Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

26 Oct '21 Announcement : Marriott Bonvoy Elite Status Extension & Program Updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Marriott Bonvoy Announcement :

As travel evolves, we’re here to offer you more flexibility and options, including:

Your 2019 earned status, which we already renewed through February 2022, or your 2020 status, will be extended through February 2023. You’ll continue to receive your Elite benefits when you travel again.

Extending Suite Night Awards and Free Night Awards Through June 2022
We’re extending eligible Suite Night Awards and eligible Free Night Awards through June 30, 2022. Certain hotels have resort fees. Terms Apply. Plus, coming in early 2022, if you have a Free Night Award certificate, you can combine it with up to 15,000 points from your account (or that you’ve purchased) to access even more hotel and resort stay options.

Pausing Points Expiration Through December 2022
We're pausing the expiration of points through December 31, 2022. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months.

More Redemption Flexibility
In March 2022, we’ll introduce new flexible point redemption rates that move more closely in line with hotel rates, giving you additional options. Hotels and resorts will still have a minimum and maximum number of points for redemption rates that will more closely align to how they’re categorized today.

Our current redemption process with hotel categories will remain in place through February 2022. After that, you won’t see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Peak, or Standard.
You can look forward to these updates in your account by December. Read more about all the program updates and even more ways to unlock everything Marriott Bonvoy has to offer: marriottbonvoy.com/Status22.

FAQ

What are Flexible Point Redemption Rates and Free Night Award Top Off? (marriott.com)

Print Wikipost

26 Oct '21 Announcement : Marriott Bonvoy Elite Status Extension & Program Updates

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:44 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
That's the current case for advanced booking (If you don't have enough points). However, once it is confirmed, it is confirmed. Let's see what the lurkers can confirm.

Also, I think it will be very difficult to transition if someone needs to pay higher. Let's say someone is checking in on the 1st of March, and this policy went into effect on the 1st as well. How on earth would that person redeem the additional points in a very short time-frame.
I don't think Marriott cares. They will probably ask you to buy points to top up.

Last edited by Jma12; Oct 27, 2021 at 5:44 am
Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
This was done for this year. However, I don't think there is a need to do it for next year.
wait, you think business travel will be back at pre-pandemic levels in 2022? That is very much wishful thinking. Marriott will have to do something to account for that. I see no way of getting to 60 nights (for the purpose of SNAs) in 2022 with current travel guidance from my company.

Originally Posted by Jma12
I don't think Marriott cares. They will probably ask you to buy for points to top up.
They don't care. That is very very clear.

It is a bit tough to believe that Marriott starts such a massive devaluation in the midst of a pandemic. Not a good idea IMO. If we look at LH for example, they completely scraped (or indefinitely delayed) their new program in order to not alienate costumers. Honestly, the ability to get (mostly) reasonably awards with Marriott was a MAJOR driver for me to stay loyal. Now, having LT status earned, I feel like a free agent and while I will miss out on SNAs ... I can spread my stays more evenly where it makes sense. While Hilton has on average worse redemption rates, with no resort fees on redemptions and extremely generous promos ... time to move business there to be honest.
SPN Lifer, Jma12, tbm13 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:36 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by estedman
If it is true dynamic pricing they could go to 300-400k a night I would imagine.
If they go the Delta route - I'm currently seeing Atlanta to Sydney roundtrip in DeltaOne Suites for random dates in February for 930,000 SkyPesos - then yeah, it could absolutely go that high.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: LH LT SEN, Bonvoy Titanium (former SPG Plat) + LTP
will existing points reservations be granted

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker

Hello Lurker,

can you confirm that already existing points reservations for March/April 2022 will be granted as booked?

Thanks for the clarification.
Jma12 and pazza2000 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Flygirl_DE
Marriott Bonvoy Lurker

Hello Lurker,

can you confirm that already existing points reservations for March/April 2022 will be granted as booked?

Thanks for the clarification.
With some degree of confidence I can say they will, if not a points advance reservation. I’m less confident beyond March however I’m fairly sure a reservation made anytime in 2022 at the capped rate will still be valid in 2023
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I have been loading lots of spend on my Marriott Amex with the intention of more aspirational property redemptions.

After I burn the points I currently have, can anyone recommend a good cash back credit card to replace the Marriott Amex?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: MB Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eridium
One of my gripes about today's announcement is that Marriott isn't repeating 2021's policy of awarding half EQNs based on last year's elite status. Marriott automatically awarded 50% of the required Marriott Bonvoy elite night credits to earn the next level of status in 2021 to its members who had status in 2020. That was a balanced policy that awarded people who made an effort to spend nights in Bonvoy hotels during the pandemic, while still extending partial status to 2020 status holders. I had Gold status in 2020. Combined with Amex Bonvoy credit card EQNs and a few lengthy stays that I deliberately made at Marriott hotels, I for the first time earned Platinum, which will last through the end of 2022. Had they kept the same EQN calculus for 2022, I would have requalified for 2023. Instead I'll be back to 30 EQNs, needing another 20 stays.

Are there other Bonvoy members who would have preferred this? EQNs would have contributed toward lifetime status, and made requalification for 2023 either easy or automatic. Merely extending status feels like it's rewarding people who neither made an effort nor demonstrated loyalty. Marriott elite night credits were awarded as follows:
Silver members — five Marriott Bonvoy elite nights
Gold members — 13 elite nights
Platinum members — 25 elite nights
Titanium members — 38 elite nights
Ambassador members — 50 elite nights

Though the retirement of categories is my biggest gripe by far. I hope we won't see too much point inflation for the same properties in 2022-23, especially aspirational properties where I am hoping to honeymoon.
Didn't they announce the bonus EQN news for 2021 on the earlier months of this year? Hopefully there will be another news for it some time in early 2022.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Historically a confirmed points (award) reservation has been honored regardless of any increases in point requirements from the time of booking to the time of the stay. I.e. if you make an award reservation and the points are deducted at that time and/or free night certificates are attached to it, Marriott will honor it regardless of the point cost at the time of the stay. If it is a points advance reservation, the cost (points and/or certs), isn't locked in until you fund the reservation. So if the points costs goes up between the time you made a points advance reservation and when you have the points to confirm, the new point cost at the time of confirmation will apply. Finally if you have a confirmed points reservation and need to make any changes to it (date change, etc.), the new point cost at the time the change is made will apply. This is one of the reasons folks book points reservations as individual nights (except when doing 5th night free) to have maximum flexibility.

TL;DR I doubt Marriott will retroactively increase the point cost for a confirmed reservation regardless of any point cost increases from the time of booking to the time of the stay.

--Jon
SPN Lifer and ewoo like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by freed0m
dynamic award pricing is not owner friendly in general, maybe only to a few owners like St. Regis Aspen, which dislike award redemption. For the rest of hotel owners, award redemption fills otherwise empty rooms. For them, dynamic award pricing is bad news. Not only they lose customers because of point devaluation, but higher points drives award redemption away.

think about it. Marriott will not pay more to hotel owners just because it charges the members more points. It still pays to the hotel owners according to pre-defined formula with whatever points it charges. Now Marriott wields significant more power over hotel occupancies.

The real owner-friendly is to remove member benefits, such as breakfast, lounge, late check out, upgrade.
Theoretically, if rooms are empty at "standard" hotels (not aspirational), redemption prices will remain where they are now or go lower, which will entice come customers and allow Marriott to pay out a lower reimbursement in cash to hotels
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Does anybody have any idea about whether the "book 4 nights get one 5" or "5 nights for the points of 4" will stay?

I've used and like that benefit...
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DAV2355711
Does anybody have any idea about whether the "book 4 nights get one 5" or "5 nights for the points of 4" will stay?

I've used and like that benefit...
Seems like it will

https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-33250
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I have been loading lots of spend on my Marriott Amex with the intention of more aspirational property redemptions.

After I burn the points I currently have, can anyone recommend a good cash back credit card to replace the Marriott Amex?
I think they may be shooting themselves in the foot and I will likely cancel all of our remaining cards including the business card in 2022. As far as cashback is concerned I don't think 2% cuts it, I would rather cycle through other cards, get a bump n airline status etc.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/c...ash-back-cards
JNelson113 and UA-NYC like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I think they may be shooting themselves in the foot and I will likely cancel all of our remaining cards including the business card in 2022. As far as cashback is concerned I don't think 2% cuts it, I would rather cycle through other cards, get a bump n airline status etc.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/c...ash-back-cards
Thanks! Clearly I have some research to do.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:50 am

Ugh. This is the final nail in the coffin.

I am hoping Aeroplan comes out with a transfer bonus and will unload a bunch into that.

I can't even really unload these with hotel stays as I had 2022 still in limbo especially for the annual winter/Asia vacation! Not too interested in an abundance of domestic travel.

No idea what hotel chain to turn to - I guess it is definitely find the one that best suits your needs for price, location & amenities for each reservation. No more loyalty
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:44 am

The good news about an early announcement is that there is still plenty of time to clock the status challenge nights this year for both HH diamond AND Hyatt globalist.

Rewarding people who have spent a lot with exactly the same as people who have spent nothing for two years is absurd.

Last edited by KingCanute; Oct 27, 2021 at 9:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.