Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Yesterday they made darn near all of Florida High-Season!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yesterday they made darn near all of Florida High-Season!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Exclamation Yesterday they made darn near all of Florida High-Season!

When I was booking rooms & shopping the other day, most Florida Marriotts were at Standard season points-prices for the rest of April & all of May--with a few Highs on some Fridays & Saturdays and Lows on a few Sundays & Mondays. But last evening (Sun. 4/18) they switched darn near every hotel in the State to High 7 nights a week!
What's worse is that I tried today to change my stay to leave one night early, and it wants to reprice the WHOLE stay! So I called CS. Three reps tried to help me but could not.

Now I can understand being subject to the new price if I were changing to completely different dates. But here I'm keeping the same dates, minus 1. And yes, I did attach E-certificates. Oh well, I guess I've been Bonvoyed.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
Now I can understand being subject to the new price if I were changing to completely different dates. But here I'm keeping the same dates, minus 1.
You do realize that keeping the same dates minus 1 is changing it to completely different dates, right?

Always book individual award nights if dates are not set (unless you want to utilize Stay 5 Pay 4)
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Yeah any change to the booking except maybe dropping a night is going to reprice, even that needs a good agent, haca until you're confident they understand what you're asking (to drop a night). Then book that other single night separately. Then call up to put a note in the reservation.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Myperks, I disagree. "Changing it to completely different dates" would be to give up April 24--29 for May 5--9 or something. If you buy 5 individually priced items of sale-priced clothing (not a B3G2 deal) then return one for a refund after the sale is over, no store would be crazy enough to try to re-calculate full price on the 4 that you keep!
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:18 pm

Myperks, I disagree. "Changing it to completely different dates" would be to give up April 24--29 for May 5--9 or something. If you buy 5 individually priced items of sale-priced clothing (not a B3G2 deal) then return one for a refund after the sale is over, no store would be crazy enough to try to re-calculate full price on the 4 that you keep!
Your example is an odd one (at least for the purposes of comparing travel reservations).

But for kicks, if we use your clothing example, I think the more comparable clothing purchase example is you buy a 4 pack of t shirts on sale for $20 (normal price $40). There is a 3 pack on sale for $15 (normal price is $30). You go back to the store and say you only want 3 t shirts now but price is back to normal price for the 3 pack ($30), which is more expensive than your on sale 4 pack. Do you really think the store will say I’ll take one out of the 4 pack and give you $5 back? Think of hotel award reservations as these multi pack. You make the reservation as a set.

might have worked to keep the same rate if it was a revenue stay if the night you want to cancel is the last night.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Good analogy but flawed, MYperks is 100% correct, it is not actually completely changing dates in fact, but it is as far as the "system" treats it. Your are cancelling ad agreement and replacing it with something similar, but diffrent.
I think you just have to accept that like or not, this is the way it is, them gets to make the rules !
craigthemif likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:36 am

You are welcome to disagree, but standard operating procedure in the hotel industry is to cancel and reprice. The reasoning behind this is to stop guest from getting around minimum-stay requirements.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yeah any change to the booking except maybe dropping a night is going to reprice, even that needs a good agent, haca until you're confident they understand what you're asking (to drop a night). Then book that other single night separately. Then call up to put a note in the reservation.
No standard Central Reservations agent is doing to be able to do what you're expecting here. The only way someone at the chain/corporate can make this change is if it's approved by the hotel. Inventory is completely controlled by the hotel. Changes of this nature require approval from the hotel. Since standard agents do not have the authority to call a hotel and ask for an exception, hanging up and calling again will not change the result.

The only way this sort of thing happens is by calling the hotel directly or convincing the Central Reservations agent to get a Supervisor with outbound call privileges to contact the hotel for you.
craigthemif and Brendan like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:40 am

Just check out one day early and it will refund the points you paid for the last night and not change the points rate charged for the earlier nights
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Just check out one day early and it will refund the points you paid for the last night and not change the points rate charged for the earlier nights
That isn’t how Marriott IT works. If the guest did so, they would basically forfeit their points for that night unless the hotel manually intervenes on the guest’s behalf.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
No standard Central Reservations agent is doing to be able to do what you're expecting here. The only way someone at the chain/corporate can make this change is if it's approved by the hotel. Inventory is completely controlled by the hotel. Changes of this nature require approval from the hotel. Since standard agents do not have the authority to call a hotel and ask for an exception, hanging up and calling again will not change the result.

The only way this sort of thing happens is by calling the hotel directly or convincing the Central Reservations agent to get a Supervisor with outbound call privileges to contact the hotel for you.
You are correct that is what happened when I did this. The agent put me on hold while she called the property to drop the night off the reservation, was a while ago as well.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
When I was booking rooms & shopping the other day, most Florida Marriotts were at Standard season points-prices for the rest of April & all of May--with a few Highs on some Fridays & Saturdays and Lows on a few Sundays & Mondays. But last evening (Sun. 4/18) they switched darn near every hotel in the State to High 7 nights a week!
What's worse is that I tried today to change my stay to leave one night early, and it wants to reprice the WHOLE stay! So I called CS. Three reps tried to help me but could not.

Now I can understand being subject to the new price if I were changing to completely different dates. But here I'm keeping the same dates, minus 1. And yes, I did attach E-certificates. Oh well, I guess I've been Bonvoyed.
Just a bit of background, and trying to stay away​​​ from politics as much as possible... with almost no international travel yet, but a better domestic picture, Florida is pretty much "open" for activities, so demand has not slacked off these days, as it would've traditionally. Thus, I'm not faulting the decision to maintain peak rates. Hope that helped!
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Analogies rarely, if ever, work. Plain and simple, OP is changing his reservation. Thus, his new reservation will price at whatever it is at the time the new reservation is made. Forget the old one. Not worth arguing about.
Adam1222 and escapefromphl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.