Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Welcome Gift Choice is not an option anymore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT; UA 1k

Hello,

Staying at a Marriott in the US and they insist that welcome gift is points by default and that there is not an option for me to choose a $10 F&B credit. They do have F&B open. They are stating that the Marriott website (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi) is incorrect and void but has not been updated to reflect that correctly since the start of Covid.

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by m0mo; Jul 27, 2022 at 11:59 am Reason: clarified US
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by m0mo
Hello,

Staying at a Marriott in the US and they insist that welcome gift is points by default and that there is not an option for me to choose a $10 F&B credit. They do have F&B open. They are stating that the Marriott website (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi) is incorrect and void but has not been updated to reflect that correctly since the start of Covid.

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
Not correct, you should name the property so others can avoid.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:46 pm
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
How to indicate preference of welcome gift choice?

Is there a way to indicate preference of a welcome gift choice? I checked in the profile of my account, but was not able to locate it.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yrs
Is there a way to indicate preference of a welcome gift choice? I checked in the profile of my account, but was not able to locate it.
I don't believe there is a way to indicate
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Hello,

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
Which brand? Marriott Hotels? Or a different Marriott Bonvoy brand?

The welcome gift options for Platinum Elite (and above) have not changed. They're defined in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions. For properties branded as Marriott Hotels: "United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 food and beverage ("F&B") credit per Stay," with $100 compensation for the failure to allow Platinum Elite (and above) guests to choose one of these. Look for the "ELITE WELCOME GIFT FOR PLATINUM ELITE MEMBERS AND ABOVE" table.

However, for several brands, including Marriott Vacation Club properties, points are the only welcome gift. And for still others, it's points or an "amenity" of undefined value... or points or daily breakfast for member + 1... or points or a daily F&B credit for member + 1.
lgormley and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by yrs
For brands for which you have a choice between points and something else (F&B credit/snack item from hotel convenience store), Marriott generally defaults you to points but permits you to change that at front desk. This is a different approach than, for example, Hilton's My Way Benefits, where you can make your default election on the website or in the app.
rt23456p and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
Which brand? Marriott Hotels? Or a different Marriott Bonvoy brand?

The welcome gift options for Platinum Elite (and above) have not changed. They're defined in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions. For properties branded as Marriott Hotels: "United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 food and beverage ("F&B") credit per Stay," with $100 compensation for the failure to allow Platinum Elite (and above) guests to choose one of these. Look for the "ELITE WELCOME GIFT FOR PLATINUM ELITE MEMBERS AND ABOVE" table.

However, for several brands, including Marriott Vacation Club properties, points are the only welcome gift. And for still others, it's points or an "amenity" of undefined value... or points or daily breakfast for member + 1... or points or a daily F&B credit for member + 1.
Marriott Marquis
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Marriott Marquis
I think it's some kind of Covid crap. If you look at the hotel page on the top right hand corner regarding hotel policy regarding Covid (where they say what to expect).

I have seen hotels stating that they only issue welcome points as the only gift choice, and I had to read through those to make sure that I know what to expect before I book which is a real PITA.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
All the Marriott properties I stayed in had default points for amenity. I had to tell each one that I prefer breakfast or F&B credit. This gets annoying if I always ask select breakfast.
This is one area that Marriott should change and allow us to indicate preference in our profile.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Marriott Marquis
Marriott Marquis=Marriott. Ask front desk for food and beverage credit. If they refuse, tell front desk you are invoking the $100 penalty for failure to provide the guaranteed benefit. If they refuse call Marriott.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CIT85
All the Marriott properties I stayed in had default points for amenity. I had to tell each one that I prefer breakfast or F&B credit. This gets annoying if I always ask select breakfast.
This is one area that Marriott should change and allow us to indicate preference in our profile.
I did get asked by FDC what I would like as welcome gift once in a while.

If you want points it's easier for the FDC, as they don't have to write out breakfast coupons or fix the bill.

It's even better if Marriott send the welcome gift choice in the email or even built into the app so we can pick it before our arrival (better with pictures if it's a gift).
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:50 pm

Sheraton Grand in Seattle tried this with me in 2021. At check in they insisted that points were the only option because the restaurant was closed (though, I believe they had room service). I pushed back and asked for the $100 guarantee and they tried to use COVID as an excuse and when I showed them the guarantee they miraculously remembered that a $10 F&B credit was an option which also worked in the Starbucks downstairs. I ended up with two $10 vouchers per day as a result. You can get a decent breakfast at SBX for $10 a day. Was enough to get a snack for lunch too!
imverge likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Sheraton Grand in Seattle tried this with me in 2021. At check in they insisted that points were the only option because the restaurant was closed (though, I believe they had room service). I pushed back and asked for the $100 guarantee and they tried to use COVID as an excuse and when I showed them the guarantee they miraculously remembered that a $10 F&B credit was an option which also worked in the Starbucks downstairs. I ended up with two $10 vouchers per day as a result. You can get a decent breakfast at SBX for $10 a day. Was enough to get a snack for lunch too!
A lot of Marriott properties (especially in the US) used the COVID excuse to deny breakfast benefits to Plat+ elites with Marriott corporate's blessing with the official suspension of elite benefits. I don't remember if/when Marriott reinstated elite benefits.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:20 pm

Hello,

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
If you checked in on the app, points is indeed the default choice. The welcome gift has been offered and there is no need for the front desk
to volunteer it again, even if the guest is required to stop by to collect the roomkey or show ID.

If guests who checked-in on the app want something other than points, it is on the them to pass by the front desk and ask to change the choice of welcome gift.
fdog and yscleo like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have it the other way for Marriott brand stays. I always choose points when checking in on the app, but for some weird reasons, during every Marriott stay, I would never get the 1K points, and would have to manually request. Never the case with any other brands - e.g. Westin, Courtyards
Radiation Station and yscleo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.