is not transparent.

We can have a NUA refused when the hotel have all NUA options room/suite listed as available, then we also have NUA cleared when hotel show all room/suite was fully booked.(its rare but it does happen)
Likewise we can have hotel refuse to upgrade members when the app still list all of their room/suite available and also have hotels upgrade members when the app show no more rooms available.

With current system, I guess it would be easier for hotel to game the system and pretend to be full and refuse to upgrade everyone (just claim the IT glitch/web inventory not up to date)
The hotels have told me that every NUA is approved from Marriott corporate and they have no control.
Old May 26, 2024, 1:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
The hotels have told me that every NUA is approved from Marriott corporate and they have no control.
This is half true. The NUA approval is automated by Marriott, but the properties determine which room type and how many are in the NUA pool. So a property could have 30 suites, show them as an option to select for NUA, but then only have 2 of the 30 in the pool to give actual upgrades. That’s how the NUAs get declined even when the property is showing suite availability. Or the property can just say none of the suites are in the pool and just offer upgrades like “higher floor” in the NUA pool.

This “feature” allows properties to make NUAs near-worthless if they want. Which many (most?) have done.
Old May 26, 2024, 8:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Also, property can override NUA.
System approved to the selected room/suite, then property can manually change it to different room/suite.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:38 pm

Just coming back to say thank you to the person who pointed out the little bell icon in the app to now request NUA. With 700+ nights with Marriott behind me, I can finally say I have ACTUALLY USED THIS BENEFIT NOW. My most recent stay was "upgraded."

(cue the confetti)

Should the room - which was not a suite but did have a really nice view -- really have fallen under a standard platinum "nicer room" benefit? Probably, but I didn't want to leave anything to chance at this destination. Would/should I have had that room anyways? Maybe, but I'd like to think it was because I applied the NUA So, thank you all.
SPN Lifer, uanj, diablo77 and 1 others like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Alaska MVPG; KrisFlyer Silver
Thought I'd share my first NUA experience since it sounds unusual based on the comments here. I used it at The Josie Hotel, an Autograph Collection hotel in Rossland, BC. It's peak off-season there, so we got a great room rate to begin with and they granted my NUA request 2 days out to the Josie Suite, their largest, for 3 nights. Great stay, lovely staff. I'm sure it'd be a much different result during ski season, but we appreciated it and I feel like we got a lot of value out of it.
Old May 29, 2024, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Just checking, I used an NUA and received an email confirmation that it was approved, stated "oceanfront" room. The room I received was ocean view. Still a nice room but the view was over a noisy parking lot. I saw the oceanfront rooms and they were definitely just that, right at the ocean, bigger balcony, sundeck recliner chairs etc.

Does anyone know if a NUA is considered used if you don't get the confirmed room?

- TIA!
Old May 29, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by tstauck
Does anyone know if a NUA is considered used if you don't get the confirmed room?
Was ocean"view" one of the options you selected? I've gotten NUAs back when I didn't get in one of the room types I selected, but I'm not sure whether you would if was still among the choices you made. As far as confirmed rooms, I've been confirmed into suites (as an elite upgrade, not using an NUA) that were given away by the time I checked in and there is no recourse for that.
Old May 29, 2024, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by greenysi
Hi,

Travelling to Cancun in June and booked JW Cancun for 6 nights Ocean View, Deluxe Guest room, 1 King, Balcony. I'm planning to use NUA to upgrade our room to a suite.
As this one is a resort, the Club 91 lounge is not a Titanium benefit, but there is a very good rate now to book a room with Club 91 access.
Maybe my question is stupid but If I book a room with Club 91 access and got upgraded with NUA, will they still grant the access to the lounge or that will be lost because the suite doesn't come with that privilege?

Thank you!
I got upgraded to an Oceanfront Suite on the Club 91 level several years ago, and they refused to give us lounge access. I did get the Club 91 slippers, though. I'm surprised they didn't try to swap them out for the regular slippers.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.