Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott no longer acknowledges status ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Ambassador, Air Canada Aeroplan - Super Elite

I wonder if the brand standards have changed in 2023.

I have been platinum or higher for more than 15 years, and status acknowledgement when checking in was likely over 90%

now, this year I am ambassador for the first time , and have so far a dozen unique stays and not once had anyone so much as mentioned status. ( I have been offered breakfast or the welcome gift/points but the line goes something as bland as “ would you prefer breakfast or “..: )

Of course I have never complained about not being recognized but I do find the sudden change odd
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
You know it. They know it. Having to hear it out loud is merely ego-stroking.
tfung, moondog, mbluecpa and 29 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by piperdown

I have been platinum or higher for more than 15 years, and status acknowledgement when checking in was likely over 90%

now, this year I am ambassador for the first time , and have so far a dozen unique stays and not once had anyone so much as mentioned status. ( I have been offered breakfast or the welcome gift/points but the line goes something as bland as “ would you prefer breakfast or “..: )

Of course I have never complained about not being recognized but I do find the sudden change odd
Are these the same hotels you'd stayed in pre-Ambassador? Perhaps they just "know" you.

David
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:11 pm

I have noticed that the staff aren't as "friendly" since the pandemic .

Will be staying at a few different Marriott's in the next few months and report back on experience.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Ambassador, Air Canada Aeroplan - Super Elite
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
You know it. They know it. Having to hear it out loud is merely ego-stroking.
Where there is zero mention of status and and reservation is exactly as I booked ( ie no offer of upgrade) , then I actually wonder if “ they know it “ LOL

in 2022, ( and earlier ) the nice “ thank you for being a xxxx elite “ and the occasional “ we have upgraded your room as a thank you for being xxxx elite“ made the travel experience all that much nicer.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
No difference in 2022 or 2023 stays in Asia.
ftrichard and Bajdkotb like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I checked into three different Marriott properties over the past week and my status was acknowledged each time.

Last edited by jalves; Mar 6, 2023 at 3:47 pm
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
(i e. no offer of upgrade)
Hrmph. That's just SOP for Marriott anyway; if I don't use the chat to beg for an upgrade I wouldn't get the scant few I do now, and this has been the case for years now.
rjburns and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:33 pm

I stayed at one Marriott so far this year and my Silver status was acknowledged which I found weird as it barely qualities, if at all, as elite 😆
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:44 pm

As long as I get my points, breakfast, etc... I don't need an acknowledgement.
moondog, KRSW, Metanoia and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver

I do get it as part of the greeting way more than I don't but I do think there is definitely major inconsistencies in the level of service/general attitude toward their job throughout the travel industry today. Flights, hotels, heck even across the Starbucks around the country.
dw likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hyatt is much more consistent in acknowledging status. I find it slightly embarrassing.
KRSW and wuzziduzziman like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hyatt is much more consistent in acknowledging status. I find it slightly embarrassing.
Late last year I had my first Hyatt stay in a decade, so obviously I'm just a base member. In every single interaction I had with the staff I was profusely thanked for my loyalty.

And I was reminded why I almost never stay in Hyatts since the stay was so poor, but at least my "loyalty" was repeatedly acknowledged.
SPN Lifer and Tanic like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:26 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Kacee
IHG as well, I cringe a bit every time. Can't remember the last time it was not acknowledged. More important that I get the benefits I am entitled to and I have to say that has been remarkably consistent in the past year as well!
moondog, SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by ReallyNotFrequentFlyer
I stayed at one Marriott so far this year and my Silver status was acknowledged which I found weird as it barely qualities, if at all, as elite 😆
Probably thanking you since they don't have to give you anything.
yyzflyer, SPN Lifer, uanj and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.