Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Compensation question

Hello all -
I booked two nights at the Aloft in Panama City Panama on the Marriott website a week ago. Arrived at the hotel and after some confusion about the door being locked a security guard tells us the Aloft is closed and we need to go to the connected Sheraton. After making the assumption an Uber driver would be confused to pick us up and take us to the same block we walked the ~500 meters around the block dragging luggage to the Sheraton. A this point I'm assuming the Aloft may be open since I saw someone inside, but doors are locked so they can funnel people through the Sheraton due to covid restrictions/curfews. Was given our keys to the room and lo and behold the Aloft is closed, we are in the Sheraton. Note there was no notification of these issues on the Marriott website and the reservation confirmation email made no mention of this. I considered moving to a different Marriott but the Internet in the room kept dropping and later my SO wasn't in the mood to go outside again toting luggage. Has anyone experienced something similar where you book a hotel on the chains site and are given a room in a different hotel? I get that guests are sometimes moved due to unexpected issues but this hardly seems unexpected. Rooms are still bookable today on the Marriott site at the Aloft with no mention of these issues. I never would have booked the Sheraton. What would be the appropriate channel to report this bait and switch to Marriott? What would be an appropriate compensation? Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Since I had a similar experience recently, I can tell you not to expect much more than token compensation (7.500 points in my case). Even though you technically got walked upon arrival, the T&Cs for Marriott Ultimate Reservation Guarantee state that it only applies if the property you booked was actually open for business on the night(s) of your stay. Since Marriott can claim this wasn't the case and the Aloft was closed, the URG compensation doesn't apply.
Slickw likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Just to save anyone else having to look this up : the Aloft and Sheraton Panama are on the same block, but back-to-back with entrances on opposite sides of the block. Google maps says a 250m walk between them.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:54 am

I had this happen recently at the Marriott Village in Orlando. They were funneling everyone who booked at any of the four hotels in the complex to the Courtyard...It was not a huge deal, but I still found it somewhat unethical that they were continuing to accept reservations for hotels that they knew to be closed. They did however send an email explaining the process and gave me points when I expressed concern about losing the specific room that I had booked with a kitchenette.

To me, the situation noted by the OP violates the spirit of the no-walking guarantee, if probably not the letter. I would be annoyed, too.
Slickw likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Apart from having to walk 250m to what I assume is much higher level hotel, what are you actually looking to be compensated for ?
Often1, DJ_Iceman and etkuo like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Apart from having to walk 250m to what I assume is much higher level hotel, what are you actually looking to be compensated for ?
It was a whole 500 metres. Apologies if the OP is disabled but for a fit and healthy person that’s a stroll even with luggage.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Well. 7,500 points works out to 30 points per metre for a 250 metre walk.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 6:32 pm

Yes, for having to walk 250 meters or 500 meters or, frankly, 50 meters with a lot of a luggage in 92-degree Panama humidity...an outcome that could have been avoided if the hotel had simply
1) Not accepted reservations for a closed property or
2) Informed guests in advance that they would be accommodated in a sister property.

**not the OP but answering for him anyway
MSPeconomist and DenFlyer23 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I'd claim the ultimate reservation guarantee and see what happens.
Slickw likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just to save anyone else having to look this up : the Aloft and Sheraton Panama are on the same block, but back-to-back with entrances on opposite sides of the block. Google maps says a 250m walk between them.
How far is it the long way around the block?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 4:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Slickw
How far is it the long way around the block?
I'm afraid Google maps doesn't have an 'I want to go the long way round instead' routing option. If you force a manual reroute the other way around the block, it's 450m.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 5:37 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I think we need to reach a forum-wide consensus on the acceptable number of points per metre (PPM)
Old Mar 16, 2021, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Anyway, yes this amounts to bait and switch and I would try to invoke the reservation guarantee. Marriott should absolutely not be accepting reservations for closed properties. They should proactively notify any guests booked at one of the situation so they don't end up outside at a locked door not knowing what to do.
Oxon Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 2:48 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Slickw
Hello all -
I booked two nights at the Aloft in Panama City Panama on the Marriott website a week ago. Arrived at the hotel and after some confusion about the door being locked a security guard tells us the Aloft is closed and we need to go to the connected Sheraton. After making the assumption an Uber driver would be confused to pick us up and take us to the same block we walked the ~500 meters around the block dragging luggage to the Sheraton. A this point I'm assuming the Aloft may be open since I saw someone inside, but doors are locked so they can funnel people through the Sheraton due to covid restrictions/curfews. Was given our keys to the room and lo and behold the Aloft is closed, we are in the Sheraton. Note there was no notification of these issues on the Marriott website and the reservation confirmation email made no mention of this. I considered moving to a different Marriott but the Internet in the room kept dropping and later my SO wasn't in the mood to go outside again toting luggage. Has anyone experienced something similar where you book a hotel on the chains site and are given a room in a different hotel? I get that guests are sometimes moved due to unexpected issues but this hardly seems unexpected. Rooms are still bookable today on the Marriott site at the Aloft with no mention of these issues. I never would have booked the Sheraton. What would be the appropriate channel to report this bait and switch to Marriott? What would be an appropriate compensation? Thanks.

Hi Slickw,

I'm so sorry to hear about this. If you would like to send a Private Message with you reservation confirmation number, full name, and contact information, we'll follow up this for you.

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
Old Mar 17, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
The armchair critics. Love 'em.

Its Panama City, Panama not Panama City, Florida the OP is referring to, and sidewalks are a problem even in the better parts of the city. The Aloft and Sheraton entrances are on opposite corners from each other, and yes, there is an easier way thru the parkade entrance between the two buildings, but for a first-time guest how can they be expected to know that? Its 90 degrees outside after a long flight...

This Aloft property is average so the old Sheraton is a small step-up, but compensation?...this property owner is cheap, cheap, cheap so they will push back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.