Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Q: Should Marriott get rid of its Ambassador service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q: Should Marriott get rid of its Ambassador service?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Serious question, what do you guys call so much about?

I am a mere Titanium member who made the switch from Hilton 3 or 4 years ago, or whenever that Hilton Aspire card gave diamond for just the AF.

I have 400+ nights at Bonvoy properties since then and have literally never called Marriott corporate at any point. At most maybe ~10 times I have reached out to properties via the chat feature once online check in opens to let them know I will be arriving after midnight, that my stay was for a special occasion, etc. Everything has always been met to my satisfaction at the local property level.

Not to mention hundreds of other nights at various places. I have been a top tier with IHG for several years now with the extensions, because of a project I did where they were the only hotel choice. Again, I have never called corporate IHG either.

This year based on a work assignment that is coming this summer where rates are 400USD+ a night I might actually get the spend for Ambassador, and with the promo last quarter will certainly get the nights.

Even if I make it I just don't understand what would cause my behavior to change and suddenly need to be on the phone with Marriott corporate seemingly weekly.

Just wrapping up an around the world trip where I've travelled through Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and Korea. I've been upgraded at each hotel, there have been bottles of wine, and notes from the GM waiting in the rooms, etc. Obviously, it is not like that when I stay in the US and I don't expect it to be honestly.

I just can't imagine my behavior or needs suddenly changing so much if I cross over the magic line into Ambassador. Obviously I never experienced the pre-merger SPG version of the program, but even if I make it this year I don't even know what my expectations would be. Especially in the US even at Luxury Collection or JW Marriott caliber properties. I have long since realized there is nothing special that can be done at a Fairfield, Courtyard, Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, or whatever off of some random US Interstate highway its not a Bonvoy thing its just that those places are unremarkable by design.

Do I just have Stockholm Syndrome?
Some of us folks both had experiences of Ambassador level before and after merger. So we can see that service levels indeed changed. I also was Ambassador level using my own money, on personal/leisure trips so it would be a huge disappointment having to spend 20K and not getting the service that many of us we accustomed to.

Prior to merger, contacting your personal Ambassador was all about soft product experiences at property level. Eg. Suite upgrades, special occasions celebrations, recommendations And reservations to excellent restaurants, etc etc. Now it seems like the Ambassador is there just to fix things that shouldn't be a recurring problem to begin with (missing stays, missing points, broken I.T., etc etc). It is like in order for you to get adequate customer service ( to correct stays, points, etc), you need to spend 20K. When having these corrected should be basic customer service, regardless of whatever your status is.

Anyways this is just my own personal observation. Having to spend 20K of my own dime for leisure trips, I just can't justify for the benefits the Ambassador program now offers. Now if I got Ambassador level using OPM, sure why not?

Last edited by supatight80; May 21, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Old May 21, 2022, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Again, my point stands that this forum can be so ridiculously negative that posters are now asking Marriott to get rid of benefits. It's obnoxious - this isn't supposed to be Reddit where everything is sarcastic.
No one forces you to spend time here. (Or maybe it's a required by TPG?)
SPN Lifer, Tanic, UA-NYC and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by supatight80
Some of us folks both had experiences of Ambassador level before and after merger. So we can see that service levels indeed changed. I also was Ambassador level using my own money, on personal/leisure trips so it would be a huge disappointment having to spend 20K and not getting the service that many of us we accustomed to.

Prior to merger, contacting your personal Ambassador was all about soft product experiences at property level. Eg. Suite upgrades, special occasions celebrations, recommendations And reservations to excellent restaurants, etc etc. Now it seems like the Ambassador is there just to fix things that shouldn't be a recurring problem to begin with (missing stays, missing points, broken I.T., etc etc). It is like in order for you to get adequate customer service ( to correct stays, points, etc), you need to spend 20K. When having these corrected should be basic customer service, regardless of whatever your status is.

Anyways this is just my own personal observation. Having to spend 20K of my own dime for leisure trips, I just can't justify for the benefits the Ambassador program now offers. Now if I got Ambassador level using OPM, sure why not?
Same experience here. It was fairly good and certainly useful about 4 or 5 years ago. Particularly when I had special occasion travel.

Nowadays, from reading the replies in this thread I gather maybe it’s supposed to just be a shortcut in resolving Admin issues. Nothing more, nothing less. That’s fine if that’s the case. But then market it and promise it that way.

For context, I’ve been an Ambassador for the past 6 years straight with an average of 200 - 250 Marriott nights a year and in excess of $60k spend per year, even during COVID. Maybe Marriott will go back to the prior Ambassador level service in the future.
emma dog likes this.

Last edited by Roger Lococco; May 21, 2022 at 7:20 pm
Old May 21, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Again, my point stands that this forum can be so ridiculously negative that posters are now asking Marriott to get rid of benefits.
Gurl.. Marriott did that on their own..
Old May 21, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
No one forces you to spend time here. (Or maybe it's a required by TPG?)
Your conspiracy theories about my motives are getting ridiculous. As far as I see it, I'm one of the few on here providing legitimate and thorough reports of what an Ambassador member can experience at different properties. Do you see any of my many photos on TPG or another travel site?

You're right - no one forces anyone to be on this site, but I have every right to complain about the contents of others' posts as you have every right to complain about my posts (which you seem to like to do).

Everyone knows that Ambassador service can be improved, but getting rid of it would not be an improvement. If it bothers people so much, you can always call the normal phone line.
DJ_Iceman and spgvun like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Marriott seems to have a crisis of inconsistency. Franchises are in full rebellion over spending money on elites, even as HQ continues to overpromise benefits. Highest level elites get band aid service…but still most feel let down.
VSLover, mikebor and estrela like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Marriott seems to have a crisis of inconsistency. Franchises are in full rebellion over spending money on elites, even as HQ continues to overpromise benefits. Highest level elites get band aid service…but still most feel let down.
This, right here, is the key. Marriott used to be (like 20-30 years ago) masters at consistency. And honestly, the hard and soft products were consistently good to great! But you could always count on the company to ensure that minimum standard which even back then was generally better than the competition.

I still think, for the most part, Marriott is superior to the competition. But the problem is consistency--guests can no longer count on brand standards being consistently enforced, so some properties lag while others still excel. And corporate has little power or inclination to bring the rogue properties to heel. Add to that, the company has gotten so big and unwieldy that when inevitable problems occur (IT, reservations, billing, etc.), guests sometimes end up in limbo where no one is able or willing to help resolve issues.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it--when a person with the same last name as most of the hotels was in charge, they had both the clout and the compelling reason to ensure guests were treated well. Now Marriott is just another "hospitality company" at the whims of whatever leaders (at both the corporate and individual location level) they attract, who often flit between Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG as their careers advance. Marriott is no longer special, or at least as special as they used to be, where they could attract the best and the brightest. Just read an old copy of Marriott's "Spirit to Serve" which they used to put in the hotel rooms next to the Bible and the Book of Mormon--the stories in that book were merely examples of the level of service the Marriott company strived to achieve all the time. Today I think those kinds of stories would be rare indeed.
Old May 22, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I am not a Marriott apologist by any means, but I can appreciate that with the Great Resignation, some hotels are finding it difficult to hire sufficient staff to return the hotel to full operation. Perhaps some hotels are using this as an opportunity to reduce service and increase profits, but having discussed the issues with numerous GMs at properties of varying class, I am inclined to give hotels the benefit of the doubt. Employers across the various sectors are complaining about the inability to hire replacement workers in sufficient quantities. Even last week as I was being measured for a tailor made suit, the normal 3 weeks turnaround is now 3 months due to lack of staffing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 3:32 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Curious to hear what Flyertalk posters think about this.

In my view, this is a program that has in effect been diluted to the point where it’s more of a negative than a positive.
Imo once the personal ambassadors went away(I still have mine as a special case luckily) yes the program should be discontinued. The one time I had to call the general ambassador line to get help it was awful. Numerous ambassadors not willing to add my points I rightfully earned to use at a hotel that same day. They could care less I would have to spend hundreds of dollars instead of using my rightfully earned points. I called and spoke to 6 different ambassadors asking for help and they all told me no. Some got off on it telling me no. Then I found out from my personal ambassador once she returned from vacation that a few of the ambassador agents I spoke with actually put notes in my account telling others NOT to help me.

I mean if that doesn't sum up how horrible the program is now I don't know what does. At one time I thought it was great. Now it needs to end, especially since the CEO cares more about the owners than he does us the customers. So expecting it to improve is wishful thinking.
MSPeconomist and Seat 1F like this.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
I’ve kept my personal Ambassador for three years. Their service and follow-up is excellent. Communication is top notch. For me, it’s one of the main reasons I have moved 100% of my business to full service Marriotts v. Hilton where I am a lifetime Diamond Honors member.
SPN Lifer, clarkef and spgvun like this.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by buckeye91
I’ve kept my personal Ambassador for three years. Their service and follow-up is excellent. Communication is top notch. For me, it’s one of the main reasons I have moved 100% of my business to full service Marriotts v. Hilton where I am a lifetime Diamond Honors member.
My personal Ambassador, who was quite good, was laid off by Marriott during the COVID downturn. I think that’s essentially when the Ambassador program quit being what it’s supposed to be. My understanding is that there was a massive layoff and that Marriott lost a large number of its Ambassador staff. I haven’t seen any signs that Marriott plans to bring the program back to what it used to be.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Same experience here. It was fairly good and certainly useful about 4 or 5 years ago. Particularly when I had special occasion travel.

Nowadays, from reading the replies in this thread I gather maybe it’s supposed to just be a shortcut in resolving Admin issues. Nothing more, nothing less. That’s fine if that’s the case. But then market it and promise it that way.

For context, I’ve been an Ambassador for the past 6 years straight with an average of 200 - 250 Marriott nights a year and in excess of $60k spend per year, even during COVID. Maybe Marriott will go back to the prior Ambassador level service in the future.
I'm confused. The information under your username says that you're Bonvoy Plat (NOT AMB) and were SPG Plat. Five or six years of Ambassador status would normally also be associated with lifetime status. If you're not currently AMB, why do you care whether there is an Ambassador program or not? In fact, even if you're currently AMB, you can just ignore the program without any effect on you, so why are you suggesting that it be eliminated for others?
clarkef, mmayer, spgvun and 3 others like this.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
My personal Ambassador, who was quite good, was laid off by Marriott during the COVID downturn. I think that’s essentially when the Ambassador program quit being what it’s supposed to be. My understanding is that there was a massive layoff and that Marriott lost a large number of its Ambassador staff. I haven’t seen any signs that Marriott plans to bring the program back to what it used to be.
That's accurate. They did rehire some of the Ambassador employees back.
I know I'm fortunate in that I have not experienced any decline in service or communication even during COVID from my Ambassador.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm confused. The information under your username says that you're Bonvoy Plat (NOT AMB) and were SPG Plat. Five or six years of Ambassador status would normally also be associated with lifetime status. If you're not currently AMB, why do you care whether there is an Ambassador program or not? In fact, even if you're currently AMB, you can just ignore the program without any effect on you, so why are you suggesting that it be eliminated for others?
I haven’t bothered to update my profile for a while.
Old May 22, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by buckeye91
That's accurate. They did rehire some of the Ambassador employees back.
I know I'm fortunate in that I have not experienced any decline in service or communication even during COVID from my Ambassador.
I get bounced around a load of random people, some of whom are vaguely competent, many of whom don’t communicate well in written English or have any idea what they are doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.