Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Too many Platinum guests in Thailand ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many Platinum guests in Thailand ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jaejaez
There's nothing quite like being told that I can only stay in the lounge for 1.5 hours because there're too many platinums in the hotel and the elites must learn to take turns now.
Those who have been to hotels in Seoul will know what I am talking about.

I can only hope this practice doesn't spread to other countries.
One time per stay pool usage and booking a timeslot is also absurd (in many Seoul hotels). Koreans go to Thai properties and feel a sense of freedom from these Plat restrictions.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 31, 2022 at 7:02 am
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:24 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Worse, the premium elites who produced that additional revenue become disenfranchised by the crowding of lounges and absence of suite upgrades because of the glut of new Platinums and they abandon Marriott and jump ship to a chain that hasn't overwhelmed the system and gives them the experience they used to get with their Bonvoy elite status.
I have stayed in a Radisson in Bangkok recently (oh the horror) and was surprised about the quiet lounge access. A bottom of the barrel hotel chain, but which kept elite status fairly hard to achieve and therefore elite benefits not worthless. In Thailand Marriott is not the way to go at the moment - maybe in 2023 it will be a different story.
UASPG and rt23456p like this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
I have stayed in a Radisson in Bangkok recently (oh the horror) and was surprised about the quiet lounge access. A bottom of the barrel hotel chain, but which kept elite status fairly hard to achieve and therefore elite benefits not worthless. In Thailand Marriott is not the way to go at the moment - maybe in 2023 it will be a different story.
I suppose circumstances have exacerbated the issue of too many elite status guests at the more popular chain properties. I held elite status at Radisson for a few years, and IMHE, it did not yield any form of tangible recognition, except (surprisingly) at the NYC Martinique (now a Hilton Curio). It would seem the benefits worth having have become that much more difficult to receive, and those that are marginal, that much more attainable.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
i'm local and i totally agreed that there are too many platinum elite members here in thailand.

i found a local fb page dedicated to something like 'the easiest and fastest way to achieve platinum member status with Marriott bonvoy' and it has about 23K members. possibly most of them are already platinum elite members or above.

my personal solution is just to AVOID Marriott hotels and move my stay to mostly hyatt hotels and other luxury hotels (like four seasons, mandarin oriental, aman, rosewood, etc.).

at hyatt hotels, it was crowded also but i felt it was much better experience overall. at luxury hotels, yes, you get what you pay for.
porciuscato likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.