Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Indianapolis, IN [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold

I just noticed on my upcoming reservation that the room photos appear to showcase a significant renovation since when I first made the reservation a few months ago. Has anyone stayed in a renovated room?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, United 1K, AA Platinum
Staying tonight, will let you know.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, United 1K, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I just noticed on my upcoming reservation that the room photos appear to showcase a significant renovation since when I first made the reservation a few months ago. Has anyone stayed in a renovated room?
Stayed last week in a renovated one. Overall the hotel itself seems modern. First time staying here so I can't speak to the previous setup, but overall very nice property.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Blake22222
Stayed last week in a renovated one. Overall the hotel itself seems modern. First time staying here so I can't speak to the previous setup, but overall very nice property.
Yes, very nice indeed. Indy is interesting in that it is a city that punches above its weight in hotel options. Largely due to all of the sporting events, etc. that can sustain the high end brands. Conrad and JWM are the best in town, though the JWM historically sells out at the drop of a hat.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:05 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Already, doesn’t seem all that long ago when it was built.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Curious what you original photos showed. Spent 8 weeks or so, on and off, last September into January at this property.

All the photos currently on the website reflect the rooms that I stayed in. I wasn't aware of any construction going on there, other than near the gym. I was told they were removing the pool area and re-purposing it.

Ask for a park view room, they are generally quieter than the city view rooms. There is a fire station a few blocks away that always seemed to get a call at 2 in the morning. They loved to hit the horn at the corner of West and Washington
Old Mar 31, 2022, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by mmayer
Curious what you original photos showed. Spent 8 weeks or so, on and off, last September into January at this property.

All the photos currently on the website reflect the rooms that I stayed in. I wasn't aware of any construction going on there, other than near the gym. I was told they were removing the pool area and re-purposing it.

Ask for a park view room, they are generally quieter than the city view rooms. There is a fire station a few blocks away that always seemed to get a call at 2 in the morning. They loved to hit the horn at the corner of West and Washington
Original Photos:

New Photos:
Old Mar 31, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Yep, never saw the "Red Room" design. They could have been changing over without any heavy construction going on.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
June 2013:

(turns out I took 66 odd photos during that visit and completely missed posting to the area thread (Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Indianapolis, IN) - have a bunch of the then Executive Lounge and the combo of the JW/CY/SHS).

David
mmayer and ElevatorEnthusiast like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Thank goodness I already booked my room for this weekend!
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank goodness I already booked my room for this weekend!
And that's not with taxes and fees included!

David
Old Apr 11, 2022, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Some positives and 1 negative.

Is this the better property between this and the FS Marriott? Probably, but the stay had one annoying fault that soured me a bit.

I had to ask at check-in about corner rooms or suites, and they were able to put me in a Corner King on the 31st of 33 floors with a wonderful view of the city (no suites were available online, so I didn't push). The view was remarkable with unblocked vistas and a lovely view of the Statehouse, Soliders and Sailors Monument, Lucas Oil Stadium, and pretty much every other notable sight in Indianapolis. The room itself was updated and not red. The small armchair was quite comfortable. The TV had the Internet TV OS. The bed was very comfortable with covers of nice thickness, plush pillows, and a plush mattress (definitely better than some other JW beds I have experienced). The bathroom was a highlight - the shower had in-wall heads that could be run at the same time as the normal head (definitely water hitting lots of angles - spa-like, I assume).

The room was great, but then...

I was told at check in that the Executive Lounge was closed and I was given a voucher for breakfast in the restaurant. The lounge was locked on Sunday. This morning, I walked by since it's on the 31st floor and noticed people. I went down to the front desk and asked and was told the lounge was opened but that I could use the voucher for the restaurant. When I went to the restaurant, the waitress told me I couldn't use my voucher and to go upstairs. Ughhhh, I was annoyed at the run-around.

The lounge was fine - the food (eggs and bacon) was okay for a lounge. The lounge attendant was very rude when I was asked for a lid for the coffee cups. They didn't have any, and I got a very curt response. The lounge did have snacks later in the afternoon on Monday. Apparently, breakfast is only in the restaurant on weekends, so come here on weekends because the restaurant has to be better than the lounge.

Besides the rude lounge attendant and breakfast scavenger hunt, the service was actually pretty good. My check-in agent was very friendly (but obviously misinformed about breakfast policies) and made lots of small talk. No issue with 4 PM late checkout, and no knocking.

Would I return? Probably so. The views were much better than the FS Marriott - this was one of the few times the view was so nice that I slept with the curtains open. Still though, don't trust what you're told about breakfast until you are eating the food.

mcgahat likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonderful photos! Did you go exploring over at the CY or SHS?

David
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
Wonderful photos! Did you go exploring over at the CY or SHS?

David
Not inside, but I did walk around the block and find the fun statue in front of the Fairfield!

Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Stayed here over the leap weekend this year (NFL Combine) and had a room very similar to ElevatorEnthusiasts. (Across the hall and up one floor, so views not quite as scenic as his.) Would concur that the corner king rooms here are very nice, with plenty of desk space as well as abundant outlets for the digitally-handcuffed. The executive lounge was open and breakfast was OK. Not restaurant quality but slightly better than what you'd find at a lesser brand lounge or a select service buffet. During the afternoon hours lounge was a decent place to work and/or grab snacks and coffee. (I'm lazy so I like to grab a latte from the push-button machine) The lobby bar and restaurant were mostly packed during the time I was there but I did have the occasion to get lunch at the restaurant which was tasty and was only seemed to have the standard 'hotel-markup' to it rather then an additional 'premium-hotel-markup'. All in all a great hotel, but for just a few nights the Westin or Marriott that are located in the same 'Marriott District' are also perfectly capable hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.