Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status: Devaluations / changes inevitable after credit card changes?

Platinum Status: Devaluations / changes inevitable after credit card changes?

Old Sep 22, 22, 12:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK), CT
Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage (Former) Gold, Hyatt Exploits
Posts: 3,585
Platinum Status: Devaluations / changes inevitable after credit card changes?

The Amex Bonvoy Brilliant changes now make Platinum very easy to get. Benefits like breakfast and lounge access now seem like a bit much to offer. Will these be curtailed?
Adelphos is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:55 pm
  #2  
GVA
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Here there everywhere
Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k
Posts: 2,753
$650 is still an expensive annual fee. The Hilton Aspire at $450 offers a lot more value and hasn't seen negative changes to diamond. That makes me believe the number of people who actually sign up to these very premium cards remains quite low or many people have status regardless.
GVA is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:59 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,792
Originally Posted by GVA View Post
and hasn't seen negative changes to diamond. .
apart from getting rid of free breakfast and replacing it with a voucher that gets you a muffin and coffee if you are lucky...
Markie, dw, LarryU and 7 others like this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:03 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 3,039
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
The Amex Bonvoy Brilliant changes now make Platinum very easy to get. Benefits like breakfast and lounge access now seem like a bit much to offer. Will these be curtailed?
Similar situation happened when UA Gold elite included MR Gold status which had (what is now bonvOY Plat benefits). Lounges were overrun until bonvOY devalued Gold to not include breakfast and sent UA Gold elite packing
Markie, SPN Lifer, ryw and 1 others like this.
Tanic is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:21 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,556
Given that Marriott was already giving away Platinum status to new Bonvoy Brilliant applicants last year, perhaps, the numbers aren't as high as we might think. I can't imagine that Marriott would allow this change if it caused the Platinum numbers to increase to a prohibitive amount, but perhaps, that is just wishful thinking...
SPN Lifer and rt23456p like this.
ElevatorEnthusiast is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:21 pm
  #6  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,134
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
Similar situation happened when UA Gold elite included MR Gold status which had (what is now bonvOY Plat benefits). Lounges were overrun until bonvOY devalued Gold to not include breakfast and sent UA Gold elite packing
I wouldn't really say they devalued Marriott Gold - they just renamed it.

Don't forget that during that period, SPG Gold was getting lounge access at Marriotts. And SPG Gold was incredible easy to get.

$650 is a very steep barrier, and only people that travel a lot will impact the lounges. If you're already traveling a lot (or into credit cards), you probably already have Plat via other means.
GoSh4rks is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:38 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,052
Not every person can justify a $650 card fee and theres a whole world of people outside of the USA who are unlikely to be able to access this card anyway.
Radiation Station is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:42 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Marriott, United, Jetblue
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
Given that Marriott was already giving away Platinum status to new Bonvoy Brilliant applicants last year, perhaps, the numbers aren't as high as we might think. I can't imagine that Marriott would allow this change if it caused the Platinum numbers to increase to a prohibitive amount, but perhaps, that is just wishful thinking...
the people you have to feel bad for is the LT Platinum that earned their benefits the hard way spending $100k+ which can now be obtained via a $650/an. fee. Crazy
dw, sxpsxpsxp, SPN Lifer and 4 others like this.
Ken C is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:42 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,556
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks View Post
$650 is a very steep barrier, and only people that travel a lot will impact the lounges. If you're already traveling a lot (or into credit cards), you probably already have Plat via other means.
This is a very fair point - I just had a conversation with my parents who hold the Bonvoy Brilliant but travel rarely (once every two months or so). Giving folks like them Platinum won't affect the lounges and breakfasts significantly (even though my mother claims my father used the lounge access they have from the Ambassador Platinum gift this year to eat 15 strips of bacon all at once).
xooz, dcmike and eponymous_coward like this.
ElevatorEnthusiast is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:42 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,792
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
Given that Marriott was already giving away Platinum status to new Bonvoy Brilliant applicants last year, perhaps, the numbers aren't as high as we might think. I can't imagine that Marriott would allow this change if it caused the Platinum numbers to increase to a prohibitive amount, but perhaps, that is just wishful thinking...
Regardless of the overall # of Platinums...

If you own a hotel and Marriott says to "treat our best and most frequent guests well" and then you find out that the "best guests" are just a bunch of people who paid $650, why would you deliver elite benefits of any relevance? Especially since Marriott clearly isn't enforcing the rules any more?
yurtripper, najama2 and Guate87 like this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:44 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,556
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Regardless of the overall # of Platinums...

If you own a hotel and Marriott says to "treat our best and most frequent guests well" and then you find out that the "best guests" are just a bunch of people who paid $650, why would you deliver elite benefits of any relevance? Especially since Marriott clearly isn't enforcing the rules any more?
This is likely why some properties have already been telling Platinums that they are restricting suite upgrades to Ambassador members, as seen in some reports on this forum. Platinum hasn't been "best guest" for a while now.
ElevatorEnthusiast is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:03 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 4,449
gonna probably be no more automatic lounge access if not upgraded to club level (a la Hilton gold), though those that qualify for the card and use it in the USA wont probably feel the difference with the lack of lounges or offerings anyways if Bonvoy goes down this route, itll hurt the card ineligible members overseas the most.

maybe also cut down on the 4pm late checkout to 2pm and maybe enhanced upgraded up to club level only, and not standard.

only way to differentiate between platinum (now available through cc) and titanium and ambassador.
myperks is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:31 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: None - previously UA
Posts: 4,207
Originally Posted by GVA View Post
$650 is still an expensive annual fee. The Hilton Aspire at $450 offers a lot more value and hasn't seen negative changes to diamond. That makes me believe the number of people who actually sign up to these very premium cards remains quite low or many people have status regardless.
Yeah though say you have a European or Hawaiian vacation or honeymoon planned. For many it may be worth getting the card for a year for the breakfast and other benefits just for that trip. The devaluation will be mostly due to the increased number of Platinum guests.
escapefromphl is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:47 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 927
Honestly I earned Hilton diamond for years before I got it via credit card and Im not noticing a big difference in treatment. Not sure Marriot will be any different. While I did get decent treatment overseas the Us was laughable. From what I read its similar here. Its been a minute since Ive stayed with Marriot but the new card has me willing to give them a go as a Hyatt backup.
eponymous_coward and Guate87 like this.
sfgiants13 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:52 pm
  #15  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver, Colorado
Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Posts: 1,648
Every time something is given away with CC's, devaluation follows, When Caesars partnered with Wyndham and one could match to their at the time highest level, Diamond, it did not take long for Caesars to add 2 extra Diamond tiers: Diamond Plus and Diamond Elite. Only Diamond Plus and Diamond Plus have automatic access to their Laurel Lounges.

I guess Bonvoy should have never renamed their 3 flavors of Platinum. I guess Platinum, Platinum Elite, and Platinum Ambassador is coming back! There is no way they can keep the current Platinum benefits while giving it away with CC's, based on what we've already seen from Hilton and other hotel chains that have done this.
seat38a is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread