Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

NYC redemption: JW Marriott Essex House vs Ritz Carlton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC redemption: JW Marriott Essex House vs Ritz Carlton

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Since I race bikes and want to train even when in NYC, proximity to Central Park even for endurance pace rides is pretty important to me, so the CPS hotels have become really desirable. Plus proximity to 1/2/3/A/B/C/D/N/R cannot be beat.

StR charges for rollaway, so while DS is still travelling with us, there's a hidden cost!

I want to try the Ginza Edition maybe next summer. I remember looking at the Edition (TS) - the double bed rooms were not available on points :-(
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:08 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tripmaster
Since I race bikes and want to train even when in NYC, proximity to Central Park even for endurance pace rides is pretty important to me, so the CPS hotels have become really desirable. Plus proximity to 1/2/3/A/B/C/D/N/R cannot be beat.

StR charges for rollaway, so while DS is still travelling with us, there's a hidden cost!

I want to try the Ginza Edition maybe next summer. I remember looking at the Edition (TS) - the double bed rooms were not available on points :-(
The TS EDITION is not worth considering on redemption IMO. For category 7, I really think it’s either the NY EDITION or JW Essex House. If you want to be close to Central Park, JW Essex is your only real option at cat 7.

Fwiw, I think the JW Essex lounge breakfast is disgusting
Old Nov 25, 2021, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
The TS EDITION is not worth considering on redemption IMO. For category 7, I really think it’s either the NY EDITION or JW Essex House. If you want to be close to Central Park, JW Essex is your only real option at cat 7.

Fwiw, I think the JW Essex lounge breakfast is disgusting
Scrambled eggs, bacon, lox... seems ok? Do you not like the way they scramble the eggs?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I recently had an awesome 3 night stay at the JW Essex House. Everything was fantastic. BTW the breakfast in the lounge is the same buffet that the restaurant uses, and was very nice. Not sure what an earlier poster was complaining about.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I recently had an awesome 3 night stay at the JW Essex House. Everything was fantastic. BTW the breakfast in the lounge is the same buffet that the restaurant uses, and was very nice. Not sure what an earlier poster was complaining about.
The perspective: It's not good enough for what is a flagship upper end Marriott property.

David
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 5:08 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Scrambled eggs, bacon, lox... seems ok? Do you not like the way they scramble the eggs?
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Originally Posted by DELee
The perspective: It's not good enough for what is a flagship upper end Marriott property.

David
I simply found the quality of the food to be bad, especially the meats. Different people have different preferences but I honestly could not be paid money to eat it again. YMMV. IMO the JW Marriott Essex House is not really a luxury hotel (even by NYC standards) but I found the breakfast to be bad by any metric. I highly doubt they used qualify/fresh ingredients. Compared to the St. Regis breakfast, it is much much much worse. It’s honestly worse than what you’ll find at a food cart for $6 IMO
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
I would vote for the St. Regis, hands down. You are unlikely to get an upgrade, but all rooms are wonderful and come with butler service. And the breakfast you get free as a platinum is amazing. Service is also the best. We have even lucked out and got rides in their car. We have a 4th stay booked there for next May.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by joey965
I would vote for the St. Regis, hands down. You are unlikely to get an upgrade, but all rooms are wonderful and come with butler service. And the breakfast you get free as a platinum is amazing. Service is also the best. We have even lucked out and got rides in their car. We have a 4th stay booked there for next May.
STR is nice, but seemingly polarizing on this site (though it seems like most NYC properties are polarizing here). I agree the breakfast benefit is actually great. Service IME has been very good but ymmv. I sincerely believe they care about what rate you are paying. Idk why…
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, United Premier Silver, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WasKnown
When did you stay? The Dior suite is a specialty suite so that must have been quite the experience. I don’t think that is a typical upgrade. Recent data points show that upgrades are now far more rare on point redemptions. 11 Howard does not have specialty suites but still gave me a suite upgrade. No breakfast benefit but the food scene is better. For people that are younger, I think the rooms could be more appealing as well. It’s also only $400-$600 cash vs. the $900-$1300 cash the STR goes for.

The STR is a property where tipping your butler in cash for room service (or every interaction) is very common btw.
Apologies, I totally missed this!

We stayed there in February of 2020. We had another point redemption this past weekend at the St. Regis and got upgraded AGAIN, this time to a regular suite (room 301). The one thing that we had in common each time was that well in advance I asked for a 4:00 PM checkout and both times when we checked in they said you can have this suite if you can be out by 1:00 PM. So I wonder if they did it in order to free up rooms during busy times. Both times they were for one night.

We are staying at 11 Howard Dec 4-7 so fingers crossed on a suite upgrade there (I think unlikely. The city is once again jammed with hotel reservations). I do agree that the one thing that I really like about 11 Howard is the restaurant selection around that hotel is outstanding (Thai Diner, Rubirosa, Osteria Morini, La Esquina, etc. etc.).
WasKnown likes this.

Last edited by mciampa; Nov 29, 2021 at 9:12 am
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:26 am

Avoid the Marriott Essex House, worst 5* House I stayed in. I would better invest more points on my award stay to the Ritz instead of this, just annoying.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mciampa
We stayed there in February of 2020. We had another point redemption this past weekend at the St. Regis and got upgraded AGAIN, this time to a regular suite (room 301). The one thing that we had in common each time was that well in advance I asked for a 4:00 PM checkout and both times when we checked in they said you can have this suite if you can be out by 1:00 PM. So I wonder if they did it in order to free up rooms during busy times. Both times they were for one night.
The STR NY is famous for trading suite upgrades in exchange for 4 PM check out. I'm surprised they let you check out at 1 instead of noon.

Have fun on your NYC trip!
Old Nov 30, 2021, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by joey965
I wanted to maximize my chance for an upgrade... agreed that breakfast there is meh if only on variety; Westin Tokyo breakfasts were fabulous, and of course Suiran and PH Tokyo were off menu. Even Hyatt Regency Kyoto bfast was aces. But I havent stayed at StR NY to compare and probably wont given our prioritization for suite upgrades as a family of 3 adult-sized humans + bike.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 3:45 pm

I wanted to maximize my chance for an upgrade... agreed that breakfast there is meh if only on variety; Westin Tokyo breakfasts were fabulous, and of course Suiran and PH Tokyo were off menu. Even Hyatt Regency Kyoto bfast was aces. But I havent stayed at StR NY to compare and probably wont given our prioritization for suite upgrades as a family of 3 adult-sized humans + bike.
STR seems very hit or miss with upgrades. Previously, I theorized that they are only stingy with points stays. However, I now think the staff gives different people different treatment based on their superficial perception of you. I know for a fact that staff at this hotel will google their guests. Kind of weird imo but it is what it is.

If (for whatever reason) they want to impress you, upgrades to the fifth avenue suite and the STR suite are on the table. If they don’t care, you will be lucky to get an upgrade to a grand luxe. Regardless, you will likely be trading a suite for a late check out.

Essex House seems pretty generous with upgrades. The suites are much worse compared to STR suites though. The ceilings are also much lower. It does not feel like a luxury property but it is easier to get more space. It’s also obviously a bit cheaper.
tripmaster likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.