Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : "Destination fees" at Marriott Bonvoy properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : "Destination fees" at Marriott Bonvoy properties

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:28 am

So,I suppose the solution is to never patronize a hotel that charges a "destination fee". I consider those junk fees to be immoral anyway, and an indication that the property uses sharp practices, so that seems a good solution.

And if/when I get stuck with such a fee, downgrade them in the rating. If enough of us do that it might put a stop to the practice.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

California has finally passed a bill banning destination fees, or rather, requiring them to be included in the advertised price. Let's see how the hotels respond.
SPN Lifer, dc2, goodeats21 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
California has finally passed a bill banning destination fees, or rather, requiring them to be included in the advertised price. Let's see how the hotels respond.
I think Marriott is already doing this, aren't they? The search results (at least for SF) show something like "From 470 USD / night Includes 36 USD Destination Amenity Fee."
Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by alamedaguy
I think Marriott is already doing this, aren't they? The search results (at least for SF) show something like "From 470 USD / night Includes 36 USD Destination Amenity Fee."
Yes, as a result of the State of Pennsylvania's lawsuit.

The California law is a big deal because it will apply to OTA as well. This will level the playing field and will likely force big changes due to the size of the market.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee

The California law is a big deal because it will apply to OTA as well. This will level the playing field and will likely force big changes due to the size of the market.
Hopefully it ends the Resort Fee scam once and for all. I know many will be devastated to lose the unlimited local calls and 2 bottles of water for $50/night, but I think we’ll eventually be able to adjust.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kacee

If OTAs will have to collect the resort fee, won't the hotels have to pay a commission on those fees, thus driving up the resort fees even more?
Old Oct 13, 2023, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
If OTAs will have to collect the resort fee, won't the hotels have to pay a commission on those fees, thus driving up the resort fees even more?
OTA, some of them, don't collect the resort fee as that is collected by hotels. hotels primarily pay a commission on room and tax rates which is normally the difference in what the guest pays vs what we get from expedia or other ota's..
Old Oct 13, 2023, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Hopefully it ends the Resort Fee scam once and for all. I know many will be devastated to lose the unlimited local calls and 2 bottles of water for $50/night, but I think we’ll eventually be able to adjust.
I think they'll just be part of the advertised price, as Marriott already does on the website. You'll still pay it, and get your unlimited local calls, and perhaps "access to the pool," too, but it will be spelled out more clearly. And I can't see the cash cow that is the now ancillary revenue on award stays going anywhere, so long as it is clearly stated at booking. 70,000 points plus $1000/night destination fee.
benfro6 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:54 pm

Leaning more and more to changing primary hotel chains. I tried to book hotels in Tampa and Sarasota only to find all the nicer hotels charging either a destination or resort fee in additional to the expected parking fees. Pretty sure Hyatt waives those in many cases too but need to brush back up on my status there.

Disappointing and makes me think were going to a Las Vegas style of root rates to get around rules.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
I just got charged a $17+tax destination fee at the Gwen. It is not disclosed. This isn't right, right? Photo of the Le Meridien as a comparison

Old Jan 8, 2024, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by loganre17
I just got charged a $17+tax destination fee at the Gwen. It is not disclosed. This isn't right, right? Photo of the Le Meridien as a comparison

Reach out to Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
loganre17 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:43 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I just did a test booking at the Gwen and no destination fee came up. When did you discover the fee? If it was at the property when checking in or out you should be able to just show them your confirmation and they can't add additional fees like that.

Their FAQ *does* mention a Destination fee, but they can't hide it there. Hotels.com also mentions a $15 + tax fee, but I assume you booked directly
margarita girl and loganre17 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:56 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I just did a test booking at the Gwen and no destination fee came up. When did you discover the fee? If it was at the property when checking in or out you should be able to just show them your confirmation and they can't add additional fees like that.

Their FAQ *does* mention a Destination fee, but they can't hide it there. Hotels.com also mentions a $15 + tax fee, but I assume you booked directly
It was at check out (I did mobile check out so it was a surprise). Yes, booked directly.

The FDM did remove the charge after an email. I did send these screenshots as well, so hopefully it's fixed on their end and they display it
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:10 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by loganre17
It was at check out (I did mobile check out so it was a surprise). Yes, booked directly.

The FDM did remove the charge after an email. I did send these screenshots as well, so hopefully it's fixed on their end and they display it
Good!

Would have been nice if they had taken your word for it at checkout. I'm sure they KNOW they did this and should be prepared for pushback to apologize and fix it immediately
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Just had a long discussion with the front desk at the Sheraton Times Square. They charge a 30 USD destination fee and give you 30 USD per day as F&B credit (which must be used on a daily basis). According to the front desk, this means that you are getting the credit for every DAY that you are there, so on the day of check-in from check-in to midnight, but there is no credit on the day you check out.

The wording in their policies is:
"The daily $30 food and beverage credit may be used in any of the hotel outlets ... Please note the credit must be used on a daily basis to receive your benefits."

My interpretation (and this is also the info I was given via the chat) would have been that it would allow me to use the credit until check-out. But maybe I'm also a bit stupid here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.