Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Points stay: invalid certificate per front desk; demand cash rate payment if not reso

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points stay: invalid certificate per front desk; demand cash rate payment if not reso

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

I am currently staying at a Marriott property outside the US (happy to indicate the property name or the country where I am if that would make a difference).

As mentioned in the subject title, the reservation: on points, and booked directly with Marriott. Was able to check-in ok. Hours later, front desk called the room, and informed me they could not locate the certificate associated with the points redemption. Got on a long call, first with Marriott customer care, and then Marriott CSR also spoke to the manager on duty but no resolution.

Hotel created a case with Marriott, and the person I spoke to at Marriott also created one as well. Hopefully everything can be sorted out prior to my departure.

Has anyone experienced this before? What was the outcome? If the hotel is not able to find and attach the certificate, will Marriott reimburse me the cash rate the hotel would be seeking?
yscleo likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:43 pm

Is it the reservation doesn’t have a certificate attached or the certificate doesn’t match reservation?

IIRC, the reservation should list the certificate number (or at least the last 4-5 digits).

Ask to pay the Bonvoy reimbursement rate and call it a day (and get your points back)
Repooc17 and SkyLich like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I'd proactively reach out to Marriott Bonvoy Lurker as well and see if they can assist in expediting a resolution to this
yscleo and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
Is it the reservation doesn’t have a certificate attached or the certificate doesn’t match reservation?

IIRC, the reservation should list the certificate number (or at least the last 4-5 digits).

Ask to pay the Bonvoy reimbursement rate and call it a day (and get your points back)
Hotel manager is saying he can't see any certificate attached to the reservation.

Originally Posted by Duke787
I'd proactively reach out to Marriott Bonvoy Lurker as well and see if they can assist in expediting a resolution to this
Good idea - thanks. Lurker (team) was extremely helpful for me just a few days ago on a duplicated parking charge (different property).
​​​​​​​
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Hotel manager is saying he can't see any certificate attached to the reservation.

Good idea - thanks. Lurker (team) was extremely helpful for me just a few days ago on a duplicated parking charge (different property).
but do you see a certificate number on your confirmation email or when you open up your reservation online?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks
but do you see a certificate number on your confirmation email or when you open up your reservation online?
I see the certificate number, but the manager insisted he does not see anything in the property's system.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 2:14 pm

I see the certificate number, but the manager insisted he does not see anything in the property's system.
This situation doesn’t make sense. Without knowing the brand or how many nights and what type of certificate you are using it’s hard to say what is going on. Is the property almost sold out during your nights or half empty?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Based on my reading on this forum, and my own minor issues, Marriott's IT has been known to drop/disconnect certificates on occasion, particularly when changing reservations or when the booking was first made. I have personally had more problems with free night certificates rather than points directly, e.g. last week the free nights didn't attach properly to a reservation and instead the system took points (fixed by my ambassador). The fact you have a certificate with a number seems to imply that it isn't the case, but there is no obvious reason for the hotel to otherwise demand money.

Something seems to be a bit wrong, I guess the hints from others are that the hotel is probably being unreasonable (and is there some underlying reason for that). Crossed fingers they can fix before you leave, it definitely feels like a Marriott <=> Hotel discussion, unless when you look back at your account activity and notice the points weren't really properly taken (may have happened), but even then, only Marriott can fix. Hence the suggestions to escalate to the lurker are probably the best idea, if customer services can't help.

Afterwards you should ask whoever is to blame for the wasted time on your trip on calls/hold, perhaps 5-10k Marriott points, or a comp'ed few cocktails at the bar may be appropriate.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Based on my reading on this forum, and my own minor issues, Marriott's IT has been known to drop/disconnect certificates on occasion, particularly when changing reservations or when the booking was first made. I have personally had more problems with free night certificates rather than points directly, e.g. last week the free nights didn't attach properly to a reservation and instead the system took points (fixed by my ambassador). The fact you have a certificate with a number seems to imply that it isn't the case, but there is no obvious reason for the hotel to otherwise demand money.

Something seems to be a bit wrong, I guess the hints from others are that the hotel is probably being unreasonable (and is there some underlying reason for that). Crossed fingers they can fix before you leave, it definitely feels like a Marriott <=> Hotel discussion, unless when you look back at your account activity and notice the points weren't really properly taken (may have happened), but even then, only Marriott can fix. Hence the suggestions to escalate to the lurker are probably the best idea, if customer services can't help.

Afterwards you should ask whoever is to blame for the wasted time on your trip on calls/hold, perhaps 5-10k Marriott points, or a comp'ed few cocktails at the bar may be appropriate.
Thanks for the feedback. Have contacted lurker and already received additional information. Will be heading down to the hotel lobby shortly (already morning here). Fingers crossed the hotel has some good news.

Points had been deducted from my account during booking.

I don't have enough info to conclude exactly what is causing the issue, but it does seem weird. I have been staying on points during this whole trip, and have experienced no issues elsewhere.

I recollect now during the check-in process, the representative noted the property's system was shown I am Gold with Marriott, except I am Platinum. She did mention the system had just been upgraded. She was able to see I was staying on points but the manager later told me she didn't do it correctly. Something's up...

I have stayed in this hotel a lot over the years. I am hoping the points issue would get fixed prior to my check out, and this won't be my last stay here.
yscleo and littlevoices like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I recollect now during the check-in process, the representative noted the property's system was shown I am Gold with Marriott, except I am Platinum. She did mention the system had just been upgraded. She was able to see I was staying on points but the manager later told me she didn't do it correctly. Something's up...
Sounds like hotel IT problem.

I have stayed in this hotel a lot over the years.
Wow, that's pretty poor treatment of a frequent guest, even by Parisienne standards.
DiverDave, yscleo, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sounds like hotel IT problem.

Wow, that's pretty poor treatment of a frequent guest, even by Parisienne standards.
Right? I don’t know why the hotel is even expecting the guest to do anything. They booked a room with points, had their points deducted and have what looks like a valid reservation. Everything on the backend should be between the property and Bonvoy.
yscleo, rylan, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Right? I don’t know why the hotel is even expecting the guest to do anything. They booked a room with points, had their points deducted and have what looks like a valid reservation. Everything on the backend should be between the property and Bonvoy.
Agreed, this is a Marriott IT problem and they should be handling it rather than making you waste your time/vacation on it.
notquiteaff, yscleo, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
FWIW, this is the format of the confirmation email, showing the Certificate Number :

If I had this confirmation, I would be joining the “I’m not wasting any more of my time, you speak to Marriott and get it sorted between you” side.
notquiteaff, yscleo and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
FWIW, this is the format of the confirmation email, showing the Certificate Number :

If I had this confirmation, I would be joining the “I’m not wasting any more of my time, you speak to Marriott and get it sorted between you” side.
I checked through various reservations on my end including those for points and for cash. In all instances, the email I receive, only provides dates booked and a Confirmation number. I couldn't find one example where I see a Certificate Number as illustrated above.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by cre95
I checked through various reservations on my end including those for points and for cash. In all instances, the email I receive, only provides dates booked and a Confirmation number. I couldn't find one example where I see a Certificate Number as illustrated above.
if you are using gmail, need to click “view entire message” to see the rate information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.