Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Points & credit for same-night, overlapping and nested stays at different hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Note that there was a change effective Aug 30/23 as confirmed by our knowledgeable contributor iknowthings. Per posts #90, 93 and 111:

The T&C is changing, effective August 29, that all 3 rooms will have to have the same check-in and checkout dates to receive points.
You won't have to book all three rooms at the same time, their dates will just all have to match. They've always already had separate confirmation numbers. Furthermore, this doesn't mean you can't have rooms with different lengths of stay, it means you'll have to break up the reservations a little. For example, if you want one room for three nights and one room for four, you'd make two three night reservations and one 1 night reservation.

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Points & credit for same-night, overlapping and nested stays at different hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold | Marriott Titanium
Going through this topic I concluded it’s not a good idea to have simultaneous stays… however, I’m in Indonesia right now and was wondering if I can just book 5 nights more (cheap anyway) and leave anyway?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The longer you remain checked in to an empty room, the greater the chance housekeeping will notice, and cause you to be checked out.
Steve M likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by thehyrax
Going through this topic I concluded it’s not a good idea to have simultaneous stays… however, I’m in Indonesia right now and was wondering if I can just book 5 nights more (cheap anyway) and leave anyway?
Personally, I would just tell the FD Mgr what you are doing. You are physically there to check in, so you aren’t breaking any rules. Tell him/her that you would like to keep the room for X days and what date you would like to check out. Prepay your bill.
SPN Lifer and thehyrax like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I need to book two rooms, one for my parent and one for myself.

Can I use my points to book both of these rooms, or is that against the rules? Would one cash and one points be better? I understand I'll only get night credit for one of the rooms anyway, thats not a problem.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:02 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I need to book two rooms, one for my parent and one for myself.

Can I use my points to book both of these rooms, or is that against the rules? Would one cash and one points be better? I understand I'll only get night credit for one of the rooms anyway, thats not a problem.
I have booked 2 to 3 rooms for myself and extended family on points many times. I have never had an issue with it.

Official process is to call MR Bonvoy CS and have them book the second award room for your parent in their name. This is perfectly legitimate and complies with program rules.

Another option I used the last time I did this (3 years ago), I booked two rooms under one reservation in my name. When we arrived onsite, I changed the name on one room over to my sister-in-law. One caveat, if your parent is going to arrive at the property before you do, it would be a good idea to call the front desk ahead of time and let them know so your parent will be able to check in with out you. Caveat, I recently saw at a RI I was staying at (had a sign at the front desk), that they couldn't change the name on award reservations and you had to call Marriott Bonvoy CS to have them do it. Not sure if this is one rogue property or a new systemwide rule change. I only had one room for myself that stay, so I didn't inquire further. iknowthings has there been a recent rule change to this effect (or stricter enforcement of an existing rule)?

Finally, my experience is with hotels located in the USA. YMMV for Europe and Asia where the rules in general tend to be different.

--Jon
Smiley90 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:46 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I forgot, I also booked two rooms on points last summer for a stay in the UK. It was two separate reservations, both in my name. One room for us and one for our daughter. I had submitted a SNA request for a junior suite for one of the rooms. I emailed the hotel informing them it was more important for the rooms to be close to each other than getting the upgrade. Hotel responded very promptly, was happy to assign rooms close to each other and even proactively upgraded one of the rooms to a junior suite allowing me to save my SNA's for another trip. When we arrived, the rooms were literally right across from each other in the hallway. TL;DR it worked fine in Europe too (at least for the Courtyard Exeter). YMMV...

--Jon
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I have booked 2 to 3 rooms for myself and extended family on points many times. I have never had an issue with it.

Official process is to call MR Bonvoy CS and have them book the second award room for your parent in their name. This is perfectly legitimate and complies with program rules.

Another option I used the last time I did this (3 years ago), I booked two rooms under one reservation in my name. When we arrived onsite, I changed the name on one room over to my sister-in-law. One caveat, if your parent is going to arrive at the property before you do, it would be a good idea to call the front desk ahead of time and let them know so your parent will be able to check in with out you. Caveat, I recently saw at a RI I was staying at (had a sign at the front desk), that they couldn't change the name on award reservations and you had to call Marriott Bonvoy CS to have them do it. Not sure if this is one rogue property or a new systemwide rule change. I only had one room for myself that stay, so I didn't inquire further. iknowthings has there been a recent rule change to this effect (or stricter enforcement of an existing rule)?

Finally, my experience is with hotels located in the USA. YMMV for Europe and Asia where the rules in general tend to be different.

--Jon
I forgot, I also booked two rooms on points last summer for a stay in the UK. It was two separate reservations, both in my name. One room for us and one for our daughter. I had submitted a SNA request for a junior suite for one of the rooms. I emailed the hotel informing them it was more important for the rooms to be close to each other than getting the upgrade. Hotel responded very promptly, was happy to assign rooms close to each other and even proactively upgraded one of the rooms to a junior suite allowing me to save my SNA's for another trip. When we arrived, the rooms were literally right across from each other in the hallway. TL;DR it worked fine in Europe too (at least for the Courtyard Exeter). YMMV...

--Jon
Great, thanks. We'll be together so no issue with them arriving before me or anything.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:18 pm

iknowthings has there been a recent rule change to this effect (or stricter enforcement of an existing rule)?
--Jon
This rule has always been in place. Any deviation from it causes problems with hotel reimbursement for award stays. Award stays must stay fully associated the member's Bonvoy account, including name.

Names can be ADDED to award stays, but should only be added by customer service. This rule is the one that's bent fairly often and contributes to fraud cases, but that's a topic for another thread.
Jon Maiman likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by iknowthings
This rule has always been in place. Any deviation from it causes problems with hotel reimbursement for award stays. Award stays must stay fully associated the member's Bonvoy account, including name.

Names can be ADDED to award stays, but should only be added by customer service. This rule is the one that's bent fairly often and contributes to fraud cases, but that's a topic for another thread.
Thanks for the quick response and clarifying the details of the policy. I should have been more precise in my original post. Upon arrival at the property for the award stay with two rooms in my name, I had them add my sister-in-law's name to the second room. At least I believe the property added it rather than changing the name. I still got one folio for both rooms at checkout. I added her name so she would be able to get a replacement key without me if needed during the stay.

IIRC many years ago (10+), you could directly add names to an award reservation on the MR website. That was a nice feature.

--Jon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.