Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott no longer acknowledges status ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott no longer acknowledges status ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
That's all fine and good, dude, but seriously, what's the secret password to get the macarons? Isn't sharing caring??
And is there a slightly-different pronunciation of the password if you want the Hawaiian version instead of the French one?
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
And is there a slightly-different pronunciation of the password if you want the Hawaiian version instead of the French one?
Maybe they'll give you a macar​​​oon-flavored macaron. oh là là!
Old Mar 8, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Maybe they'll give you a macar​​​oon-flavored macaron. oh là là!
My parents were scolded in a small Texas town for ordering coconut macaroons (12 for $2) but saying macarons like the French :-)
SPN Lifer and platbrownguy like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I agree with others that status acknowledgement seems to be much lower than it was in the past.

I was thinking from a hotel's perspective. Hotels are very different than airlines. When flying on a specific airline, you are flying on that airline, so you are directly contributing to that airline's revenue since each airplane is directly owned by the airline.

Hotels are different. While there are thousands of Marriott-branded hotels, the vast majority of them are not owned by Marriott, but by 3rd parties.

So when one of us enters a hotel and asks for breakfast, the hotel will see it as a loss. They could be thinking that they could have given the room to a non elite and have gotten more revenue from it instead of giving all these freebies to the elite member.

They don't realize that status helps the hotels collectively. Sure, looking at offering breakfast individually can be a loss. But by offering breakfast, there are more bookings for the entire hotel system, and all around increased revenue.

Going back to the topic, I have noticed that I only get "elite" treatment at the actual hotels I frequent. At one hotel I stay at for 2 days each week, they always save my favorite room and have it ready by 10 AM. In fact, they "block" the room and only give it out to somebody else if they are full. If I just randomly came into this hotel as an Ambassador, I doubt I would have gotten this treatment.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Xero
I agree with others that status acknowledgement seems to be much lower than it was in the past.

I was thinking from a hotel's perspective. Hotels are very different than airlines. When flying on a specific airline, you are flying on that airline, so you are directly contributing to that airline's revenue since each airplane is directly owned by the airline.

Hotels are different. While there are thousands of Marriott-branded hotels, the vast majority of them are not owned by Marriott, but by 3rd parties.

So when one of us enters a hotel and asks for breakfast, the hotel will see it as a loss. They could be thinking that they could have given the room to a non elite and have gotten more revenue from it instead of giving all these freebies to the elite member.

They don't realize that status helps the hotels collectively. Sure, looking at offering breakfast individually can be a loss. But by offering breakfast, there are more bookings for the entire hotel system, and all around increased revenue.

Going back to the topic, I have noticed that I only get "elite" treatment at the actual hotels I frequent. At one hotel I stay at for 2 days each week, they always save my favorite room and have it ready by 10 AM. In fact, they "block" the room and only give it out to somebody else if they are full. If I just randomly came into this hotel as an Ambassador, I doubt I would have gotten this treatment.
If you're a first-time Ambassador guest to a property, there's no way for a property to block your favorite room as you won't have a favorite room because you haven't stayed at said property before.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Last time I stayed in a Marriott they thanked me profusely for being an elite member and valued guest. Then said my room wasn't available. Turns out 70% of guests that night were platinum or above.

Who cares if they thank me profusely if that doesn't merit much aside from words? Hyatt goes above and beyond and captures my money.
EuropeanPete and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Last time I stayed in a Marriott they thanked me profusely for being an elite member and valued guest. Then said my room wasn't available. Turns out 70% of guests that night were platinum or above.

Who cares if they thank me profusely if that doesn't merit much aside from words? Hyatt goes above and beyond and captures my money.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Going back to the topic, I have noticed that I only get "elite" treatment at the actual hotels I frequent.
Yep - this was often true for me even in the era where the hotel elite statuses were pretty good. Once you got to know the people at the hotel, they'd take great care of you.

Kimpton used to be really good at this. So were some Starwoods.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
This. I am routinely upgraded to a suite on the app weeks/months in advance as soon as I make a reservation at my go-to hotel in Bangkok. I sometimes play a little game to see how quickly the room type changes to a suite after I've made a new reservation. I'm sure other elites get furious when they're not upgraded at check in. I stayed there about once a month last year for a few days each time and have been doing so for ten years (aside from the Great Plague years) so there we are.
SPN Lifer, margarita girl and KRSW like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.