Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Pricing Insanity

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Diamond
Dynamic Pricing Insanity

Hey folks, long time lurker first time poster.
Just wanted to get thoughts on state of affairs for dynamic pricing - it's becoming insane!!!

Case in point I was looking for a Labor Day weekend getaway in upstate NY. The Wick Hotel (an ok-ish conversion from an old paper mill that tries a bit too hard to be fancy and really isn't super, but a decent enough stay, at max a 3.5* hotel... no good bars / amenities / restaurants to speak of and not even on the main drag) wants to have $1,028 per night stay this weekend (or 60,000 points per night). That is MORE than staying at a W / Pantheon Iconic / Regency) bang in the middle of Rome !!! I really cannot believe anyone is crazy or stupid enough to pay these prices, especially given the alternate value - if there is such a thing left.

Has anyone seen any other examples of the ridiculous pricing variances since Marriott got rid of the the award charts?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
It's a major US holiday weekend. AAA is claiming 90% of travelers this weekend will take to the road, not the skies. So that means your "out of the city" locales will be busting at the seams. Upstate NY will be one of them given the generally nice weather in early September. Not sure why you are so surprised. Dynamic pricing is here to stay and the rate is reflective of supply & demand.

-RM
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Messikens
Just wanted to get thoughts on state of affairs for dynamic pricing - it's becoming insane!!!

Case in point I was looking for a Labor Day weekend getaway in upstate NY. The Wick Hotel (an ok-ish conversion from an old paper mill that tries a bit too hard to be fancy and really isn't super, but a decent enough stay, at max a 3.5* hotel... no good bars / amenities / restaurants to speak of and not even on the main drag) wants to have $1,028 per night stay this weekend (or 60,000 points per night). That is MORE than staying at a W / Pantheon Iconic / Regency) bang in the middle of Rome !!! I really cannot believe anyone is crazy or stupid enough to pay these prices, especially given the alternate value - if there is such a thing left.

Has anyone seen any other examples of the ridiculous pricing variances since Marriott got rid of the the award charts?
i think you are mistaken about Rome, at least for the W and the iconic as I'm in the process of planning a trip to Italy. There are no redemption rooms under 75k for the W or the Iconic Rome. having said that, award pricing is definitely inflated, just like the revenue room rates...
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:42 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
When we talk about "dynamic pricing" here, we're usually referring to award prices. Cash prices have been dynamic for as long as properties have used inventory management systems. In this case, the 60,000 points/night rate is quite reasonable compared to the cash rate and certainly isn't "dynamic" the way it could be (and perhaps will be next year when award pricing moves more in step with revenue rates!)
ryw, SPN Lifer, eyeball1 and 9 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium

I've stayed at the Wick Hotel in Hudson and I was not impressed by the hotel. I only stayed there because it was convenient from NYC to Hunter Mtn. for a quick stay before skiing all day.

I wouldn't say it's worth $1k or 60k points but these Hotels can charge whatever they want if there's demand for it.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
And, I'm staying at a Luxury Collection resort over Labor Day weekend for $375 all-in per night - I'll be hot in Scottsdale, but it goes to show how location is a strong factor in pricing.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I'm confused. How is 60k points for a room that is costing over $1k "dynamic pricing insanity"?
dw, Happy, JoeWoodstock and 9 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta Ham Sandwich, IHG Spire, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I'm confused. How is 60k points for a room that is costing over $1k "dynamic pricing insanity"?
It's not. But you already knew that. LOL.
Cledaybuck and Mr. Vker like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Diamond
It's ridiculous in two ways. 60k points for a hotel that is barely any (if at all) better than a Courtyard or a Residence Inn... and the daily $ rate is basically on part with an off-day of the St. Regis in NYC!?!
FMDXR likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
It's ridiculous in two ways. 60k points for a hotel that is barely any (if at all) better than a Courtyard or a Residence Inn... and the daily $ rate is basically on part with an off-day of the St. Regis in NYC!?!
It seems like the cash price is insane then, not the points rate (which actually looks like a good value relative to the cash price).
wrldwide1, cre95, duluthDL and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by jsrdelta
It's not. But you already knew that. LOL.
I mean, isn't it really the exact opposite? Seems like that redemption might be capped at 60k and not really all that dynamic.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:42 am

If you want some insanity, it looks like you can book for 60k points or $1800 on Saturday night or $362 with no points redemptions available on Sunday night.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
There has also been a heavy outflow of people + money into the Hudson Valley since the start of Covid (and has been been building up steadily for years before that too)...nothing surprising here.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:13 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Isn't "dynamic pricing" when referring to cash prices just basic, centuries old supply and demand? Never heard of it referred that way before
wrldwide1 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I mean, isn't it really the exact opposite? Seems like that redemption might be capped at 60k and not really all that dynamic.
Yes, exactly. It's the cash rate that's insanely high. The redemption rate is clearly capped and thus an example of NOT dynamic pricing.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.