Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will make Platinum by end of April -- will it count as one year or two for LTP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold

Because of a busy work schedule combined with Marriott's double-night promo ending 4/27/21, I will qualify for Platinum before the end of April. My question is, will being Platinum for the remainder of 2021, as well as for all of 2022, qualify as two years or only one for lifetime Platinum? The reason I'm asking is that I am at 7 years for lifetime Platinum (I won't have to worry about the second requirement of 600 nights). So if the remainder of 2021 counts as another year of being Platinum, I would only need one more year after 2022 to reach the 10 year/600 night threshold. Thanks to any and all who may have an answer to this!

Last edited by nottooshabby; Apr 18, 2021 at 2:02 pm
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by nottooshabby
Because of a busy work schedule combined with Marriott's double-night promo ending 4/27/21, I will qualify for Platinum before the end of April. My question is, will being Platinum for the remainder of 2021, as well as for all of 2022, qualify as two years or only one for lifetime Platinum? The reason I'm asking is that I am at 7 years for lifetime Platinum (I won't have to worry about the second requirement of 600 nights). So if the remainder of 2021 counts as another year of being Platinum, I would only need one more year after 2022 to reach the 10 year/600 night threshold. Thanks to any and all who may have an answer to this!
according to the updated t and c:

4.2.e. Earning Lifetime Elite Status

i. In order to obtain Lifetime Elite Status, a Member must meet the below Lifetime Elite Status Criteria (4.2.f.) during the Member’s participation in the Loyalty Program. An “Eligible Status Year” is a calendar year during which a Member obtained Elite membership status (Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite, or Ambassador Elite) by achieving the Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite, or Ambassador Elite Minimum Requirement. The calendar year in which a Member achieves Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite, or Ambassador Elite Status, as described in the prior sentence, will count as an Eligible Status Year, in addition to each subsequent year that such Member retains the benefits of Elite membership Status. For example, if a Member meets the Gold Elite Minimum Requirement during the 2021 Eligible Status Year by earning twenty-five (25) Eligible Nights and becomes a Gold Elite Member for the remainder of 2021 and for all of 2022, 2021 and 2022 will each count as separate Eligible Status Years.
I would think based on the above you will get two years, ymmv with Marriott IT
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold
Thanks very much for the quick reply myperks!
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
So earning platinum every other year is treated the same as earning platinum every year for lifetime status?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
That's weird. And a change from how it used to be. It seemed pretty straightforward that you earn a year each time you met the requirements in a year.

This says you earn two years every time you earn a year unless you earned a year last year or two years ago then you earn a year.
MSPeconomist and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CPRich
That's weird. And a change from how it used to be. It seemed pretty straightforward that you earn a year each time you met the requirements in a year.

This says you earn two years every time you earn a year unless you earned a year last year or two years ago then you earn a year.
This came up before in another thread and I have a hard time believing this is what Marriott intended, but that seems to be what they’re saying. 🤷‍♀️
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Almost a 0% chance that is what happens in reality, but Marriott as usual is too dumb to proofread their own T&Cs, and the consumer becomes confused in turn and loses out
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Since you have 7 Platinum years, you will probably stay on 7 until 2024 or later, at which point you will have completely given up on Marriott.

The serious answer is that Platinum years are completely random and CS agents just make up excuses. Loyalty Lobby has been running an amusing series of different excuses provided by agents, all of which basically involve doing nothing.

There aren't a whole lot of people on FT who say that their Platinum counter is correct and has always been so...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Since you have 7 Platinum years, you will probably stay on 7 until 2024 or later, at which point you will have completely given up on Marriott.

The serious answer is that Platinum years are completely random and CS agents just make up excuses. Loyalty Lobby has been running an amusing series of different excuses provided by agents, all of which basically involve doing nothing.

There aren't a whole lot of people on FT who say that their Platinum counter is correct and has always been so...
Also Marriott has yet to update our Platinum/Gold/Silver Years from 2020...
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.