Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite benefits for Free nights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Elite benefits for Free nights

I am thinking to redeem five free nights by points at a Sheraton hotel. As a Platinum Elite, will I still be able to choose free breakfast as welcome gift? Can I still enjoy other Platinum benefits like late check-out, upgrade etc.? Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Points stays and paid stays are treated the same.

However COVID19 may be impacting whether your chosen hotel is actually providing any elite benefits.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Depending on the date you will be staying at the property, all Marriott property have suspended elite benefits/brand standards till July 5th, 2020. Possibly extended depending on the Covid Pandemic situation.
Best is you email the hotel directly and get the benefits confirmation in writing before you make any travel arrangements.

To answer your question, traditionally - yes, for Platinum elites, you get to choose comp breakfast as a plat amenity, get lounge access if the property has a lounge, 4pm late check out and upgrade if available. Whether you book with cash or points, you will entitle for the above benefits.
cwang220 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Points stays and paid stays are treated the same.

However COVID19 may be impacting whether your chosen hotel is actually providing any elite benefits.
Originally Posted by exploreaswego
Depending on the date you will be staying at the property, all Marriott property have suspended elite benefits/brand standards till July 5th, 2020. Possibly extended depending on the Covid Pandemic situation.
Best is you email the hotel directly and get the benefits confirmation in writing before you make any travel arrangements.

To answer your question, traditionally - yes, for Platinum elites, you get to choose comp breakfast as a plat amenity, get lounge access if the property has a lounge, 4pm late check out and upgrade if available. Whether you book with cash or points, you will entitle for the above benefits.
Thank you both for the speedy replies. It's great to know the Platinum benefits apply to points stays as well. I will contact with the hotel before making a reservation. Hopefully all will be gradually back to normal in Spain by mid of July.

Last edited by cwang220; Jun 17, 2020 at 8:26 am
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exploreaswego
Depending on the date you will be staying at the property, all Marriott property have suspended elite benefits/brand standards till July 5th, 2020.
That's not quite accurate. Properties may not be required to fully comply, but that doesn't mean they're not offering benefits. In recent Marriott stays (past 30 days), I've been granted late checkout, substantial upgrades, and even a breakfast benefit. IME, properties are mostly trying the best they can in very difficult circumstances.
SPN Lifer and markko like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:02 am

Just as a follow-on to the original posters question, do Platinum Elite benefits also apply to free nights from credit cards (Chase category 1-4 free nights) as well as the free points stays?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by bobdevens
Just as a follow-on to the original posters question, do Platinum Elite benefits also apply to free nights from credit cards (Chase category 1-4 free nights) as well as the free points stays?
Yes elite benefits apply to those stays as well. Or at least they will once the suspension of elite benefits due to Covid is lifted.

--Jon
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:35 am

Thanks!!!
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Is there any chain apart from IHG that doesn't officially treat points vs revenue stays as the same?

And even IHG hotels I never had an issue in 97% of all cases. Then again there are almost no benefits attached to IHG status to begin with so there's that...
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Even though IHG has virtually no elite benefits (it is mainly a points rebate program), I have reasonably often gotten free upgrades to suites at HIX and better view rooms at full service properties. Occasionally gotten free breakfast as well. So I agree with you that while it isn't officially part of the program, IHG frequently still gives some elite benefits on award stays. The caveat is it is at the discretion of the individual property. The major exception to that would be at Intercontinental Hotels where award stays are truly treated as second class stays (at least that is what I have been told). As always, YMMV...

--Jon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.