Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott - 2021 Elite Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by googs185
A part of me still wants to go for Hyatt Globalist though-someone convince me not to!
If you're Globalist and you use the suite upgrades, you miss the excitement of SNAs and wondering whether you'll actually get the upgrade since Hyatt's are confirmed at booking.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I think there's a lot to be said for having either Marriott Plat/Tit/Amb + Hyatt Globalist or Hilton Diamond + Hyatt Globalist - one program affording decent coverage across the world and a smaller with excellent treatment of elites and good service levels (relative to the competition). If Marriott had kept SPG at arms' length instead of Borg-like assimilation then you wouldn't even have needed Hyatt to achieve this!
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by yurtripper
I think there's a lot to be said for having either Marriott Plat/Tit/Amb + Hyatt Globalist or Hilton Diamond + Hyatt Globalist - one program affording decent coverage across the world and a smaller with excellent treatment of elites and good service levels (relative to the competition). If Marriott had kept SPG at arms' length instead of Borg-like assimilation then you wouldn't even have needed Hyatt to achieve this!
I agree with this. Unless I have a large work event at a Marriott (which allows me to $pend) it's unlikely I'll try for more than 50 nights on Marriott before transitioning back to Hyatt to maintain Glob. There is no real incentive to push for Amb again in its current iteration.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
If you're Globalist and you use the suite upgrades, you miss the excitement of SNAs and wondering whether you'll actually get the upgrade since Hyatt's are confirmed at booking.
The excitement and especially the disappointment.
DallasEsq likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:38 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
When will Marriott announce the status requirements for 2021? I can't believe that it would be the only chain without lower requirements. If they think travel will be peaking again in H2 they can have a gradual approach by giving each quarter one quarter of the nights given to us last year as a bonus depending on how the situation is evolving. But this silence is a bit disturbing.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gringuito
When will Marriott announce the status requirements for 2021? I can't believe that it would be the only chain without lower requirements. If they think travel will be peaking again in H2 they can have a gradual approach by giving each quarter one quarter of the nights given to us last year as a bonus depending on how the situation is evolving. But this silence is a bit disturbing.
Marriott is the Lufthansa of hotel programs. LH is still doing hard expiry of miles with no extension and no warning, and those (like me) who had 2020/2021 as qualifying years have still not been given any extension of status beyond 02/2022. The fact that even Accor has gone beyond Marriott shows how bad things are.
lsquare, GalaxyChris and lpolchlop like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:52 pm

I am hoping Marriott will do the same as last year: providing half the number of QNs for each member's status level from the previous year.
Maybe Marriott is waiting a bit more till the final numbers from 2020 are in for folks who had stays towards the end of the year, so they can provide the correct number of QNs to each member.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
I am hoping Marriott will do the same as last year: providing half the number of QNs for each member's status level from the previous year.
Maybe Marriott is waiting a bit more till the final numbers from 2020 are in for folks who had stays towards the end of the year, so they can provide the correct number of QNs to each member.
That doesn't help current ambassador status members on the $20k requirement.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking
That doesn't help current ambassador status members on the $20k requirement.
Hopefully they'll cut down the spend requirement by half as well.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by agjil
Hopefully they'll cut down the spend requirement by half as well.
Disagree. I wrote in further detail a page or so back. There is zero reason unless you can think of one(?) to reduce the entry requirements to a status that does not currently deliver any additional value over Tit.

Amb needs to be reworked or the multipliers increased; until then, they need to see the diminishing numbers of people within the group to wake them up. Filling it by reducing the entry requirement will delay a much needed change to the status.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: Yes
At what point will it be considered acceptable for Marriott to stop carrying over status?

It is unfortunate that many people cannot or should not travel, but that doesn’t mean the reward program should be liable indefinitely for extensions or carryovers.

I would love to see Marriott reward travelers who earn their status organically (not carried over or with the bonus carryover EQNs). Otherwise, I am the same as any traveler who contributed less financially to Marriott.

No hard feelings to anyone, just my thoughts!
SPN Lifer, skywalkerLAX and jjLDNY like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
At what point will it be considered acceptable for Marriott to stop carrying over status?

It is unfortunate that many people cannot or should not travel, but that doesn’t mean the reward program should be liable indefinitely for extensions or carryovers.

I would love to see Marriott reward travelers who earn their status organically (not carried over or with the bonus carryover EQNs). Otherwise, I am the same as any traveler who contributed less financially to Marriott.

Obviously, Marriott doesn’t owe anyone anything. But it’s probably in Marriott’s best interest to extend status and/or reduce requirements. If someone loses their status, they loss incentive to stay at Marriott properties. Maybe they’ll switch to another hotel chain. Earning 50 nights for Platinum doesn’t seem like a great deal compared to 30 nights for Globalist.
anteater likes this.

Last edited by bjdj94; Jan 7, 2021 at 11:32 am
Old Jan 6, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by damnyourefine

Agree 100%. I feel for these folks who are stuck at home but I clocked in 80+ Marriott nights in 2020 (+35 goodwill credit) and at some point the free extensions need to stop. Otherwise those customers who continue to contribute the regular way are becoming a laughing stock. Just some schmucks who keep on staying/paying but without any advantage over those who don't.
anteater likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bjdj94
Obviously, Marriott doesn’t owe anyone anything. But it’s probably in Marriott’s best interest to extend status and/or reduce requirements. If someone loses their status, they loss incentive to stay at Marriott properties. Maybe they’re switch to another hotel chain. Earning 50 nights for Platinum doesn’t seem like a great deal compared to 30 nights for Globalist.
The same principle applied to every other hotel chain. They should stop giving away free status beyond the calendar year 2022.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 7:17 pm

Maybe Marriott is waiting for March to come around to figure out who actually “made” status last year (instead of extended) before coming up with extensions or adding nights for requalification. Extension doesn’t really make sense at this point. People are over at Hyatt the first two months anyways.
SPN Lifer and skywalkerLAX like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.