Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Marquis Miami, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

Dear Fellow Travelers,

I am eager to get your take on the following:

I recently completed a stay at the JW Marriott Marquis in Miami, FL. Used the same corporate rate as dozens of times before at hotels all over the place. As per usual, payment was arranged directly through my employer.

Also as per usual, the nights for the stay posted on the next day. What didn't post were the points for the room rate (incidentals only).

Probably a mistake. I reached out to the Guest Relations Manager, who to my astonishment tells me that my rate wasn't points eligible due to it being paid by a third party.

Now, I know this is not true, and that what she is saying is nonsense. I even referred her to the relevant section in the Marriott Bonvoy rules. She replied that she would escalate to Marriott Bonvoy Customer Support.

I am kind of dumbfounded. This has never been an issue at dozens of previous stays (as it shouldn't be).

Have any of y'all experienced something similar, and if so, how did you handle it?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:00 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dvielhab

Probably a mistake. I reached out to the Guest Relations Manager, who to my astonishment tells me that my rate wasn't points eligible due to it being paid by a third party.

Now, I know this is not true, and that what she is saying is nonsense. I even referred her to the relevant section in the Marriott Bonvoy rules. She replied that she would escalate to Marriott Bonvoy Customer Support.

I am kind of dumbfounded. This has never been an issue at dozens of previous stays (as it shouldn't be).

Have any of y'all experienced something similar, and if so, how did you handle it?
Depends how it’s booked, the applicable rules:
2.1.d. Qualifying Stay. A “Stay" or “Qualifying Stay” means all consecutive nights a Member registers for, and personally pays and stays at any Participating Property, for which (i) the room is billed to the Member, or (ii) the guest room is direct billed to the company who has arranged payment for the Member’s stay that is not associated with a convention or group meeting.

and
2.1.f. Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:

i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com; or

Last edited by markis10; Jul 3, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
I am aware of these rules. It was booked through Amex Global Business Travel with a corporate rate. Just like dozens of times before. There is no question that it is points eligible.

QUOTE=markis10;34393161]Depends how it’s booked, the applicable rules:
2.1.d. Qualifying Stay. A “Stay" or “Qualifying Stay” means all consecutive nights a Member registers for, and personally pays and stays at any Participating Property, for which (i) the room is billed to the Member, or (ii) the guest room is direct billed to the company who has arranged payment for the Member’s stay that is not associated with a convention or group meeting.

and
2.1.f. Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:

i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com; or[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:53 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dvielhab
I am aware of these rules. It was booked through Amex Global Business Travel with a corporate rate. Just like dozens of times before. There is no question that it is points eligible.

QUOTE=markis10;34393161]Depends how it’s booked, the applicable rules:

and

i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com; or
You don’t know which GDS was used by Amex Global,Travel, there is every chance they used Expedia which would result in non qualifying, and also 2.1d is applicable as the company you work for is not direct billed by the hotel.As you are not privy to the financials you are not in a position to be definitive.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:45 am

You didn't pay, you didn't get the points. Whatever your employer negotiated with the property / chain cut you out of the deal, to their benefit.

Also this is definitely not the master thread for this property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.