Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : "Destination fees" at Marriott Bonvoy properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : "Destination fees" at Marriott Bonvoy properties

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thumbs down FAQ : "Destination fees" at Marriott Bonvoy properties

I'm seeing this garbage 'destination fee' showing up and more and more properties. However, some recent ones have a note on the booking page that "Please note - A daily destination fee of USD 25 plus tax will be added to the room rate effective April 1, 2022" with absolutely no details on what that fee is for or what it provides. Marriott customer service can't even understand what I am asking when I sent an email inquiring about the fee, and calling the hotel front desk doesn't provide any information since they don't know either.

How can these hotels be charging a fee and not even tell you what it is for?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by rylan
Once again, the answer to this, as well as many other questions presented on Flyertalk, is the same answer to the question "Why Do Dogs Lick Themselves?"
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:57 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I'm seeing this garbage 'destination fee' showing up and more and more properties. However, some recent ones have a note on the booking page that "Please note - A daily destination fee of USD 25 plus tax will be added to the room rate effective April 1, 2022" with absolutely no details on what that fee is for or what it provides. Marriott customer service can't even understand what I am asking when I sent an email inquiring about the fee, and calling the hotel front desk doesn't provide any information since they don't know either.

Unless there really isn't any viable alternative in the destination you are going, just save yourself the hassle and aggravation of trying to figure out what it "covers" and book else where. Otherwise, just consider it as part of the room rate and pay up.

LAX

Last edited by LAX; Apr 7, 2022 at 7:48 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

You shouldn't pay any fee that wasn't presented during the reservation process. A hotel or Bonvoy can't change the terms of a confirmed reservation.
SPN Lifer, Tanic, Horace and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The notion that these fees are anything other than an add-on to the published room rate is a fiction. They are purely about revenue-generation, not providing any additional (let alone commensurate) value to the guest.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Another Flyertalk thread complaining about an anonymous hotel...
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Name and shame
dgreen12, Tanic, DallasEsq and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Once again, the answer to this, as well as many other questions presented on Flyertalk, is the same answer to the question "Why Do Dogs Lick Themselves?"

The answer is because they can.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Wait - frequent travelers actually pay resort fees?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by nydave11
The answer is because they can.
And I also give 1-star reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp to any hotel that engages in this practice. I do it because I can.

You should too.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
No one likes destination/resort fees. However, they are a reality of the current state of the hospitality industry.

Both Marriott and Hyatt properties frequently charge these (not sure about Hilton as I don't stay with Hilton) - of course, Globalists at Hyatt get them waived, but most travelers aren't Globalists.

If you see them as a part of the room rate and compare rates that way (easier now with Marriott's tax inclusions in rate searches), you can still make financially-prudent decisions.

I would not waste time with Marriott CS or property front desk agents as neither of these parties make the decision on these fees. If you must, contact the GM or ownership of the property, but frankly, that sounds like a waste of time that you could be spending having fun.
not2017 and rt23456p like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Wait - frequent travelers actually pay resort fees?
Yes, and this is actually a relevant point. Most company travel policies set maximums on *base* rate, and thus these add ons allow the properties to make an easy cash grab without potentially pricing themselves out of someone’s travel policy.
not2017, Mr. BoH and rt23456p like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
The US government needs to step in here to make hotel pricing all-in, just like how the US government did for airlines.

The two industries that need such a mandate are Hotels and the Cable/Phone company.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Springhill suites Navarre Beach.

Sorry for the slow response, been busy... but also been back and forth with marriott over email and still no answer as to what this is for or what it provides. Last message they said to let them know when I book and they'll get clarification from the hotel. Yeah, right.
not2017 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Springhill suites Navarre Beach.
Good god, Springhill Suites are doing this now?
rmc1, SCChris, cfabar1 and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.