Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Flight + Hotel booking made through BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:08 am
Original Poster

I'm MB Gold. I'm booking a trip to the Sheraton in Tenerife through BA as flight plus Hotel.

Do I still get my member privileges? I've tried to understand the qualifying stays but have got lost!
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
You do not receive status benefits, points or elite night credits on stays booked through a third party.

Edit: unless your “third party” is a Virtuoso/STARS/Luminous agent, or it’s a non prepaid FHR booking.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
In the old Marriott program you got full status benefits no matter how you booked. Most hotels still handle it that way if you can get your # attached to the reservation, but YMMV in particular with a Sheraton. Of course you won't get any stay credit.
So best is to call the hotel and have them add the MB# to the reservation. As a gold you wouldn't really get much anyway.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
I did this a few times in the past. Benefits are down to the hotels discretion if you manage to get the stay added into the app (or if you carry the card). I on a few occasions have been welcomed as Loyal member and nabbed lounge access etc but I wouldn’t rely on it.

However as above nights / points etc aren’t included.

The only reason to potentially book the hotel via Ba is on a last minute flight to get reduced flight fees, or additional avios.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjLDNY
I did this a few times in the past. Benefits are down to the hotels discretion if you manage to get the stay added into the app (or if you carry the card). I on a few occasions have been welcomed as Loyal member and nabbed lounge access etc but I wouldn’t rely on it.

However as above nights / points etc aren’t included.

The only reason to potentially book the hotel via Ba is on a last minute flight to get reduced flight fees, or additional avios.
If I book flight & hotel via BA its £1k cheaper than booking flight & hotel via MB or separately. Not really looking for any benefits although when SPG, they still offered the free upgrade most times even if booked via BA.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by molecrochip
If I book flight & hotel via BA its £1k cheaper than booking flight & hotel via MB or separately. Not really looking for any benefits although when SPG, they still offered the free upgrade most times even if booked via BA.
That's an excellent booking. Finding a superb deal like that is difficult, but they do exist occasionally. Congrats.

But you should definitely follow cfischer's advice. Call the hotel and have them add your frequent guest number. There's really no downside to it and you may get lucky and have a hotel that goes above and beyond what they are required to do.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I dropped them an email and they came back within 24 hours to confirm that they have linked the booking to my MB number. This is confirmed as I can see the booking on the app.

I specifically wanted to arrange an adapted room for my disabled daughter. I tend to find that MB hotels do this better if contacted direct rather than via BA. BA just put a request through whereas contacting MB direct gets it confirmed and reduces stress on arrival. All sorted, very satisfactorily.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by molecrochip
Thanks all. I dropped them an email and they came back within 24 hours to confirm that they have linked the booking to my MB number. This is confirmed as I can see the booking on the app.

I specifically wanted to arrange an adapted room for my disabled daughter. I tend to find that MB hotels do this better if contacted direct rather than via BA. BA just put a request through whereas contacting MB direct gets it confirmed and reduces stress on arrival. All sorted, very satisfactorily.
excellent. Looks like you are all set then! You can then also contact them via chat prior to arrival via the app for any special needs for room requests.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:15 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Marriott adapted the SPG GOLD benefits in the new program which doesn't get much you anyways ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.