Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mattress run for platinum status - worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mattress run for platinum status - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2023, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LTO100
I got the Chase Boundless card earlier this year so I’m not eligible for the Brilliant
Not eligible for the SUB on the Brilliant unless you were approved within the last 90 days. Again, Marriott SUB rules are complex but you CAN have both Brilliant and Boundless.

https://frequentmiler.com/marriott-card-eligible/

Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
If you travel outside North America the upgrades and lounge etc etc would make it worthwhile in my personal opinion. In the US I think it depends on what type of hotels you use,
Old Sep 26, 2023, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by frankvb
To the OP I'd suggest to apply for the AMEX Bonvoy business card - you'll get a free night cert and 15 nights credit so not a bad deal, even if you never use that card. You do need to at least have an idea to start you own business, e.g. selling stuff on Ebay, though AMEX isn't particularly strict about that in my experience.
Already have a Bonvoy personal card as well as a Bonvoy business card.
frankvb likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lewis_m
Do you have any Bonvoy credit card at all right now? Getting the Bold ($0) or Boundless ($95) from Chase would get you 15 night credit for less than the Bonvoy Brilliant.
Yes, have the Amex versions of the personal and business cards already.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 7:32 pm

Similar question, thought not to post a new thread.

To begin, I have the brilliant card, so I'll maintain platinum regardless.

It looks like I'll be 1-3 nights short of actually qualifying for Platinum. Does it make any sense to make a run for it?

From what I can tell only thing I'll be gaining is the choice benefit. I personally don't value SNAs that much for my anticipated travel plans next year. Is there any other consideration that I'm forgetting about which would make qualifying for Platinum worth while?
Old Dec 2, 2023, 8:13 pm

Only other thing I can think of is that selecting 5 ENCs would get you closer to LTP but with the Brilliant everyone's LTP now. Soon enough they'll make Amb the new Tit,, Cobalt the new Tit, and add unobtanium the new cobalt.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by applesauce
Only other thing I can think of is that selecting 5 ENCs would get you closer to LTP but with the Brilliant everyone's LTP now. Soon enough they'll make Amb the new Tit,, Cobalt the new Tit, and add unobtanium the new cobalt.
I'm actually well over the required nights for LTP, just need a few more years to go...

If there's really no additional consideration other than the choice benefit, seems there's not much need to bother pushing to 50 nights this year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:23 am

Worth mattress running to upgrade from Platinum to Titanium for 2024? What are the tangible benefits of Titanium vs. Platinum? A Free Night Certificate and eligibility for getting United Airlines Silver Status - anything else that I am missing?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
75% point bonus on stays, vice only 50% for Platinum.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
It depends, giving status like that makes people more likely to book with Marriott (to enjoy the benefits) rather than using OTAs, plus those people have to actually stay at the hotel and booked directly with Marriott to get the benefits.

I think Marriott is very happy with the situation so I don't think they see that as a problem as such.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 10:27 am

I totally get it from Marriott's side. I'm speaking as a consumer. There's a large group of capturable market as you say, though probably lower-spend less frequent stays/person. They make money through volume and annual fees. They must calculate profits from this to exceed potential lost revenue from the true butt-in-bed consumers who stay more often and possibly spend a bit more/visit. Why give both ENCs *and* status? Only because status gets enough suckers who stay 2 nights a year and either don't use the FNC or use it suboptimally but pay the $650/yr, adding to the bottom line.

The inevitable outcome for consumers though is diluted loyalty benefit (gold is the new silver, etc and hotels offering less for a given tier as the individual hotels don't see a benefit of rewarding loyalty). Eventually to reestablish order corporate will create additional differentiated tiers. Maybe plat loses lounge access but maintains late checkout. Maybe 'roped' areas like centurion lounges. All my speculation of course but history repeats itself.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I totally get it from Marriott's side. I'm speaking as a consumer. There's a large group of capturable market as you say, though probably lower-spend less frequent stays/person. They make money through volume and annual fees. They must calculate profits from this to exceed potential lost revenue from the true butt-in-bed consumers who stay more often and possibly spend a bit more/visit. Why give both ENCs *and* status? Only because status gets enough suckers who stay 2 nights a year and either don't use the FNC or use it suboptimally but pay the $650/yr, adding to the bottom line.

The inevitable outcome for consumers though is diluted loyalty benefit (gold is the new silver, etc and hotels offering less for a given tier as the individual hotels don't see a benefit of rewarding loyalty). Eventually to reestablish order corporate will create additional differentiated tiers. Maybe plat loses lounge access but maintains late checkout. Maybe 'roped' areas like centurion lounges. All my speculation of course but history repeats itself.
This is all maybe, again good for the CC companies who take $650 for someone who only stays 2 nights a year. If they stay enough they will get the same status anyway. Compared to people outside the US, people in the US can get 15 ENC just by signing up for a credit card, so after 35 nights they are platinum anyway. If you have multiple cards you can probably be titanium with 35 nights/year. Are they big spenders? I am not sure. However, it's a totally different story for us outside the US who have no credit card to give us ANYTHING - every status we achieved is butt in bed. So, the one that should be mad about this is us.

But I don't think Marriott will dilute the benefits because once they have done that no one would want to spend $650/year for that card and people would be fleeing from them. As I'm sure they can get a Hyatt card too. If they ripped my LTP benefits, I won't book with them or stay with them, and I'm sure a lot of people are thinking the same.

I don't understand why people said lounge food can be all eaten up - a friend of mine used to work in a FS Marriott and she used to work in the lounge. She said food never runs out, if it runs out in the lounge they will order the kitchen to make more. It's not like a clan come in and ate everything and no one else gets food. The other lounge attendant told me the same. When a friend said kids eat everything from the lounge - I said mine ate like a pack of cereal and a yoghurt - he didn't take your food since you don't even eat those things anyway. The most crowded lounge I went to is LH SEN lounge at IAD and QR OWS lounge in DOH.
SPN Lifer and applesauce like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
I’m U.K. based. My stays are split between U.K., US and Europe. I was previously Titanium from the merger but dropped to Gold due to a covid reduction in travel. I have the U.K. Marriott Amex with its 15 nights but I’m just a few nights short of Plat. I’ve used points for the nights required in a fairly cheap local Bonvoy hotel. I think it will be worth it for the 5 SNAs (business trip planned in an expensive US city next year, if not will use in London) alone, if not for the free brekkie!
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by puchong
Worth mattress running to upgrade from Platinum to Titanium for 2024? What are the tangible benefits of Titanium vs. Platinum? A Free Night Certificate and eligibility for getting United Airlines Silver Status - anything else that I am missing?
Those are the main ones. You might have better luck getting things like parking or resort fees waived by asking nicely as a Titanium than as a Platinum, but as far as published benefits there isn't that much difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.