Elite benefits for Free nights

Old Jun 17, 20, 3:36 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
Elite benefits for Free nights

I am thinking to redeem five free nights by points at a Sheraton hotel. As a Platinum Elite, will I still be able to choose free breakfast as welcome gift? Can I still enjoy other Platinum benefits like late check-out, upgrade etc.? Thanks!
cwang220 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 20, 3:54 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,585
Points stays and paid stays are treated the same.

However COVID19 may be impacting whether your chosen hotel is actually providing any elite benefits.
craigthemif is online now  
Old Jun 17, 20, 6:48 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 354
Depending on the date you will be staying at the property, all Marriott property have suspended elite benefits/brand standards till July 5th, 2020. Possibly extended depending on the Covid Pandemic situation.
Best is you email the hotel directly and get the benefits confirmation in writing before you make any travel arrangements.

To answer your question, traditionally - yes, for Platinum elites, you get to choose comp breakfast as a plat amenity, get lounge access if the property has a lounge, 4pm late check out and upgrade if available. Whether you book with cash or points, you will entitle for the above benefits.
cwang220 likes this.
exploreaswego is online now  
Old Jun 17, 20, 9:07 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Points stays and paid stays are treated the same.

However COVID19 may be impacting whether your chosen hotel is actually providing any elite benefits.
Originally Posted by exploreaswego View Post
Depending on the date you will be staying at the property, all Marriott property have suspended elite benefits/brand standards till July 5th, 2020. Possibly extended depending on the Covid Pandemic situation.
Best is you email the hotel directly and get the benefits confirmation in writing before you make any travel arrangements.

To answer your question, traditionally - yes, for Platinum elites, you get to choose comp breakfast as a plat amenity, get lounge access if the property has a lounge, 4pm late check out and upgrade if available. Whether you book with cash or points, you will entitle for the above benefits.
Thank you both for the speedy replies. It's great to know the Platinum benefits apply to points stays as well. I will contact with the hotel before making a reservation. Hopefully all will be gradually back to normal in Spain by mid of July.

Last edited by cwang220; Jun 17, 20 at 9:26 am
cwang220 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 20, 9:13 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,276
Originally Posted by exploreaswego View Post
Depending on the date you will be staying at the property, all Marriott property have suspended elite benefits/brand standards till July 5th, 2020.
That's not quite accurate. Properties may not be required to fully comply, but that doesn't mean they're not offering benefits. In recent Marriott stays (past 30 days), I've been granted late checkout, substantial upgrades, and even a breakfast benefit. IME, properties are mostly trying the best they can in very difficult circumstances.
SPN Lifer and markko like this.
Kacee is online now  
Old Dec 10, 20, 12:02 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 60
Just as a follow-on to the original posters question, do Platinum Elite benefits also apply to free nights from credit cards (Chase category 1-4 free nights) as well as the free points stays?
bobdevens is offline  
Old Dec 10, 20, 12:28 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Posts: 1,674
Originally Posted by bobdevens View Post
Just as a follow-on to the original posters question, do Platinum Elite benefits also apply to free nights from credit cards (Chase category 1-4 free nights) as well as the free points stays?
Yes elite benefits apply to those stays as well. Or at least they will once the suspension of elite benefits due to Covid is lifted.

--Jon
MSPeconomist likes this.
Jon Maiman is offline  
Old Dec 10, 20, 12:35 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 60
Thanks!!!
bobdevens is offline  
Old Dec 10, 20, 1:21 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT GLD, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Posts: 10,360
Is there any chain apart from IHG that doesn't officially treat points vs revenue stays as the same?

And even IHG hotels I never had an issue in 97% of all cases. Then again there are almost no benefits attached to IHG status to begin with so there's that...
skywalkerLAX is offline  
Old Dec 10, 20, 7:16 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Posts: 1,674
Even though IHG has virtually no elite benefits (it is mainly a points rebate program), I have reasonably often gotten free upgrades to suites at HIX and better view rooms at full service properties. Occasionally gotten free breakfast as well. So I agree with you that while it isn't officially part of the program, IHG frequently still gives some elite benefits on award stays. The caveat is it is at the discretion of the individual property. The major exception to that would be at Intercontinental Hotels where award stays are truly treated as second class stays (at least that is what I have been told). As always, YMMV...

--Jon
Jon Maiman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: