Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bonvoy dropped me Plat to Gold. Error? Circumstances?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2023, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Your thoughts on my situation?

2021-Dec. accepted Platinum challenge to stay 16 nights within 90 days
2022-Jan achieved 16th night got Platinum ..intentionally 16th night in 2022 (could have got it in 2021 on Dec 29, but no point just for a few days).
During 2022 family hospitalization several months, didn't travel much, though i had Plat
2023 Marriott dropped me to Gold

But i reached Platinum in 2022, so should have it remainder of 2022 and all of 2023 ... yes? no?

If "no", then would Marriott extend the Platinum for hospitalization situation?

2024 Since Marriott dropped me in 2023, and with travel locations and IHG and Hilton promo's, in 2023 stayed 139 nights IHG and will hit 144 Hilton = 280+ nights
Looking to replace IHG as they don't care about 100+ nighter members (no Milestones) and with no Lifetime benefit IHG doesn't care about multi-year loyalty and Points transfer bookings cost $5 per 1000 (except couple weeks ago announced 500k at no cost for Diamond members) whereas no cost at Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt.

If Marriott will not reinstate Platinum (b/c of error or b/c of their kindness), long-time loyalty pgm friend suggested a) use all Marriott points b) cancel membership c) sign up new membership with different email/phone d) apply for "Status Matching" using the 280 nights in 2023 at IHG and Hilton
Your thoughts?
Old Dec 24, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Regardless of whether or not you should be Platinum in 2023 because you stayed 16 whole nights in late 2021 and early 2022, that wouldn't affect your status in 2024 because you didn't stay in 2023. The terms of the status challenge you accepted are important, and in absence of those, one might assume that the status you were earning was for 2021 and by completing the challenge, you earned it for "2021" which would carry it over to 2022.

You could always call and try, but frankly, I think your chances are low since you didn't attempt to reach out or stay with Marriott at all in 2023 after your Platinum status lapsed, which, while I'm sorry to hear about the 2022 hospitalization, seems like a delayed reaction on your part and not relevant to your stay patterns in 2023 (unless you did try to ask for an extension when you started staying in hotels again).

I wouldn't try to make an alternate account just to try to get another status match or challenge. That sounds like a recipe for an account suspension.

And, of course, if you're based in the US, just get the Brilliant Amex.
SPN Lifer, dw and DutchessPDX like this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Ah, good point, challenge made in 2021 and though achieved in 2022, probably counts as 2021. Should have made challenge in 2022 , duh oh to me

Since status changes occur end February, if would have Plat in 2023 it would be until end Feb 2024 , which is good for couple months.

Unfortunately not USA citizen/resident and those great Amex + Hotel co-branded cards not available, nor are those great sign-up and annual travel credits (the one bank where i am that offers Amex Plat will waive the annual fee , whereas if could go to Amex direct would have to pay the annual fee)

Google searching "best Marriott STARS and Marriott Luminous travel agent advisors" ... if you book through approved travel advisors/agents, pay full rate but get $100 hotel credit, room upgrade if available, etc etc.
This might work until reaching status level again.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's worth noting that FT is full of Lifetime Platinums who are relieved to not have to stay at Marriott hotels any more.

It's also increasingly clear that the earn-burn ratio with Marriott is going in a very customer unfriendly direction.

Although I suppose that one needs to have enough experience with Marriott Bonvoy to then know to avoid it - #bonvoyed - but Hyatt and IHG should cover the needs of anybody with 150+ nights in a year to spread around and provide the best elite benefits and earn-burn on your paid stays...
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 11:22 am

As I've mentioned before, status earned in January expires the following year's February, which is what occurred here. This rarely has an impact on most people since it's uncommon that anyone does not achieve higher status after January.

OP can sign up for another Platinum challenge once per calendar year as long as the account is Gold or lower and they've had at least one qualifying paid night within the past 2 years. Marriott does not do direct status matching to other programs.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Sorry to drift farther off topic
Originally Posted by craigthemif
It's worth noting that FT is full of Lifetime Platinums who are relieved to not have to stay at Marriott hotels any more.]
Relieved isn’t the word I would use. But being “Lifetime” in any level makes it substantially easier to be a free agent and choose an equivalent property, especially when Marriott properties are 30 - 60 % higher than the competition.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Hyatt and IHG should cover the needs of anybody with 150+ nights in a year to spread around and provide the best elite benefits and earn-burn on your paid stays...]
I would add Hilton to the list.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.