Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to dump Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
The comments just confirm what we've known for a while, that Marriott's C Suite now views elite benefits as primarily a marketing gimmick, and doesn't really care that much whether they're actually delivered..
Personally I've always felt loyalty programs are purely marketing based and genius marketing at that. I mean, there are entire websites based on a free program constantly talking about them, debating them, etc. Even bad press gets their name out, which drives mentions and buzz. We are a minor group of the population, my family that travel could careless about points or status. its $ cost and location almost exclusive and I know so many people where its just a "roof" over my head, because they don't plan on staying at said hotel long. They are meant to grow customers or funnel customers a specific direction advantageous to the hotel. Everyone has them now from restaurants to hotels. I personally don't let status affect my choices anymore, I had Hyatt Globalist and Diamond Status for a while. I let both lapse as work quit having me travel as much and then I got Diamond status again with Aspire. I just don't care about an upgrade or late check out, though I have rarely had a late checkout request declined even without top tier status in any hotel. Upgrades aren't very good for me without a program like Hyatt's were they are promised through Certificates. I have had weirdly good success at Hilton though once as a Gold Member with the Conrad in Chicago and this year at the Maldives Waldorf.

On a side note - Anyone threads based around programs like Amex FHR or Virtuoso? I want to learn more about all these type of programs for my cash stays, which are rare of late with the points I have accumulated to spend and FNC.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I would love to not care about hotel loyalty programs and just book the nicest suite at the nicest property in my destination, but alas, my bank account says otherwise. At that point, why not try to get some marginal free benefits through elite status?
SPN Lifer, hnewman, slowly and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by Dreamwalker
Personally I've always felt loyalty programs are purely marketing based and genius marketing at that. I mean, there are entire websites based on a free program constantly talking about them, debating them, etc. Even bad press gets their name out, which drives mentions and buzz. We are a minor group of the population, my family that travel could careless about points or status.
I agree that most people don't care about rewards programs beyond accruing and redeeming points for free rooms. But these programs are bargaining with those of us who do care: stay with us for 50/75/100 nights, and we'll give you something in return for choosing our properties. Some of us pass the opportunity to get status like Hyatt Globalist to earn enough nights for elite at Marriott, and I think it's fair to expect the latter to hold up their end of the bargain. I don't feel like a bagel, granola bar, and an orange juice at a full service property is an acceptable breakfast benefit "because of covid restrictions" when the restaurants are serving a full menu and the rooms are as expensive as they've ever been.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have a much simpler answer to the thread title:

Book a room at a non-Marriott hotel. Simple and effective.
born sleepy likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have a much simpler answer to the thread title:

Book a room at a non-Marriott hotel. Simple and effective.
Also, if you want to send a signal and have the credit card ~ cancel it. Your'e less engaged without the card.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 1:28 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Kacee
And with those 9,000 points, you still need 91,000 more for a one night Cat 8 peak redemption . . . .
It is only 4500 total, as I mentioned 1500 for the first and 3000 for the second stay. SO, it's merely a chipping away process, but every little bit helps. Unfortunately, we cancelled our June Koh Samui trip, I have a Sept and Oct trip back to the US planned, assuming that Thailand can get their act together and relax the 14 day quarantine required for my return, and switched some cheap Fairfield nights for my San Clemente time back to the HIX, and the Bay Area and Chicago stays will be (mostly) Hyatt with a weekend at the IC SF to use my extended BOGO, so not going for Titanium this year. Or any year for that matter, as PLT is fine and only needed one more year for LT PLT. So, I won't be redeeming for any of those Cat 8 nights after all.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Isn’t this an example of a loyalty program warping your behavior rather than actually reward you? What Hyatt properties in Atlanta are there that are in any way comparable to the St. Regis Atlanta?
That is exactly what the reward programs are supposed to do - they warp customer behavior by offering awards to the customer liking. Regarding Atlanta, St. Regis is in Buckhead where as I have to be in downtown. Also, I do not see a point of paying ca. $550/night on this business trip.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Loyalty programs are a consideration, but if I have a strong preference for a property I will stay there 100% of the time regardless of loyalty program. If there is a weaker preference, loyalty programs may have more sway.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Hyatt is still my number one too, at least in a full-serve hotel. But some of them are also old and worn. Hyatt has also had significant general benefit erosion over the last 10 years, during the Covid melt-down, and also the sort-of, kind-of, post-Covid "cram them in--but keep the club closed rebound".

In an over-the-road 2.5 star market, a well-chosen Hilton can be better. But I've had too many mediocre Hilton full-serve stays to trust them. It is starting to remind me of my childhood, when you never quite knew what you were getting till you saw the room.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by jayer
Hyatt is still my number one too, at least in a full-serve hotel. But some of them are also old and worn. Hyatt has also had significant general benefit erosion over the last 10 years, during the Covid melt-down, and also the sort-of, kind-of, post-Covid "cram them in--but keep the club closed rebound".

In an over-the-road 2.5 star market, a well-chosen Hilton can be better. But I've had too many mediocre Hilton full-serve stays to trust them. It is starting to remind me of my childhood, when you never quite knew what you were getting till you saw the room.
I think it is safe to say all these brands are going the way making things less enjoyable to travel. Unlike the airlines, I find this fascinating, as AirBNB is such an amazing competitor. If they’re not careful, they will start going on a path the way of the American Department Store….
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
From a property development standpoint, I love where Hyatt is going. It seems that many of the places I travel have exciting new-build Hyatt properties in the pipeline.

However, I still see and recognize the value that Marriott's footprint brings. For me, every property I am interested in is either a Marriott or Hyatt, and I personally find it worth maintaining status at both. Of course, that will likely be much harder next year as the only reason I was able to be a Globalist in 2021 (both quickly, and perhaps, at all) was due to the combination of a double night credit promo earlier this year and Hyatt's halved requirements.

Next year, I'm honestly not sure what I will do as getting 60 nights organically (minus 5 from WOH CC) at Hyatt will be tough on top of trying to get 35 nights at Marriott (downgrading to Platinum would likely not be the worst thing), especially as I actually traveled more nights pre-travel recovery. Post-travel recovery, I'm going to more diverse locations but staying fewer nights, which I could see continuing next year. It might just be easier to stick with Marriott (unless double night promos align in my favor and I do some mattress runs).
Hah, I was reading through my old posts, and wow, 2021 ElevatorEnthusiast really didn't get it right - dropping to Platinum by choice? Really, past me?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Hah, I was reading through my old posts, and wow, 2021 ElevatorEnthusiast really didn't get it right - dropping to Platinum by choice? Really, past me?
Well, staying one night at a time is still fewer.

David
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Or you can just stay in whichever hotel you prefer in a given city and not give a toss about status at all. For example, if I’m in Bangkok I’ll stay at the MO. If I’m in Zurich I might stay at the Baur au Lac. If I’m in NY I’ll stay at the Mark. I could not care less about points or night credits. I cate about the fact that local staff recognize me and treat me as a repeat guest.
I try to live life where I worry about as little as possible so I truly commend your attitude. On the other hand I am addicted to points and status "perks" no matter how little they really mean! I wish I could do as you do. Keep it up!
clarkef and margarita girl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.