Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Grotta Giusti Thermal Spa Resort Tuscany, Italy, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grotta Giusti Thermal Spa Resort Tuscany, Italy, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United

Anyone have any experience here? How likely are they to accept SNAs, or give upgrades? All the rooms seem only for two people, do they accommodate families of 3?
Old Sep 4, 2021, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

We stayed here for 5 nights recently. Very nice hotel with great staff, and access to the thermal pool beside the hotel.
travelista likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by vanabb
We stayed here for 5 nights recently. Very nice hotel with great staff, and access to the thermal pool beside the hotel.
great! I will be there in a few weeks.
Are there just external pools ? Is it crowded?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
great! I will be there in a few weeks.
Are there just external pools ? Is it crowded?
When we arrived on Sunday afternoon the thermal pool was crowded, but it was not busy at all the rest of the week. There is also a nice 'cold' pool on the other side of the hotel. We didn't use the spa area, the caves. Breakfast was good with lots of choices. A great stay overall.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by vanabb
When we arrived on Sunday afternoon the thermal pool was crowded, but it was not busy at all the rest of the week. There is also a nice 'cold' pool on the other side of the hotel. We didn't use the spa area, the caves. Breakfast was good with lots of choices. A great stay overall.
Thanks for the info. Did they allow 3 people in the room? We are planning for a trip in July and have a toddler with us.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:02 am

Grotta Giusti Autograph Collection, Italy

Grotta Giusti Autograph Collection, Monsummano Terme/ Italy

Hi, anyone know for sure if there is a free breakfast offering for Platinum member?
Thank you

Last edited by Antje77; Jun 16, 2022 at 7:05 am Reason: Typing errors
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Marriott PP, HH G, GC Jade
I was there on points in april (I'm titanium) and I had the free breakfast. Moreover: I booked 2 rooms and also for the 2nd room they didn't charge me the breakfast.
Antje77 and medlockbridge9 like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 8:55 pm

Any more detailed reviews woud be appreciated! Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2023, 2:48 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by FTDDD
Any more detailed reviews woud be appreciated! Thanks
I wrote one after a stay a couple weeks ago, but looks like it disappeared. Spent 5 nights as Titanium, and had a pretty mixed experience.

Allegedly received an upgrade, but this could only have been a minimally larger room. Most importantly, we were looking out at a wall. Beds comfortable, but the furniture (and indeed much of the hotel) is showing its age. Not sure why, but I assumed everything would be brand spanking new. There was no heat in the room or bathroom, and beacuse of the lack of daylight, no way to dry our swimwear.

Breakfast given in lieu of points, a buffet with all the basics, but obviously not worth paying for. Service really not good. Had dinner once, €136 for appetizers and bland pastas, really disappointing. Much better to head down the street to the trattoria (don't remember the name, but can't miss it), which had great, reasonable food, and one night we crashed a huge family party where people started singing karaoke at 10pm. Had a couple drinks at the hotel and poolside food, once again nothing memorable.

The Grotto is really exciting to explore, although not free (€25 for entry IIRC, and you can also book treatments there). Thermal pool outside is fun, but I don't know how busy it gets in peak season.

The clientele was mixed, some good people watching (late midlife crisis German with his 25 y/o model companion, flashy Italians), but also large student tour groups. In terms of exploring the area, some nice villages nearby, Lucca is easily accessible, but daytrips to Florence would be too much hassle for my liking, and Siena, San Gimignano etc are too far.

Revenue rates were eye-watering (€450/night) and I don't know what points rates look like now. When I booked (almost a year ago), it was just under 100k points for 5 nights, so pretty good redemption value. But definitely not a must-stay.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
I wrote one after a stay a couple weeks ago, but looks like it disappeared. Spent 5 nights as Titanium, and had a pretty mixed experience.

Allegedly received an upgrade, but this could only have been a minimally larger room. Most importantly, we were looking out at a wall. Beds comfortable, but the furniture (and indeed much of the hotel) is showing its age. Not sure why, but I assumed everything would be brand spanking new. There was no heat in the room or bathroom, and beacuse of the lack of daylight, no way to dry our swimwear.

Breakfast given in lieu of points, a buffet with all the basics, but obviously not worth paying for. Service really not good. Had dinner once, €136 for appetizers and bland pastas, really disappointing. Much better to head down the street to the trattoria (don't remember the name, but can't miss it), which had great, reasonable food, and one night we crashed a huge family party where people started singing karaoke at 10pm. Had a couple drinks at the hotel and poolside food, once again nothing memorable.

The Grotto is really exciting to explore, although not free (€25 for entry IIRC, and you can also book treatments there). Thermal pool outside is fun, but I don't know how busy it gets in peak season.

The clientele was mixed, some good people watching (late midlife crisis German with his 25 y/o model companion, flashy Italians), but also large student tour groups. In terms of exploring the area, some nice villages nearby, Lucca is easily accessible, but daytrips to Florence would be too much hassle for my liking, and Siena, San Gimignano etc are too far.

Revenue rates were eye-watering (€450/night) and I don't know what points rates look like now. When I booked (almost a year ago), it was just under 100k points for 5 nights, so pretty good redemption value. But definitely not a must-stay.
This is terrific information. Thank you jpdx. Were you affected at all by the floods? I was also looking at the Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco as an alternative. We have a 5 night stay for around 130,000 points and I was able to book this last minute so our options were limited. Loving the people watching and the trattoria pointer. Sounds like the loyalty recognition wasn't something to write home about? Did you happen to do any trips to the coast? We were thinking of exploring some of the beaches - we do have a rental car. Thanks again.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:18 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by FTDDD
This is terrific information. Thank you jpdx. Were you affected at all by the floods? I was also looking at the Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco as an alternative. We have a 5 night stay for around 130,000 points and I was able to book this last minute so our options were limited. Loving the people watching and the trattoria pointer. Sounds like the loyalty recognition wasn't something to write home about? Did you happen to do any trips to the coast? We were thinking of exploring some of the beaches - we do have a rental car. Thanks again.
No problem with the flooding in Tuscany during our stay, although weather was decidedly mixed. We had a crazy downpour when we drove north, though, somewhere near Bologna. Later that day, we saw reports about flooding.

Re: loyalty recognition, the upgrade was really lame. You definitely don't want a room looking at that wall, even if it may be a slight upgrade in terms of size. Free breakfast is always good value on paper at European hotels in that price range -- I don't recall what it cost at Grotta Giusti, but we stayed at a lot of European hotels with breakfast prices in the €40+ range in the last few months. So on a 5-night stay with two guests, you're looking at a "benefit" of €400. But yeah, breakfast is nothing special, and there's no club or similar evening benefit, no waiver of Grotto charges, no separate Plat/Amb/Tit area at the pool, etc.

We drove to Lucca once and to Viareggio the following day. Decidedly not beach weather, so just walked the pier and had freshly cooked fish. So can't be of assistance re: beaches. But it's definitely doable as a day-trip, although if beach time is the objective, I would not pick Grotta Giusti as a base. Can't compare to any other "resort-y" hotels in Tuscany (only stayed at SR Florence in the last few years in that area), but we drove on to Villa Cipriani in Asolo (formerly SPG, now Preferred Hotels), which was lightyears ahead of Grotta Giusti. As long as it remains in the 100-120k-ish range, Grotta Giusti is good value in high season (vs. €400+ rates), but I don't think we'll be rushing back.
Happy and FTDDD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.