Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

DC area hotels with App /contact less check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Was wondering if there’s any DC area Marriott hotels with contact less (app) check in now?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Does Marriott ever offer a digital key? You may need to book Hilton to do this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I thought Marriott was working towards it for covid times?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Does Marriott ever offer a digital key? You may need to book Hilton to do this.
I am sure you are jesting! They certainly do! I was in New Orleans last weekend and the digital key worked flawlessly.

James
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
While I typically don't use digital keys (have once as a backup at a property that was having trouble with physical keys), many if not most properties from FI's to Full Service offer digital keys. Not sure if you still have to physically check in to get the digital key activated (e.g. electronic check in may not be sufficient).

--Jon
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I am sure you are jesting! They certainly do! I was in New Orleans last weekend and the digital key worked flawlessly.
No I am not jesting. I've never had true digital key availability at any Marriott property.

By contrast, it is ubiquitous with Hilton. I'm not a big Hilton fan, but this is one area where they are far ahead of all others. You can also select your room from the property map via their App. You can easily do an entire stay without ever having to interact in person with the front desk or any other staff.
TravisMT81 likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 10, 2020 at 7:23 am
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
While I typically don't use digital keys (have once as a backup at a property that was having trouble with physical keys), many if not most properties from FI's to Full Service offer digital keys. Not sure if you still have to physically check in to get the digital key activated (e.g. electronic check in may not be sufficient).

--Jon
It is interesting that you say “Not sure if you still have to physically check in” Last year I stayed at 2 Courtyards in the USA and used the online check in through the app requesting the mobile key. Both never sent me the mobile key and when at the front desk one want to swipe the credit card and the other wanted ID and to swipe the credit card. I declined to provide anything after which they both sent me the mobile key and the mobile keys did work. Not sure why the system doesn’t work better as Kacee mentions Hilton is light years ahead. At Hilton even before the mobile key when you check in online you show up give your name and they hand you the keys.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
What's missing on the Marriott side is the requirements to get a digital key, whether globally via MI or with individual properties. I'm not sure if they are conscious decisions or ignorance/failure on the part of individual team members, but the lack of consistency -even over time at the same property- is maddening. True digital key at Marriott is definitely possible, just horribly inconsistent.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
It is interesting that you say “Not sure if you still have to physically check in” Last year I stayed at 2 Courtyards in the USA and used the online check in through the app requesting the mobile key. Both never sent me the mobile key and when at the front desk one want to swipe the credit card and the other wanted ID and to swipe the credit card. I declined to provide anything after which they both sent me the mobile key and the mobile keys did work. Not sure why the system doesn’t work better as Kacee mentions Hilton is light years ahead. At Hilton even before the mobile key when you check in online you show up give your name and they hand you the keys.
Good to know. The one time I used digital keys, I had already checked in and had physical keys. The problem was most of them didn't work (needed 3 of them to cover my family). After multiple failed attempts to issue more working physical keys, the property suggested using a digital key as a fallback. They said they were having trouble encoding physical keys due to issues with their room management software. After the front desk associate said the digital key was active, it actually took until the next morning before I could use it. I suspect another bug in their room management software and/or lack of proper staff training accounted for the delay. It was a relatively new property (less than a year old).

--Jon
Old Dec 10, 2020, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I've honestly never tried the digital key with Marriott, but I've seen the marketing for it numerous times.

I'm not a big online check-in fan for Marriott, it's hard to see what benefit this offers and definitely feels like a great way to guarantee that you'll not be getting an upgrade. In contrast I do like Hilton OLCI because they offer the ability to select your room. I also have used the digital key with Hilton too and it was fine, though feels a bit gimmicky to me. I can pull out a room key more easily than I can pull out my phone, unlock it, find the key in passbook, etc.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Hit (Fairfield) or Miss (Springhill)

On a recent road trip, checked in with the app and received mobile key at a newish Fairfield Inn in Gainesville FL. Worked flawlessly. No stop at the front desk necessary.

But at an older Springhill Suites in Knoxville TN, checked in with app; mobile key was not an option. Even in the days of Covid, and even after mobile check-in, the Springhill required in-person checkin with full presentation of ID to the clerk, before the clerk passed over the packet with room keys. I posted a review on the Marriott site of the Springhill and negatively mentioned the checkin experience. The GM emailed a reply that said, essentially, that someday maybe they would have mobile key if/when they upgraded their technology, but their policy for now was you had to come into the lobby and physically checkin at the front desk with presentation of ID, whether or not you used mobile checkin. The GM said this was the way it was, because that was their policy--period.

Guess which of the two properties we will not be going back to?

Last edited by ohmark; Dec 10, 2020 at 9:29 pm
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
No I am not jesting. I've never had true digital key availability at any Marriott property.

By contrast, it is ubiquitous with Hilton. I'm not a big Hilton fan, but this is one area where they are far ahead of all others. You can also select your room from the property map via their App. You can easily do an entire stay without ever having to interact in person with the front desk or any other staff.
what does true digital key availability mean? It’s either they have digital key or not. It may be that you need to stop by the desk to activate it (mostly at non-US hotels that I’ve been to). Almost all properties that I’ve been to have digital key if they use RFID keys to begin with.

true digital checkin, yes, Hilton is way ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.