Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

PSA: Caution: take care cancelling free night reservations on Bonvoy app

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold

I've had two separate reservations that I had booked with free nights certificates. After plans changed, I recently cancelled both on the Bonvoy app. On the second one, I noticed that the free night certs were not re-deposited into my account. At that time, I then realized that the first set of free night certs also were not re-deposited. (i.e., although they both showed up on the "cancellation" list under the reservations menu, the actual free night certs did not re-appear in my account). I then called Marriott customer service and mentioned this and asked them to look into this and return my certificates, which they did after about 5-10 minutes of research/etc. Aside from the wait time to speak with customer service, this was a relatively painless task.

That being said, when I mentioned this to the rep, she said that this was a known issue and that cancelling on the app caused this to happen sometimes (versus the internet). Just a warning to others that if you have cancelled via the app, be vigilant to ensure your nights are returned properly, if applicable. And, if you have a reservation via free night certs, just use the web/internet to cancel them instead rather than the app.
SPN Lifer and YariGuy like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Creates breakage, a la promo registrations online never actually working...feature, not a bug
Raylan and craigthemif like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:17 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by dcchi
I've had two separate reservations that I had booked with free nights certificates. After plans changed, I recently cancelled both on the Bonvoy app. On the second one, I noticed that the free night certs were not re-deposited into my account. At that time, I then realized that the first set of free night certs also were not re-deposited. (i.e., although they both showed up on the "cancellation" list under the reservations menu, the actual free night certs did not re-appear in my account). I then called Marriott customer service and mentioned this and asked them to look into this and return my certificates, which they did after about 5-10 minutes of research/etc. Aside from the wait time to speak with customer service, this was a relatively painless task.

That being said, when I mentioned this to the rep, she said that this was a known issue and that cancelling on the app caused this to happen sometimes (versus the internet). Just a warning to others that if you have cancelled via the app, be vigilant to ensure your nights are returned properly, if applicable. And, if you have a reservation via free night certs, just use the web/internet to cancel them instead rather than the app.
It's not foolproof on the web either. In fact, there is discussion of a work around in another thread to potentially save the hassle of calling in to get a cert redeposited.

LAX
Happy, mster, pazza2000 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX
It's not foolproof on the web either. In fact, there is discussion of a work around in another thread to potentially save the hassle of calling in to get a cert redeposited.

LAX
I've seen fewer reports lately. But indeed there is no foolproof way of avoiding this glitch.

The OP's agent was just making stuff up to sound knowledgable...
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Good to know re: issues with web glitch as well. Will have to be vigilant either way I guess!
Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
The trick is to detach the cert by changing to a points booking before cancelling your reservation.

It’s mentioned in the wiki here with a link to a post with a how to.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html
Rd3, mster, yyzflyer and 3 others like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 4:26 pm
T Q

Programs: HHonors/Marriott/Starwood/SWA Rapid Rewards
PSA - caution when cancelling free nights!

I just had the same experience. Used a free night cert in March but cancelled it first to rebook and add daughter's name to reservation. I received the cancellation # and thought all was well after getting the new number for the new res. The free night was then used. But I noticed recently that what used to be 3 free nights available shrunk to 1 night after just the 1 one free night was used. I called Marriott today (May 9th) and the rep happily reinstated the 1 night that disappeared in March. She said something about this happening often. I used my PC (so not the app). I don't know why their system does this but it's important to be vigilent! During the pandemic, a lot of my/my husband's free nights have been piling up due to the generous extensions and us having a few hotel credit cards each. But of course, the devaluation is making this even more tricky. 25k points for free night is not going far anymore. Eek!
Old May 9, 2021, 4:48 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This is not really new...
Old May 9, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I also had this issue when I canceled a res for this summer, but the certificates showed up in my account on their own after a few days.
Old May 10, 2021, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by LAX

LAX
Is there a workaround other than calling to release the FNA (or TP) over the phone? Likewise have had the same issue as the OP when cancelling TP or FNA stays online.
Old May 10, 2021, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Is there a workaround other than calling to release the FNA (or TP) over the phone? Likewise have had the same issue as the OP when cancelling TP or FNA stays online.
Follow the link in post #6.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And then there's the version where the reservation stays active at the property level, and you get charged for a no show . . . .

No-show charge for cancelled (and confirmed as cancelled) reservation.
Old May 11, 2021, 12:12 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by pazza2000
See link provided by margarita girl. However, it doesn't always allow one to detach the cert, so you might still end up calling. It's definitely worth a try before calling, though.

LAX
pazza2000 likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: AA, UA.
I too have to call the member service 1-888-287-9400 to get my free night cert. re-deposit back to my account. It happened to me and my friend.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Just found this thread.
I called in early this morning and cancelled a FN stay and the rep said "it's back in your account now". Well, no it's not. So tonight I sent a tweet. Haven't heard back yet.
Hope it'll show up in a day or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.