Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Pricing Insanity

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:30 pm
Suspended

After previewing this cancer that's now overtaking the most mundane locations, last winter in Florida, I no longer vacation in the US, period.

Take a long drive or a short flight to Montreal or Quebec, where you won't find third rate filthy hotels, with terrible, surly service at extortionate prices as the new norm.

Beautiful old world, clean, safe, cities with wonderful cuisine, culture, centuries old architecture on cobblestone streets and so many friendly people far enough away from this rapidly decaying country that, for a painfully short time, you'll feel like you've reentered civilized society again. And a bargain to boot.
qlaval and happychic like this.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 31, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Award pricing can be kinda funny.

I need to stay in Dubai at the JW Marriott mid September for a decent $160 per night; if I would use points for two nights they'd like to see 120000 for the stay!

Seems to be a total disconnect between cash price which is low (makes sense as its a low season in DXB) and rewards points requirements (which is closer to peak time).

No way I would spend so many points.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by Duck1981

I need to stay in Dubai at the JW Marriott mid September for a decent $160 per night; if I would use points for two nights they'd like to see 120000 for the stay!

Seems to be a total disconnect between cash price which is low (makes sense as its a low season in DXB) and rewards points requirements (which is closer to peak time).

So this is good, you can choose what suits you best.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA
Dublin prices in September

Originally Posted by dw
When we talk about "dynamic pricing" here, we're usually referring to award prices. Cash prices have been dynamic for as long as properties have used inventory management systems. In this case, the 60,000 points/night rate is quite reasonable compared to the cash rate and certainly isn't "dynamic" the way it could be (and perhaps will be next year when award pricing moves more in step with revenue rates!)
We experienced this at The Shelbourne. I burned up the bulk of our points on Two nights at Mount Juliet, 40k per night, and was trying to hold one to one night at The Shelbourne. When I reserved the room it was 50k. As it was just a hold, the rate was not locked in. Over two months the rate went to 70k before I had enough points. I booked the night before with cash and locked that in at $599. The cash price rose to 900 in the same time frame. In the end, I canceled both nights and moved to Powerscourt. We have stayed there twice on the 5 night plan and loved it. Upgrades both times. The wife is lifetime platinum elite.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Duck1981

Agree - we all have an internal threshold for what our hard earned points are worth -- this coming weekend is our anniversary -- so I splurged and spent 296k points to save $4,000 at the St. Regis in PR -- and I would do it again in second -- as every day our points balance devalues....
dayone likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
What could be more sane than sellers accepting the most that buyers will pay and buyers paying the least that sellers will accept?
clarkef likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ghoulish

Take a long drive or a short flight to Montreal or Quebec, where you won't find third rate filthy hotels, with terrible, surly service at extortionate prices as the new norm.

Beautiful old world, clean, safe, cities with wonderful cuisine, culture, centuries old architecture on cobblestone streets and so many friendly people far enough away from this rapidly decaying country that, for a painfully short time, you'll feel like you've reentered civilized society again. And a bargain to boot.
Sadly, Montreal and Quebec have a reputation for terrible service. You're lucky if that hasn't been your experience.

And based on my recent trip to Montreal, it shares the same problems as the US - extorionate prices and understaffed...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:10 am

What a silly thread. Hotels are charging what they think people will pay and either 1) people pay it, 2) people won't pay it and the hotels charge less, or 3) people won't pay it, the properties are stubborn, and they go out of business.
clarkef likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
If you want to really get offended, look at the cost of a Motel 6 during the Super Bowl.

Also, I had a friend who was forced into a COVID quarantine hotel after testing positive coming off of a cruise. She had to pay $300- plus per night for an extended stay, Motel 6 equivalent property.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Upstate / Hudson Valley is a popular getaway spot for three day weekends, especially in the Covid era. Leisure hotel pricing has been through the roof for the past couple of years, and I frankly don't see them coming down. Many towns are seeing what little housing inventory that is available snatched up for AirBnb.

The real solution is for these Hudson Valley / Upstate towns and cities to approve massive building programs of all housing/accommodation. Homebuilders should be building new single family housing, apartment builders should be building new apartments for rent and condors for sale, hotel developers should get permits to build new hotels, and yes, investors should be allowed to build new, fit for purpose vacation rentals.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
The real solution is for these Hudson Valley / Upstate towns and cities to approve massive building programs of all housing/accommodation. Homebuilders should be building new single family housing, apartment builders should be building new apartments for rent and condors for sale, hotel developers should get permits to build new hotels, and yes, investors should be allowed to build new, fit for purpose vacation rentals.
Yeah! That way NYC people can go from crowding and pollution to crowding and pollution, all while emitting a ton of carbon to do so!
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: Skyteam
Coming over from Hyatt, I enjoy the vast number of different properties, but Marriott clearly over charges for their hotel rewards
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by arlflyer
What a silly thread. Hotels are charging what they think people will pay and either 1) people pay it, 2) people won't pay it and the hotels charge less, or 3) people won't pay it, the properties are stubborn, and they go out of business.
It was a genuine question - if it's a silly thread to you, don't comment / read it
clarkef likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Messikens
It was a genuine question - if it's a silly thread to you, don't comment / read it
It is typically impossible to know whether it's a silly thread before you read. And upon reading, they found that the first comment makes absolutely no sense, which is true. You're complaining about cash prices rising. If it's a silly price to you, don't comment / stay there.
Harv62 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Dynamic pricing is what the program is about now and even more so moving forward. If you’re looking for value booking rooms on public holidays or over northern hemisphere summer, you’re not going to make out well. Think 100k per night for average hotels in year or two. Use your points now if you have them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.