Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, Thailand [Master Thread]

Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, Thailand [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 3, 18, 10:34 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: khkchan
Wiki Link
SPG INSTANT AWARDS - as of Feb 2018
Private Airport Transfer (one way to or from airport) - 3375 points (car) / 4500 points (van)
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Bag - 1125 points
Le Meridien Phuket Polo Shirt - 1500 points
Half Board Lunch / Dinner - 1800 / 2650 points/person (excluding special / festive events)
Buffet Breakfast Adult / Child - 1875 / 1125 points/person/meal
Spa Kids Pass - 2625 points/child/day (child 12 years and below)
One SPG Beverage at Tonson Bar - 1875 points for 2 drinks
One Mini-Cup of Ice Cream - 750 points (available at Tonson bar)
Two-hour Thai Cooking Class - 5250 points / person
60 Minute Massage at Le Spa with a choice of Swedish massage / sport massage / oriental massage - 6000 points
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 3, 06, 8:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, Thailand [Master Thread]

Two thumbs up!

I am here now.

SPG is prevalent at this Le Meridien. A Platinum Ammenity Card was offered
(I took 500 points) and I was upgraded to nice Jr. Suite on award nights.
Upon returning to the room, Bottle of French Red, Large Fruit basket, and wrapped gift (Nice Beach bag) was on the bed.

Service has been great and the property is very nice. Location wise, it's 5 minutes south of Patong.

I have stayed at the Hilton, Sheraton Laguna, Holiday Inn Patong as well, none of them compare in value. This is a Cat 2. 3-4,000 SPG . Laguna is VERY VERY NICE. I have had 2 bedroom and 2 floor Suites with free champagne breakfast, but it is Cat 3 and 7,000 a night.

For Value, and a property that seems to respect the SPG program, I cannot recommend any other property in Phuket

Last edited by mtacchi; Apr 3, 06 at 11:50 pm
Old Apr 3, 06, 1:19 pm

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Value aside, how does it compare to the Sheraton Laguna? As nice?
Old Apr 3, 06, 11:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort

Sheraton Laguna is solid 5 Star.

Le Meridien is a 4.5 Star

Both have EXCELLENT rooms/Suites.. I have recieved two bedroom suites or two floor suites at Laguna. I am in a JR Suite Ocean View here and its every bit as nice, just slightly smaller..ie jr suite. Sheraton Laguna Wins..

Dining. I think the LeMeridien has more options on resort and in town.. Laguna has perhaps a half dozen choices and then some street places out of the resort in Bang Tao, but LeMeridien is only 4 minutes driving to Patong beach and all it's night life/ dining.. Le Meridan Wins,

Pools / Activities... Both have outstanding offerings, both are on the beach, it's a Tie.

Platinum Recognition: Both are outstanding. Tie

Location: Toss up, resort and beach wise equal.. If you have shoppers, then Le Meridien is much (30 minutes) closer to that..If you want to Golf, then Laguna is a better bet.

Recap- you won't be disappointed by either.

** A second large fruit basket has shown up in the suite this morning..I have enough fruit to feed a small village now..
Old Apr 4, 06, 10:56 am

Programs: UA, Delta, SPG, MAR
Thanks for the update. Going there on award stay in a week. Was able to get a junior suite for the 1000 extra points per night - a great deal given that they sell them for $350+. As for Laguna, I have never been, but it gets consistently bad reviews on trip advisor - strange for a 5* property...
Old Apr 4, 06, 1:02 pm

const3, please post a trip report. i am doing the same thing - upgrading to a 1 bedroom suite at the le meridien but not going for some time. i saw the sheration reviews on trip advisor and they were horrible. I am actually feeling not so good about the le meridien if the review above is saying that they are comparable.
Old Apr 4, 06, 1:05 pm

Has to hotel been fully restored? I had the pleasure of staying there before the Tsunami. I saw the pictures after the Tsunami and the hotel looked in a pretty sorry state

Cheers
Old Apr 4, 06, 7:50 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by const3
Thanks for the update. Going there on award stay in a week. Was able to get a junior suite for the 1000 extra points per night - a great deal given that they sell them for $350+. As for Laguna, I have never been, but it gets consistently bad reviews on trip advisor - strange for a 5* property...
As a person from Eastern Europe currently living in Asia, I have to say Sheraton Laguna is one of the worst Starwood properties in Asia. And it's definitely not "Luxury Collection" class hotel. Service is really bad, which is quite unique for Asia and rooms were awful. In addition I had an impression that "non-smoking" rooms were used as "smoking" from time to time by the property management.

There were no upgrading for me there and stuff was patronizing saying something "What do you want from us for your rate?", which was not low, by the way. Since I did spend some time at other Starwood properties in Asia and find them "very good" on a regular basis, I'm still shocked about my experience at this property with a lousy management.

Try to avoid it, it's not worth it.
Old Apr 4, 06, 8:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have always recieved suites, ect from Laguna. I enjoy the property.

Service at the Le Meridian is also questionable. One just has to overlook this small things and understand that Thai's generally provide poor service. I don't think they do it on purpose, I just think our western concept of service and their Thai concept differs.

I think most Asian hotel employees in general are reluctant to provide outstanding service as it would not be "written" in their book. There is a tendancy (and I worked for an airline here 2 years ago) to do EXACTLY what one was shown and not overstep ones authority. This makes impossible to empower the staff to provide outstanding customer service.
Old Apr 5, 06, 5:21 am

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mtacchi
Service at the Le Meridian is also questionable. One just has to overlook this small things and understand that Thai's generally provide poor service. I don't think they do it on purpose, I just think our western concept of service and their Thai concept differs.

I think most Asian hotel employees in general are reluctant to provide outstanding service as it would not be "written" in their book. There is a tendancy (and I worked for an airline here 2 years ago) to do EXACTLY what one was shown and not overstep ones authority. This makes impossible to empower the staff to provide outstanding customer service.
I'd like to disagree with you on this statement, since Westin Bangkok has fantastic service and folks are taking an extra mile to assist their guests with special requests. I've been to few hotels in Thailand, but only Sheraton Laguna did left such a unique impression.
Old Apr 5, 06, 5:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Westin Bangkok Lounge staff are the exception.

In fact they are outstanding.
Old Apr 5, 06, 10:07 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Couldnt agree more...

..always got a real nice upgrade, nice club lounge and very attentive staff...one of my favorite proeprties in Asia...now if they could only do some similar training at the Sheraton in KL.
Old Apr 5, 06, 1:16 pm

post tsunami condition

the hotel is quite empty.

they have cut back on staff numbers and have lost some of their better staff who found jobs elsewhere in the period that the hotel was closed (they delayed reopening a few times, presumably due to lack of demand). As service was always just so so, .....

there was some permanent degradation of the beach, now numerous boulders on one side.

they replaced lounge chairs with inferior ones, moved some minor recreational facilities to further hidden places.

the attraction of this property in my opinion is the setting, not the facility
Old Apr 6, 06, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by craigslist
the hotel is quite empty.

there was some permanent degradation of the beach, now numerous boulders on one side.

the attraction of this property in my opinion is the setting, not the facility
the beach there was always one of the key benefits - secluded and very clean. You say there has been some degredation - just how bad is it - do these boulders affect swimming? Am planning a trip next month.
Old Dec 5, 06, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I'm trying to decide between the Sheraton and the Le Meridian Beach Resort. Which one should I choose if I want to go closer to the town and sightseeing. I will be there for 2 days and 1 night.
Old Dec 5, 06, 10:52 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
well

Originally Posted by Scott218 View Post
I'm trying to decide between the Sheraton and the Le Meridian Beach Resort. Which one should I choose if I want to go closer to the town and sightseeing. I will be there for 2 days and 1 night.
do you mean phuket town?
well it is both not so near.

sheraton laguna is near the airport.
meridien is in karon.

if you want to go to the city of phuket (where starbucks etc is) than the meridien is better forthe location.

dp

Search this Thread
Search Engine: