Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Single Night Stays at Fractional Credit Per Night Brands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

Since Marriott seems to be wandering into adding more of these chains (boo!), I'm curious as to how nights credit for short(er) stays (or for off-number night stays). For example, does a single night stay count for one night credit or zero (or as an indiscernible fraction that only pops out if something else causes the number to shake out to the next integer)? What about a three-night say? Same thing with Marriott Executive Apartments (though I'm far less likely to blunder into a booking there) and the 3 nights/credit - what about 1/2/4/5 night stays?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Unfortunately, Marriott BONV°Y Elite Night Credits (ENC) are awarded solely in integers, even though they may be "earned" by halves. Here is the beginning of a table of nights for such properties:

Nights ENC . . . ENC
Stayed Earned Credited
1 . . . . . ½ . . . . . .0
2 . . . . . 1 . . . . . . 1
3 . . . . . 1½ . . . . .1
4 . . . . . 2 . . . . . . 2
5 . . . . . 2½ . . . . .2
6 . . . . . 3 . . . . . . 3
7 . . . . . 3½ . . . . .3
8 . . . . . 4 . . . . . . 4

The only thing that can increase the half earned to another whole ENC is another consecutive night at the same property.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Nov 17, 2023 at 4:12 am
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
which brands does this apply to?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:49 am

I think the current brands are Protea, City Express and Four Points Express by Sheraton. I'm sure there will be more to come.
yscleo likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:54 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
While none of this has affected properties in the US yet, I can definitely see this coming to their new lower cost extended stay brand, StudioRes
Old Nov 17, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by UpInTheAir
I think the current brands are Protea, City Express and Four Points Express by Sheraton. I'm sure there will be more to come.
Pretty soon it'll probably apply to Aloft, AC; then Townplace, Fairfield, Residence, Courtyard, 4Points;
then will apply to Westin, Sheraton, Marriott, Meridian, R...

Then some brands will require 3-4 nights for 1 credit night, and most others require 2-3 nights.

Marriott can still say Ritz, St R.. are not affected and they never changed the scale.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 10:40 am

Marriott Executive Apartments is already 3 nights for 1 elite night credit.
yscleo and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by UpInTheAir
Marriott Executive Apartments is already 3 nights for 1 elite night credit.
Interestingly, Homes & Villas is 1:1 (although 0 lifetime night credits)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Would be a negative development. I am constantly hopping from one place to the next, so one nighter is my speciality, and some places just have your lower in scale brands. Would move my stays elsewhere.
nexus7556 and GrayAnderson like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Would be a negative development. I am constantly hopping from one place to the next, so one nighter is my speciality, and some places just have your lower in scale brands. Would move my stays elsewhere.
My inclination, frankly, is that if I need to land at one of those properties I'd look at booking via AA or another third party. I realize there's a loss of benefits, but at some point they've gutted the earning so much (half-credit on spend and a goose egg on status earning) that I'd rather dump the stay over to e.g. AA if I need to be at that hotel.

Like, with the fancy AA credit card I'm going to be getting 10 points per dollar if I run the stuff over there, so on a one-night $100 reservation with 10% tax I'd get 1100 points plus whatever pops via their portal (500 is a pretty reasonable estimate, and the 500+110 off the CC will go towards elite status) vs 750 plus the welcome gift from Marriott (and no elite credit) and...well, whatever I'd pull from either the Marriott card (probably 660) or Chase card (330 CSR points...which frankly trump the 660 Bonvoy points). There's only so low Marriott can go before it doesn't make sense for even a Titanium to bother booking in-channel. 5 points per dollar is already marginal; gutting status credit just kicks them to the curb.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:20 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by yscleo
Pretty soon it'll probably apply to Aloft, AC; then Townplace, Fairfield, Residence, Courtyard, 4Points;
then will apply to Westin, Sheraton, Marriott, Meridian, R...

Then some brands will require 3-4 nights for 1 credit night, and most others require 2-3 nights.

Marriott can still say Ritz, St R.. are not affected and they never changed the scale.
If this is the way it's going, soon we will need to stay 400 nights a year to hit a certiain Elite level.
yscleo likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 6:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
If this is the way it's going, soon we will need to stay 400 nights a year to hit a certiain Elite level.
I think it would be more likely they end up ditching nights and going with qualifying points based on spend, like the airlines have done. It's really far too complicated with so much variation on point earning, elite nights, and benefits from brand to brand that don't always make a lot of sense.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I think it would be more likely they end up ditching nights and going with qualifying points based on spend, like the airlines have done. It's really far too complicated with so much variation on point earning, elite nights, and benefits from brand to brand that don't always make a lot of sense.
The risk with this is that the "midscale mush" hotels are likely to be displeased if it weakens their business. Airlines don't have franchisees...
DallasEsq and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
That's too difficult. Make it 370 nights per year, slightly easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.