Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Book using points for someone else (General Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, if I want to book a room using points / cash + points for my wife without me travelling as well, is that possible? Can I book that through the website or do I need to call them or something?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You need to call to book for someone else. Can't be done on the website.
jah718 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You can also just transfer the points to the actual guest, so they book it themselves under their own account.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You can also just transfer the points to the actual guest, so they book it themselves under their own account.
I believe you also need to call in order to transfer points to another member. And there is a limit of 100k per year limit. Given today’s value of points that wouldn’t even work for a couple of nights at some hotels.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cre95
I believe you also need to call in order to transfer points to another member. And there is a limit of 100k per year limit. Given today’s value of points that wouldn’t even work for a couple of nights at some hotels.
correct
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Presumably if I book a stay for my girlfriend under my account, using my points, she will not receive my elite benefits? I am Ambassador and she is Gold.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Presumably if I book a stay for my girlfriend under my account, using my points, she will not receive my elite benefits? I am Ambassador and she is Gold.
Where are you looking to book? If it's in the US, book under your name & account and put her name on the reservation as a second guest so she can check in if you will be arriving after her. If you won't be arriving after her, are you sure you won't be "arriving after her"?
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Where are you looking to book? If it's in the US, book under your name & account and put her name on the reservation as a second guest so she can check in if you will be arriving after her. If you won't be arriving after her, are you sure you won't be "arriving after her"?
I was looking at booking a hotel in Doha, so I’m not sure that will work!
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Ah, got it. Yes, I have less experience doing this internationally; hopefully others can weigh in. I'd suspect that it would still work, but unless others can confirm, I'd personally be wary of booking something that she potentially couldn't check into.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Almost all international properties require passports at check in. I would not risk a situation your GF would be denied the reservation for trying to gain the elite benefit. Not worth it.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Or you could, ya know, NOT violate the Terms & Conditions. Probably a low risk of being caught, but do you really want to chance it? I certainly wouldn't make a habit of doing this regularly.
anteater likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Or you could, ya know, NOT violate the Terms & Conditions. Probably a low risk of being caught, but do you really want to chance it? I certainly wouldn't make a habit of doing this regularly.
I have never actually seen a confirmed report of someone getting into trouble for this have you?
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I have never actually seen a confirmed report of someone getting into trouble for this have you?
Can't say that I have, but I still don't think that deliberately violating the T&Cs is a good idea
anteater likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Once I have a point reservation at a JW for me and my friend, my friend arrive early in the afternoon and the front desk told him he will have to pay for the room upgrade, lounge access and etc if I don't show up and register at the front desk that night.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Can't say that I have, but I still don't think that deliberately violating the T&Cs is a good idea
cool, you do you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.