Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Too many Platinum guests in Thailand ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many Platinum guests in Thailand ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:05 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by pbd456
i had 11 years of platinum with 120 nights
Without any credit cards? Hows that possible?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Lots of people are being dismissive in this thread, but there has been a fundamental change in what status means at Marriott over the last 12-24 months to me.
On upcoming 15 night trip to SE Asia, not one night will go to Marriott. By contrast, in 2019, I cleared Ambassador largely on Marriott stays in Thailand.
I think this is largely because you are in Phuket at the most off-peak time when the weather is poor and most guests are somewhere else.
Yep. Not the right time of year to go to the Andaman. We're going to Bali instead.
UASPG and Will08 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Country and/or regional group management would be my guess.
Exactly right. Consequently, the blame for too many Platinum local members goes to them. The blame for too many elite status members due to credit card perks is another matter.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by jaejaez
There's nothing quite like being told that I can only stay in the lounge for 1.5 hours because there're too many platinums in the hotel and the elites must learn to take turns now.
Those who have been to hotels in Seoul will know what I am talking about.

I can only hope this practice doesn't spread to other countries.
Too late, I am afraid. I made a trip to TPE right after CNY this year thinking that few hotels would be booked since business travel is down so much and prices seemed low. After quarantine I moved to the Sheraton Grande in TPE, very convenient for my business meetings. The hotel required reservations to use the lounge in the evening and closed the lounge at 4 pm to prepare for the evening! I wanted to book a meeting room and and could not as they needed the space to accommodate all the happy hour guests! Time was limited to 1 or 1.5 hours, I cannot remember.

Totally different from my trip in late 2021.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jaejaez
There's nothing quite like being told that I can only stay in the lounge for 1.5 hours because there're too many platinums in the hotel and the elites must learn to take turns now.
Those who have been to hotels in Seoul will know what I am talking about.

I can only hope this practice doesn't spread to other countries.
Which properties are doing that in Seoul?
karenkay likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 7:01 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by rt23456p
I spoke with one of the managers today at Renaissance Phuket, he told me that they are seeing daily 30 bonvoy guests, with 5-6 platinum+ daily, therefore upgrade to villa and suites is not a problem now, however as China opens, they will be flooded again.
I think this is largely because you are in Phuket at the most off-peak time when the weather is poor
I concur with lost_in_translation . The title of this thread says "Platinum guests in Thailand", but the discussion before me was mostly Bangkok so I answered with Bangkok in mind. Phuket and Koh Samui are not nearly as full of elites than Bangkok so my previous comments would be better described as Bangkok-specific not Thailand in general.
SPN Lifer and rt23456p like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Which properties are doing that in Seoul?
Westin Josun Seoul and the Plaza Seoul (Autograph Collection). I hear JW Seoul applies something similar also. I was politely asked to 'leave the lounge' while I was working on my laptop by a lounge staff as my '90 minutes of lounge time' had expired...

My suggestion when booking hotels in S. Korea (and Taipei too, it seems) with lounge access is to check whether they impose time limits... especially if you are someone who does like to relax in the lounge for hours.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Without any credit cards? Hows that possible?
UA 1k used to give free old Marriott gold - the current Marriott platinum
GUWonder and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I am not sure why credit cards and Chinese plats keep getting mentioned in this thread. They both might contribute to a global issue with too many Plats but that is not the root cause of this thread. This is also not an issue that is isolated to Bangkok, if we are going to attempt to isolate the issue then the issue could be isolated to price points I mentioned previously.

The offer for locals is 40% but it is limited to 3,000 thb per night. Locals can also get discounts on flights. This has resulted in a lot of staycations in BKK flooded with Thais but I have observed the same issues in the North in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, in Phuket and also in JW Khao Lak. The only place this year I didn't encounter any problems were at the W Koh Samui and in fact this worked in my favour in getting an extreme wow villa for a week!

I spend around 60/70 nights per year in hotels in Thailand and get looked after pretty well at some properties which means I always return to them. During this year some of these hotels have handled Rao Tiew Duay Kan pretty well showing that it is still possible to differentiate between loyal customers and those taking advantage of a short term offer.

Moving forwards there is talk of dual pricing with hotels remaining so this problem could be here to stay.
SPN Lifer and joakgarp like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I believe the overflow of these night based elites (up to Titaniums) was caused by cheap hotel rate and 2 years elite extension by Marriott.
Those Taobao platinums will contribute as well.

I also believe that Bonvoy will have higher than average Ambassador guests for this period due to elite extensions during 2021 and 2022

Coming 2023, the number of night based elites will be still higher than average as there are still plenty of cheap rates in 2022
While Ambassador will be back to normal or even lower as they need 100 nights and $20k spending again to reach the tier.
The lower rate on 2022 actually made it harder for people to requalify Ambassador to certain extent.
kevino likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:28 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by Will08
I am not sure why credit cards and Chinese plats keep getting mentioned in this thread. They both might contribute to a global issue with too many Plats but that is not the root cause of this thread. This is also not an issue that is isolated to Bangkok, if we are going to attempt to isolate the issue then the issue could be isolated to price points I mentioned previously.

The offer for locals is 40% but it is limited to 3,000 thb per night. Locals can also get discounts on flights. This has resulted in a lot of staycations in BKK flooded with Thais but I have observed the same issues in the North in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, in Phuket and also in JW Khao Lak. The only place this year I didn't encounter any problems were at the W Koh Samui and in fact this worked in my favour in getting an extreme wow villa for a week!

I spend around 60/70 nights per year in hotels in Thailand and get looked after pretty well at some properties which means I always return to them. During this year some of these hotels have handled Rao Tiew Duay Kan pretty well showing that it is still possible to differentiate between loyal customers and those taking advantage of a short term offer.

Moving forwards there is talk of dual pricing with hotels remaining so this problem could be here to stay.
I am staying in a great villa now in RenPhuket, got upgraded from the cheapest offering, the manager here said that currently, occupancy is only at 75% with 5-6 plat+ members, don't know why the Thai locals wanna flood Khao Lak so much?
Will08 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:53 am

I am staying in a great villa now in RenPhuket, got upgraded from the cheapest offering, the manager here said that currently, occupancy is only at 75% with 5-6 plat+ members, don't know why the Thai locals wanna flood Khao Lak so much?
This is one of my ‘go to’ hotels in Phuket. Great gym, great breakfast spread and decent upgrades when they can. As mentioned above though Phuket is now low season so despite there being a long weekend in Thailand.

75% occupancy at this time of year is high.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:36 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by Will08
This is one of my ‘go to’ hotels in Phuket. Great gym, great breakfast spread and decent upgrades when they can. As mentioned above though Phuket is now low season so despite there being a long weekend in Thailand.

75% occupancy at this time of year is high.
The manger also said pre pandemic, this time round, it will be full of Chinese. The hotel is very good at clearing upgrades for elites.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:05 pm

The manger also said pre pandemic, this time round, it will be full of Chinese. The hotel is very good at clearing upgrades for elites.
I’m not sure what point you are making, regardless of that statement being true or not there are no Chinese increasing the occupancy levels like pre covid times. Therefore another factor has increased occupancy. I’d be more inclined to believe that statement for somewhere like Le Meridien down in Patong but not so much at the Ren.

In terms of looking after elites, I agree the hotel is pretty decent hence I go there a lot but they don’t have that many villas to offer. I tend to go there for the reasons I mentioned earlier.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
...The logic fails of course in the long run because the easier you make it to become Platinum the lower quality the guest and the very characteristics that led to the historical data that justified the policy become diluted. Worse, the premium elites who produced that additional revenue become disenfranchised by the crowding of lounges and absence of suite upgrades because of the glut of new Platinums and they abandon Marriott and jump ship to a chain that hasn't overwhelmed the system and gives them the experience they used to get with their Bonvoy elite status. But by then, everyone in Bonvoy marketing who was in that original marketing meeting has moved on to fresh pastures and the new lot wonder why they're in the firing line for losing so many elites and reducing revenue.
Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.