Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Reasonable comp for a lost night's sleep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2023, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Curious what most people would do in this situation. Traveling with family on leisure, titanium. Renaissance property "Upgraded" to a room with hallways on three sides and under the gym. Weird room with no natural light as the windows are inward into the property with concrete above. Not a big deal, we're using the room to sleep not stargaze. First three nights of the stay were uneventful if a little noisy with passersby.

Final night about 4:30am someone decides to make use of the 24 hour gym and slams weights on the ground with a ferocity like that floor did something awful to them. Whole family awake, spouse losing it. After 30 minutes finally call the front desk and they're generally unsympathetic. I asked them only to go speak with the disruptive guest. "We're not gonna do that." I point out they'd do it if it were someone making a ruckus on the hallways. Offered to move rooms (at 5am on final night of stay) then generically mentions points. I just wanted quiet.

It went on for 90 minutes. Just poor gym etiquette when you know there are rooms below.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 6:31 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
While a sympathize with you, I don't think this has anything to do with Gym etiquette.

Whoever is using it had the right to do so, I would be surprised if s/he knew there was someone sleeping one floor below.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 6:38 am

Its a hard situation. I am guessing they werent putting things down that hard, it just sounded like it. A mouse in a drop ceiling can sound like an elephant, probably the same thing here.

If they complain to the guy in the gym, what compensation should he get for not being allowed to use the 24 hour gym? Maybe he chose this hotel because of the gym you are preventing him from using.

They woke you up at 4:30, which is annoying but I cannot imagine more than 10,000 points is appropriate
Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm sympathetic, because that would annoy me as well especially on a family stay. But your title about a "lost night of sleep" is a bit hyperbolic given you were woken up at 4:30am. And it sounds like the front desk offered what they could--when you refused to move rooms that tells them you weren't THAT upset at the situation. I don't think you're due any compensation at all (but I'm one of the more conservative people here regarding compensation), and will just know on future stays not to accept an upgrade to the weird, under-the-gym room.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I don't get this whole "My sympathies but this isn't the hotel's fault". It's like saying thoughts and prayers, totally useless.

The whole purpose of staying at a hotel at whatever destination is to get a good night's sleep/rest. Waking up at 4:30 AM because of loud thuds is NOT just a minor inconvenience nor hyperbolic. And who would want to move rooms at 5AM WITH family because of the hotel's incompetence of opening the gym 24h with rooms directly below it. What if they had a morning flight? Or a tour? Would they be able to go back to sleep after packing and then unpacking again?

Doesn't matter if it wasn't that loud, it was loud enough to awaken guests. This is entirely the hotel's fault and no excuses should be made.

OP, why not share which Renaissance this is?
GB, BigFlyer, SEA-Flyer and 24 others like this.

Last edited by supatight80; Nov 28, 2023 at 8:55 am
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The lesson here is reject a bad room (and this sounds like a terrible room) right away, don't wait until 4:30 am on your last night to complain.

The usual comp for a major service fail is one night's stay worth of points.
SPN Lifer, jayer, clarkef and 11 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The fault here is a hotel that has a room located directly below a 24 hr gym. Not with the gym goer that chooses to use an amenity that's offered. As Kacee said the best time to address it was when assigned the room.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
At 430, you would also have people with early flights with no courtesy let doors close loudly nearby.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: Accor Classic, BA Silver, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Marriott Gold
I agree it's the hotel's fault. They shouldn't be selling a room directly under a 24-hour gym with inadequate soundproofing. They should either be installing soundproofing, restricting the hours when the weights can be used or not selling the room underneath as a guest room.

There's a budget hotel chain in the UK (Premier Inn) that'll give you your money back if you don't have a great night's sleep. I once had a night comped at a Starwood Suites because I'd had hardly any sleep (a combination of the air conditioning having failed and someone parking an RV outside my window and leaving the engine running all night).

I think that a free night or the equivalent in points would not be unreasonable. Given the OP slept until 4:30am, a 50% refund or the equivalent in points should be the least the hotel should offer.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wrp96
The fault here is a hotel that has a room located directly below a 24 hr gym. Not with the gym goer that chooses to use an amenity that's offered. As Kacee said the best time to address it was when assigned the room.
It’s crappy gym design - most of the hotel gyms seem to be on the ground floor or somewhere else away from the guest rooms.

Perhaps the OP wasn’t aware that the gym was directly above their room until the noise started at 4:30am? I certainly don’t always investigate where the gym is if I don’t intend to use it, or for that matter try to figure out what is above my room… unless or until there is a problem.

I am always surprised by how easily some people here reject the thought of compensation for a major issue. Not being able to sleep for a significant part of the night is a major defect of the room. OP should be compensated… and the property should decommission that room if they want to avoid future problems.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Kacee
The lesson here is reject a bad room (and this sounds like a terrible room) right away, don't wait until 4:30 am on your last night to complain.
Sometimes, as in this case, the design flaws / discomforts aren't immediately apparent upon entry.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I had the same issue once when I heard the treadmill at certain times - can't remember which hotel and where but I agree it's annoying.

As mentioned by others, reject a bad room straight away.

However, I will never understand why people post on a forum to get advice, but don't have the courtesy to name the hotel so others can avoid the same situation.
awayIgo and AlwaysFlyStar like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:35 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by dewidaniels
I agree it's the hotel's fault. They shouldn't be selling a room directly under a 24-hour gym with inadequate soundproofing. They should either be installing soundproofing, restricting the hours when the weights can be used or not selling the room underneath as a guest room.

There's a budget hotel chain in the UK (Premier Inn) that'll give you your money back if you don't have a great night's sleep. I once had a night comped at a Starwood Suites because I'd had hardly any sleep (a combination of the air conditioning having failed and someone parking an RV outside my window and leaving the engine running all night).

I think that a free night or the equivalent in points would not be unreasonable. Given the OP slept until 4:30am, a 50% refund or the equivalent in points should be the least the hotel should offer.
The old Hampton Inn guarantee if you were not "100% satisfied" you got a refund. You can't make a promise like that anymore as too many folks would abuse it
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Can we back up a bit here? Why are they putting Titanium members in that kind of room in the first place knowing they're under a 24-hour gym? At a minimum, when they offered that room type, they should have disclosed where it is and that it is prone to nuisance noise (i.e. do you want a bigger room that's under a gym as an upgrade or would you prefer a quiet room that isn't as big?). The OP therefore has every right to be pissed off. I would have demanded a full refund or equivalent points. The fact that only part of the night's sleep was lost isn't the point. The compensation shouldn't only be for lost sleep, it's the inconvenience and the not very elite experience that warrant meaningful compensation in this situation.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 10:23 am

TI or not TI, nobody should be placed directly under a 24 hr gym with poor soundproofing.

Since there is already a thread on the idiots who design Marriott hotel rooms, I think there should be one on the idiots who design Marriott branded hotels. For a complaint like this one, I wouldn't expect much in comp and no more than half the points for one night. On the other hand, if I had a very serious complaint, I would share my experience with both Marriott corporate and the hotel owner, just to test the GM's diplomatic skills.
yensidw and justDave like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.