Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status: Devaluations / changes inevitable after credit card changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Status: Devaluations / changes inevitable after credit card changes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I'll probably end this year with missing Globalist, and being Explorist. That said, I feel like Explorist is not all that different from Marriott Platinum.
I’d say Explorist is more comparable to Gold than Platinum.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cfabar1 (Post # 75)
I'm debating whether it makes sense to continue paying $650 for Marriott Platinum, especially since I can get Marriott Gold with the Amex platinum card . . . .
Marriott Bonvy Gold Elite status has minimal benefits.

It was created in 2018 so Marriott would not have to give all those United Airlines MileagePlus Premier Gold members the breakfast and lounge benefits of what is now called Marriott Bonvy Platinum Elite status.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by B744F14C172
I'm Ambassador and have received exactly 0 suite upgrades this year that I didn't use a SNA for. Honestly very little difference between Plt/Tit/Amb it seems, you get nothing at all 3 levels.
I'm titanium and I've had a bunch of suite upgrades. and I never use SNAs, I just let them expire... If I really want a suite I ask via the app chat.
JapanFlyerT and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:20 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I'm titanium and I've had a bunch of suite upgrades. and I never use SNAs, I just let them expire... If I really want a suite I ask via the app chat.
Me too, but I am a Gold Elite
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:34 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by golfhan1
I have heard in one of the post from Chinese based website, but indeed CANNOT confirm, the truthfulness of these statement whether it is 100% true, partially true OR completely BS. This is referring to Platinum status benefit being downgraded, altered, wiped out or however you wanna call it.....

1. Membership extend for 1 year
2. Only Titanium and Ambassador can enter lounge
3. Platinum cannot upgrade to Suite
4. Late check out: gold to 14, platinum 15 and titanium to 16:00
5. Platinum choose 1 gift, Titanium 2 gifts, Ambassador 3 gifts (but what? Details not revealed)
Are these news/changements confirmed?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
No. To the contrary, the exclusion of Marriott Bonvy Platinum Elites from lounges has been expressly denied by Marriott.
dw, Happy, nacho and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Guate87
I am Titanium. This summer the Moxy Lisbon refused to give us even one hour later for checkout (noon). I stated that even Platinums get Marriott's "Guaranteed" 4 pm late checkout. They laughed.

Breakfast was similar, with them trying to charge me full price then, after my refusal, charging my wife. After multiple conversations, they agreed to give both of us the breakfast discount each day.

Marriotts charge resort fees on redemptions even for Pl and Ti. This $650 card should come with an exemption from resort fees.

I am letting my status drop to Platinum next year and spending more nights at Hilton properties, where I am Diamond and don't have to pay resort fees on redemptions. Next year I might get the $450 AMEX Hilton but definitely not the $650 Marriott card.
The W in Osaka said I (currently Titanium) can use the pool for free, but it is ¥6,000+ for my partner to use the pool. However, if we get an upgrade to a suite we can both use it for free. Go figure.

On the other hand, our 5 night Sheraton Japan redemption had no resort fees.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Ken C
It seems like opening LT Titanium would the next step to incentivize a whole subset of loyalists along with the new card holders.
I have 2 years of Titanium and LT Titanium would definitely make me prioritize Marriott assuming they use 10 years Titanium as the benchmark rather than base points.

Now that I don't have to stay with Marriott at all to requalify for Platinum, I think I'll try to get a status challenge for Hyatt Globalist and stay with them whenever there's a reasonable Hyatt available.
When there isn't a good Hyatt, I'll be agnostic between Marriott and Hilton whereas I would prioritize Marriott in the past.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by saecotech
Me too, but I am a Gold Elite
Lucky you. Everywhere I stay seems to be sold out, or they just give me a room upgrade but not to a suite. Totally motivates me to retain Ambassador. I never ask ahead in the app, seems entitled and pushy.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Hold Amex Bonvoy Brilliant and found out about the changes to the CC to the next year. In the previous case, I de facto got 50k pts certificate for $150 (which is worth it's value) since I'd always spend $300 on the CC with Marriott; now it's 85k pts certificate for $350 - which kinda does miss the sweet spot as that's close what you oftenly pay if you use the cash rate (I'm likely to spend $25 / month for dining to get back the $300 there). Makes the math to justify the CC much harder. Only going to keep it for the moment since I'm almost LT Platinum and I was expecting not to make Platinum next year (less travel), so this will bridge the gap and make LT faster
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:03 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by GVA
$650 is still an expensive annual fee. The Hilton Aspire at $450 offers a lot more value and hasn't seen negative changes to diamond. That makes me believe the number of people who actually sign up to these very premium cards remains quite low or many people have status regardless.
Amex
The cost of becoming Platinum by Amex is $650 a yr - minus benefits
- the 25$ a month restaurant credits- valued at half that = 150$ a yr
and a free 85k night worth at least 350$ easily
= total 500 benefits = about 150$ overall cost each year
Anyone staying more than 1 or 2 times at a good marriott with lounge benefits - e.g., in Asia will easily benefit from this

Chase
The cost of becoming Platinum by 75k spend on Ritz card on january every other year is
$450 a yr annual fee x2= 900 + lost cash of 75k spend = @2.625c = 1968.75 = total 2700$ at least for 2 yrs
Benefits 2 nights = 700$
+ 300$ airline rebates (value 200$ at least each year)
+ value of 150k marriott = about 1000$ -instead of buying them on sale at 0.7c =
Total 2100 benefits - so cost is at least 600 for 2 yrs = 300 a yr

Unlike the blogs telling us how great the Ritz card has become, I think the Amex route is actually much better
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
We knew this card would happen - Marriott is just pushing points and semi benefits to grab the masses. It's a good strategy frankly as loyalty programs cost too much. Owners happy. Marriott happy.

Guests aren't but who cares about them. We've seen on this list complainers who still stay at Marriott got whatever reason - corporate regulations, number of properties, price whatever.

I feel sorry for us based platinums especially.

My only hope for this is they make titanium and ambassador something worthwhile again and meaningfully different from plat, like upgrades to suites only for titanium and above. Lounge access

If this new card heralds in an era of meaningful benefits for tits and above I'm all for it. But I worry that it is just more devaluation.

Lifetime tit here. Zero stays in 2022. Only a handful in 2021. Now globalist and happy iade that switch
I've complained and I don't stay at Marriotts anymore I have shifted all my stays to Hyatt because their loyalty program (for where I travel and what I need) is miles better than Marriott's iffy upgrade lottery. I've yet to have a stay at a Hyatt where I haven't been upgraded and the breakfast has been a great benefit when I travel with people who like breakfast. The parking benefit has been wonderful for when we rent a car. It's not a perfect program but loyalty program competition from Marriott and Hilton is weak. I pop my head in to the forum to see if anything's changed, but it seems like things only get worse.

I'm on track for 90-100 nights with Hyatt. If Marriott's program was better, may of those nights would have gone to Edition Hotels. Sadly, if Hyatt continues without competition, the program will likely degrade.
UA-NYC and gudugan like this.

Last edited by FlyingFromNY; Sep 26, 2022 at 6:41 pm
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
I made Platinum end of last year. I got all excited because, hey, Platinum! It sounded important. For my travel pattern, being Platinum has done absolutely nothing for me. eg I cancelled my award stay at Sheraton Lake Como earlier this month because I knew my SNA would not go through. I ended up making a last minute reservation at a small B&B near Bellagio instead. Location was way better and it was also a lot cheaper. The property was a very intimate mom and pop setup, and the innkeepers made us feel so welcome. Again, did I mention that it was very inexpensive? I just don't think paying more $ to be Marriott Platinum makes sense for me. Unless I get a retention offer, I am not likely to keep my Amex Brilliant. For $650 the sweet spot just isn't there for me. YMMV.

My Chase Ritz card, on the other hand, I will hold on to for dear life. At least for now.
dw and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
When/how do you ask?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by cfabar1
That said, I feel like Explorist is not all that different from Marriott Platinum.
I can tell you as a multi-year Explorist (via MGM Gold tick-tock status matching for years) and Marriott Platinum it's nothing like Marriott Platinum. It's basically points and some executive lounge access instruments and chances at nicer rooms if you stay the required nights, but executive lounges are intermittent at best. I've literally gotten suite upgrades, notes from a hotel manager and cake for being Platinum. Nothing like that for Explorist.

If you want to walk away from Bonvoy I'm not telling you not to, but Explorist is IMO the weakest sauce of the midtier statuses between Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum and Hyatt Explorist. Set your expectations accordingly and you will be satisfied.
dw, SPN Lifer, Happy and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.