Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Redeeming an award but points expired anyway ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming an award but points expired anyway ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2023, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO, OP has a strong case once the redeemed nights are "consumed" as booked.
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:27 pm

ii. Awards redeemed by a Member prior to Point forfeiture are still valid even though the Award may not yet have been fulfilled at the time of Point forfeiture. However, if those Awards are cancelled after the Points expiration date, those Points are still subject to forfeiture. For example, if a Member redeems Points for an Award Redemption Stay that occurs after the Points expiration date, and then cancels the reservation prior to arrival without having completed any qualifying activity to extend the expiration date, those Points will expire.

Directly from the same T&C you are also quoting.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 12:28 am
Original Poster
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
IMHO, OP has a strong case once the redeemed nights are "consumed" as booked.
I will try after my stay concludes at the end of this month. As after providing the screenshot above, i was again pointed out with the exception rule in part ii.

Originally Posted by iknowthings
Directly from the same T&C you are also quoting.
As explained before, this exception is meant for the expiring points that are "locked" inside a redeemed booking. And not the un-redeemed points that are expiring. Therefore, this exception only applies to the former. Though it does IMPLY that the latter follows the same principal, it does not explicitly say it, therefore does not qualify unrefutably as an exception for the un-redeemed portion.

Awards redeemed by a Member prior to Point forfeiture are still valid
Its also funny because the first sentence of this "exclusion" uses the word redeemed AND says that the points are still valid. In that sense, the remaining points in that account should be given the same treatment and only expire if this booking is cancelled. That makes more sense.

Last edited by jedicat666; Mar 24, 2023 at 12:37 am
Old Mar 24, 2023, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by jedicat666
Its also funny because the first sentence of this "exclusion" uses the word redeemed AND says that the points are still valid. In that sense, the remaining points in that account should be given the same treatment and only expire if this booking is cancelled. That makes more sense.
The thing is, had the stay been completed, the "non-locked" points would likely have been reinstated.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:47 am

I had/have approx 200k points. Last time I earned points was Feb 2021. In Sept 2022 I reserved a hotel for July 2023 utilizing 170k points. I can no longer go on vacation due to personal reasons. I notice that in Feb 2023 about 30k points expired. Did my Sept 2022 reservation not reset the clock?

At this point I assume once I cancel my July 2023 reservation I will also lose the 170k points? Is there anything I can to at this point? If I buy some points today...then go ahead and cancel after that, would I at least salvage the 170k?

I notice this in their T&C's....yikes

ii. Awards redeemed by a Member prior to Point forfeiture are still valid even though the Award may not yet have been fulfilled at the time of Point forfeiture.However, if those Awards are cancelled after the Points expiration date, those Points are still subject to forfeiture. For example, if a Member redeems Points for an Award Redemption Stay that occurs after the Points expiration date, and then cancels the reservation prior to arrival without having completed any qualifying activity to extend the expiration date, those Points will expire.
Old May 31, 2023, 7:02 am

It sounds like it would extend them, but could also see reading it the other way. I would email them to get it in writing that your points will be fine before canceling
Old Nov 8, 2023, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by jedicat666
I will try after my stay concludes at the end of this month. As after providing the screenshot above, i was again pointed out with the exception rule in part ii.

As explained before, this exception is meant for the expiring points that are "locked" inside a redeemed booking. And not the un-redeemed points that are expiring. Therefore, this exception only applies to the former. Though it does IMPLY that the latter follows the same principal, it does not explicitly say it, therefore does not qualify unrefutably as an exception for the un-redeemed portion.

Any news jedicat666? I have the same problem and also struggeling with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.