Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, AL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

Just thought I'd pass this along...

The Battle House (RN) in Mobile, AL might be the nicest Marriott property I've stayed in this year. Or any year.

The lobby dome is BEAUTIFUL and interesting. The hotel was very nice. The people were great. The feather pillows were removed. The CL was awesome.

I could go on, but you probably get the point.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat since 2008. Hyatt Diamond since 2015
i've been staying at the Renaissance Riverview which is on the same block. Maybe I should try the Battle House.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Trying to decide between these two, for a one night stay tomorrow

any other input
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

This hotel still comes up on a search of Marriott properties in Mobile, Alabama. However, it shows no availability for any day from today forward. I called and the month at a glance isn't working for this property. The agent was able to find some specific days it was available but could not search for a band of availability. Further, my understanding of my titanium guarantee is that I can book any property more than 48 hours in advance with some minor caveats. The agent was adamant that the policy requires it being booked only the day that is 48 hours in advance. I cannot book any earlier. He went to a supervisor who told him this is correct. I have never heard this creative interpretation of the 48 hour guarantee.

48-Hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Member's personal guest room. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked at least 48 hours prior to arrival. 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events). Benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 26, 2019 at 3:27 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This hotel still comes up on a search of Marriott properties in Mobile, Alabama. However, it shows no availability for any day from today forward. Is it a software error or is it leaving the Marriott family?

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...hotel-and-spa/
I just looked a minute ago. Doing flexible search for the rest of 2019, there were only a handful of nights that did not show as available for a 1-night 1-person stay.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
I just looked a minute ago. Doing flexible search for the rest of 2019, there were only a handful of nights that did not show as available for a 1-night 1-person stay.
Look at November. It shows nothing. I was searching for 1 night, 2 people, and just reset to 1 person. I still found nothing. The agent with whom I spoke found nothing either.

Update: when I sign out, month at a glance works. Signed in, it doesn't.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 26, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Look at November. It shows nothing. I was searching for 1 night, 2 people, and just reset to 1 person. I still found nothing. The agent with whom I spoke found nothing either.

Update: when I sign out, month at a glance works. Signed in, it doesn't.
November 3, 4, and 15 are not available at the Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa. All other nights are available.

In general, for flexible search on Marriott.com, I use Firefox for Mac without logging in.

For reservations, I log in to Marriott.com with Safari for Mac. But then Flexible search doesn't work.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:12 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I also notice the Ren is fully booked during that same week. So there may be some "event" going on in Mobile that week.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:23 pm

Now is not the time to stay at the Battle House property. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. The hotel has a historic side and a modern side. The historic side is the one with the grand central rotunda. It is closed and in fact the entire historic part of the property is closed. You cannot enter the hotel from the street that runs in front. Rather, you have to drive around to the side where you enter the modern property. A temporary desk has been set up for check ins. The restaurant is closed and reopens in two weeks. The rotunda and historic rooms open in December. I had hoped as a titanium to get an upgrade to a suite. The hotel is dead quiet. But I was told all suites are booked despite availability being shown online. I was told that emails were sent out to everyone to advise them of the closures. I received none. I asked what was being done for people given the lack of facilities. I was told nothing. I asked if my $20 parking could be comped. I was told that a separate company runs the parking.

Notice shown when you book a room:

Historic guest rooms/Royal Street Tavern/The Trellis Room/The Spa and pool not available Oct 8-Dec 1 2019 due to renovation. Club Lounge temporarily relocated. Exact dates vary.

The hotel will likely be lovely from December going forward. It isn't now.
Old May 27, 2020, 6:52 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Stayed here for a night this past weekend.

Talked with the check-in person, both towers have now been renovated, though the "modern" side which has the Spa and the CL is closed right now. Our room was in the historic tower. The room was actually very nice. We had a one night stay using a free night from my wife's account. As a Gold elite, she didn't get an upgraded but the room we had would probably be considered a Jr. Suite in most other hotels. From what I could tell, due to the tower layout, the rooms tend to each have a slightly different layouts. It reminded me a little of the King Edwards in Toronto (back when it was in the Starwood portfolio.)

The room had two nice sided TVs one in front of the full sized couch and the other near the bed. They did offer us a $10 breakfast card (since I was a Titanium, even though the room wasn't in my name.) I didn't push to get 2 of those cards nor the upgrade as we we were only staying the one night. We got the croissant breakfast sandwich and split it between the 2 of us. It was very filling with a big piece of chicken, some bacon and eggs. And I will say that at $8, it was very reasonably priced (as it was huge.)

I was a bit disappointed with the surrounding area which had a lot of closures due to the virus. So there wasn't as much to do as might normally be available. Social distancing was not a problem here at all due to the low numbers of people around here and in the Mobile downtown area.
Old May 29, 2021, 4:47 pm
formerly smoaky

Anyone stay here recently? I’m a platinum elite traveling with family so we’d need two beds. Was going to burn a few free night certificates, wondered if we’d get upgraded. Is the entire property recently renovated? Find the recent reviews sort of mixed. I usually prefer new hotels but this seemed like a fun one, and if it was renovated I’d be game.
cur likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by nycflyer17
Anyone stay here recently? I’m a platinum elite traveling with family so we’d need two beds. Was going to burn a few free night certificates, wondered if we’d get upgraded. Is the entire property recently renovated? Find the recent reviews sort of mixed. I usually prefer new hotels but this seemed like a fun one, and if it was renovated I’d be game.
I'm way too late to be responsive to your question, but I'll answer anyway: as an Ambassador on a one-night stay with numerous suites available for booking at the time of check in, I received a deluxe king room on a deluxe king booking. Not even a slight upgrade. I had to ask how breakfast worked (lounge closed weekends, got a $10 voucher which covers the meager continental so they are in technical compliance). And I had to ask about a welcome amenity and was told they "do points for that" -- but after an awkward pause was offered a $10 voucher instead. Very odd.

Turndown service (after I requested it on the app) turned down the bed and refreshed the bathroom towels but nothing else, not even bottled water. At no point was any note or amenity left in the room, which I found odd for a full service property.

So, I don't see how this place is worth the premium over other Mobile hotels unless others just suck, which maybe they do. I will say the spicy shrimp on toast (available at the hotel tavern) is both a steal at $12 and amazingly good:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.