Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hit 100 nights but short $XXX to Ambassador. (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hit 100 nights but short $XXX to Ambassador. (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:59 am

My question is what do you think you will get from the higher status? Better upgrades and benefits?

Once you think about that, how much would you spend getting those yourself? If you are planning on spending 30 nights at a Ritz next year and think you will get upgraded to a room that costs $500 more, sure it could be worth it, assuming you are right. But if its to save even $1,000 in upgrades next year, its not worth it.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Travelpro85
Tried to keep title as short as possible. Started my 100 night journey quite late in the year. Need suggestions on how to achieve my remaining $4k Qualified spend in a roughly 2.5 month period (I hit 100 mid October).
Trying to keep answer as short as possible:
Spend $4,000 in roughly 2.5 months.

(And then in 5 months time, realize that you've wasted $4,000 for almost no incremental benefit over Titanium)

You're welcome!
hedoman, SPN Lifer and DiverDave like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Travelpro85
already achieved Hyatt Globalist for 2023 as well, Idk if I should focus on Hilton or just get at Aspire card for automatic Diamond status or maybe IHG? We obviously travel A LOT. Mostly Europe so Hilton may be a great benefit.
- Just get an Aspire card and enjoy HH Diamond status in Europe and Asia. With Titanium, Diamond, and Globalist status, you can simply shop between the three chains for better hotels and/or benefits from promos. This is what I do.
You can also bank points for a lifetime status but nobody knows what would happen with any of these programs in 1-2 years. Thus, enjoy while it lasts!
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Plenty of threads on this topic.

My opinion...don't chase or bother wasting any money for Ambassador status. It's worthless and has no benefit over Titanium. It's absolutely not worth $4K in spend.

This coming from someone who has already spent 200+ nights at Marriott and requal'd for Ambassador.

-RM
This, this, this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
why not spend a 4 or 5 days to a week in Hawaii at the Mauna Kea or St Regis in Bora Bora?
HNL1K and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Ambassador/LT Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- Just get an Aspire card and enjoy HH Diamond status in Europe and Asia. With Titanium, Diamond, and Globalist status, you can simply shop between the three chains for better hotels and/or benefits from promos. This is what I do.
You can also bank points for a lifetime status but nobody knows what would happen with any of these programs in 1-2 years. Thus, enjoy while it lasts!
Agreed on both points. I have the Aspire card, expect to drop to Titanium next year, and just picked up Globalist through the corporate challenge, and I plan to do a lot more shopping around next year. As for the riskiness of chasing lifetime status, you never know when they'll decide to kill a lifetime status tier, and by the time you find out it's usually too late to try to catch up. I had this happen with the merger, I would have hit the threshold for LT Titanium shortly after the conversion date, which of course was too late and I ended up topping out at LT Platinum.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Why do you want Ambassador status? What is it about it that you can't just obtain directly with the $4,000?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by must_wander
As for the riskiness of chasing lifetime status, you never know when they'll decide to kill a lifetime status tier, and by the time you find out it's usually too late to try to catch up. I had this happen with the merger, I would have hit the threshold for LT Titanium shortly after the conversion date, which of course was too late and I ended up topping out at LT Platinum.
- I was lucky to have enough SPG nights to make the LT Titanium...
Unfortunately, the main trend is to devalue LT status benefits. I was happy to reach LT PLT with AA sometime ago but now there is PLT Pro above that. Staying 1,000 nights with Hilton will make you LT Diamond but now you can get Diamond with just Aspire Card. I am only started staying with Hyatt 2 years ago and LT Globalist is very far away. By the time I reach that there is a chance the program will change a couple times...
must_wander likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I'm going to be a little different that others here. The question is what would Ambassador get you based on your specific travel habits and is it worth 4k. For me, Ambassador was great in that I could send an e-mail and have things solved without me spending a lot of time on the phone. That was the main benefit. It was worth spending an extra 2k to achieve. This year, I'll be about 6k short. That perk is not worth 6k to me.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by must_wander (Post # 21)
As for the riskiness of chasing lifetime status, you never know when they'll decide to kill a lifetime status tier, and by the time you find out it's usually too late to try to catch up. I had this happen with the merger, I would have hit the threshold for LT Titanium shortly after the conversion date, which of course was too late and I ended up topping out at LT Platinum.
In the abrupt cessation of lifetime Titanium Elite qualification eligibility, you are not the only one who was brutally, unforgettably, and unforgiveably Bonvyed!

Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?

Turning to the thread topic, there is no shortcut to Ambassador Elite status other than to spend the requisite money.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seawolf
Why do you want Ambassador status? What is it about it that you can't just obtain directly with the $4,000?
+1000

I wouldn't spend an extra $100 for Ambassador.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by clarkef
I'm going to be a little different that others here. The question is what would Ambassador get you based on your specific travel habits and is it worth 4k. For me, Ambassador was great in that I could send an e-mail and have things solved without me spending a lot of time on the phone. That was the main benefit. It was worth spending an extra 2k to achieve. This year, I'll be about 6k short. That perk is not worth 6k to me.
You must really hate phoning people. FYI the social media teams for Marriott Bonvoy are fairly responsive, so you could save a couple of k and DM them on Twitter.

I havent found the Ambassador team any more useful than conventional CS over email. In fact, one time, they tried to deny me compensation promised by another agent over the phone. And they will not go to bat for you if a hotel treats you badly. You will be given around 20k points for your inconvenience, which is a poor replacement for enforcing programme benefits and supporting their most valuable customers.

I have qualified for Titanium this year and I wont be spending the extra money or 16 nights I need to make Ambassador again, as there are no concrete or tangible benefits over Titanium.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
You must really hate phoning people. FYI the social media teams for Marriott Bonvoy are fairly responsive, so you could save a couple of k and DM them on Twitter.

I havent found the Ambassador team any more useful than conventional CS over email. In fact, one time, they tried to deny me compensation promised by another agent over the phone. And they will not go to bat for you if a hotel treats you badly. You will be given around 20k points for your inconvenience, which is a poor replacement for enforcing programme benefits and supporting their most valuable customers.

I have qualified for Titanium this year and I wont be spending the extra money or 16 nights I need to make Ambassador again, as there are no concrete or tangible benefits over Titanium.
My $0.02
  • I hate inefficiency. Spending a half hour on the phone is an abject waste of my time, when a short 2 minute e-mail works very well for me.
  • Of course, what the agent promised you over the phone isn't memorialized in a paper trial. You would have been better served with an e-mail trial
  • The one large issue I had with a Westin netted me 100,000 points
  • Again, the concrete tangible benefits are based on each person's individual needs and desire. The ability to e-mail problems may not be of value to you, but that does not change the fact that it is of value to me. That's my point. Grand sweeping statements are pointless. Each person needs to evaluate their wants and needs and decide what is in their best interest. Ambassador was worth a couple grand to me, but not 6K.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I would actually kill the 100 night requirement and just focus on the 20K spend. Those who spend 20k in less than 100 nights should be Marriott's Focus.

Accor does this and you could earn they higher status by spend only.
This.
It give incentives for people to book higher category room/suite for their stays.
(I did earn ALL status from spending only)

Back to OP $4k question, honestly I don't see the value of it.
If it very close, like $500 or lesser then it might worth the extra spending.

I did received amazing upgrades from time to time like presidential suite upgrade at Ritz Carlton Pacific Place Jakarta, and Strand Villa at St Regis Bali, but then I would say it because I frequently stays there in the first place.

Perhaps OP can try being Titanium for next year and see if OP can feel any difference compare to from being an Ambassador.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
why not spend a 4 or 5 days to a week in Hawaii at the Mauna Kea or St Regis in Bora Bora?
LOL -- I just did this at the St. Regis in PR -- spent like a Kardashian for our anniversary and I've nearly spent $20k at Marriott this year -- with less than 40 nights. I am lifetime Titanium and don't see much value at all in Ambassador status. With over 2,500 nights at Marriott's / SPG hotels in my lifetime (Yes I'm getting old) chasing status is no longer that important to me -- mostly because I've witnessed the massive degradation of lifetime status across the board -- (Like at airlines) -- and I don't believe this trend will reverse....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.