Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

26 Oct '21 Announcement : Marriott Bonvoy Elite Status Extension & Program Updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Marriott Bonvoy Announcement :

As travel evolves, we’re here to offer you more flexibility and options, including:

Your 2019 earned status, which we already renewed through February 2022, or your 2020 status, will be extended through February 2023. You’ll continue to receive your Elite benefits when you travel again.

Extending Suite Night Awards and Free Night Awards Through June 2022
We’re extending eligible Suite Night Awards and eligible Free Night Awards through June 30, 2022. Certain hotels have resort fees. Terms Apply. Plus, coming in early 2022, if you have a Free Night Award certificate, you can combine it with up to 15,000 points from your account (or that you’ve purchased) to access even more hotel and resort stay options.

Pausing Points Expiration Through December 2022
We're pausing the expiration of points through December 31, 2022. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months.

More Redemption Flexibility
In March 2022, we’ll introduce new flexible point redemption rates that move more closely in line with hotel rates, giving you additional options. Hotels and resorts will still have a minimum and maximum number of points for redemption rates that will more closely align to how they’re categorized today.

Our current redemption process with hotel categories will remain in place through February 2022. After that, you won’t see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Peak, or Standard.
You can look forward to these updates in your account by December. Read more about all the program updates and even more ways to unlock everything Marriott Bonvoy has to offer: marriottbonvoy.com/Status22.

FAQ

What are Flexible Point Redemption Rates and Free Night Award Top Off? (marriott.com)

Print Wikipost

26 Oct '21 Announcement : Marriott Bonvoy Elite Status Extension & Program Updates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrey
Mine have been extended to June 30,2022 today. The SNAs were extended the day before.
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
My certs and SNAs are now showing the updated expiration date
Do they update accounts in the sequences of status tiers?
Old Nov 4, 2021, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
My certs and SNAs are now showing the updated expiration date
Thanks for posting!

They must be working on them now. My SNAs have been extended to Jun 30/22 but FNAs and TP cert have not.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:33 pm

15 SNAs updated to 6/30/22
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mileageking
15 SNAs updated to 6/30/22
11 SNA in my account remain valid until 12/31/2021.

No extension so far.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
11 SNA in my account remain valid until 12/31/2021.

No extension so far.
Should be extended soon. Maybe doing by status.

kb1992 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
Ritz Carlton card nights/upgrades not showing extension yet.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by holocker
Wondering if it is still worth it to get the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX card with the big sign-up bonus now with all the changes taking effect? I will be able to use the $300 Marriott credit and do the $5,000 spend within the first 2 months.
I did it but with a specific use in mind. The bonus points will put me right over 800k points which is enough to book two 5 night stays at Category 8 properties before the award chart goes away. Then it’s bon voyage Bonvoy!
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
I did some checking on Marriott properties in my area and came up with a range of .3 to 1.8 JPY per point.

The Fairfield is the lowest, at 16,000 points or ¥9,000
At the lower end, a couple 35,000 point properties have a cash price of between ¥12,000-20,000.
Upper range properties (W, JW) for 50,000 points sell at ¥50,000 but one 50,000 Westin is ¥25,000.
High-end (Ritz) 85,000 are the best 'deal' as they go for ¥120,000 or more.

I am curious what happens when dynamic pricing kicks in. Will the cheaper cash-rate properties that currently charge 35,000 lower their requirements? Or is that too optimistic?
You sweet summer child... If aspirational properties are the "best" deal, those will go up first. E.g. use Fairfield as the benchmark, extrapolate from there:

Fairfield 16k for 9000yen is roughly 2 per Yen, so you can probably expect the RC to increase to 240k/night before they lower rates.

Am I being too pessimistic? Maybe, but that's much more likely than this being an "improvement" on redemption rates.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 10:06 pm

Any consensus on if we should keep 35k free night CC? I have a couple annual fees coming due and wondering if I should allocate that $190 to another card like signing up for Venture X or something else. I’m sure in 22 I can still get great value out of the FNC, but found them more difficult to use the past few years and thinking they will be extremely limited in 23. I personally believe it’s why Marriott is offering the extra 15k points on top.

thoughts or what are some of you playing to do?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:23 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem, but on my account, it seems that during the recent sweep to extend SNAs and other awards that were expiring in December 2021 to June 2022, the SNAs I had selected at the beginning of the year that were expiring in December 2022 were amended to expire in June 2022 as well. I brought this up to the Ambassador team, and they said they'd look into it.

Another IT sweep, another series of debacles: par for the course for this hot mess of a company.

khabah
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
SNAs have been extended, certs still have not.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Dreamwalker
Any consensus on if we should keep 35k free night CC? I have a couple annual fees coming due and wondering if I should allocate that $190 to another card like signing up for Venture X or something else. I’m sure in 22 I can still get great value out of the FNC, but found them more difficult to use the past few years and thinking they will be extremely limited in 23. I personally believe it’s why Marriott is offering the extra 15k points on top.

I’m going to wait and see, there may be a period when you can get good value. Long term it’s probably going to be a cancel even though I’ve had these former SPG cards for a long time now.
SPN Lifer and beachfan like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by Dreamwalker

If the 15 Elite Night credits per card are of no use for you, I don't think there is a compelling reason to pay that annual fee. Once the point values are tied to cash rates I doubt you'll be able to find incredible values with the certs like you can occasionally now.
renila and Happy like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
SNAs have been extended, certs still have not.
Same for me.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
If the 15 Elite Night credits per card are of no use for you, I don't think there is a compelling reason to pay that annual fee. Once the point values are tied to cash rates I doubt you'll be able to find incredible values with the certs like you can occasionally now.
What people seem to forget is that the offers on the Amex cards can be incredibly valuable. Even though I live in Canada, I managed to get $125 back from Amex offers on top of my free night certificate. That alone covers the annual fee. (I only used 4 offers all year. 2 Marriott offers at $50 each, $15 back for using Apple Pay and $10 restaurant credit, the last 2 used during my brief trip to HI in Sept. Most offers can’t be used from Canada.)

I don’t feel the same about Chase though (not impressed with their 5% back offer on Marriott properties) so I downgraded my card from the $95 Boundless to the free Bold at renewal this year.
mildfrequence and doenutt like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.