Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Two Program Enhancements Announced 15 Jun : Pointsavers and Head Start on Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Program Enhancements Announced 15 Jun : Pointsavers and Head Start on Status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:56 am

It seems more "cosmetic" than anything......benefits are being scraped dry so getting this bonus really does not mean much unless MAR steps up it's game which it seems the opposite right now. Achieving or retaining status is just that - Gives you a level that you can say you have but doesn't really amount to much anymore?

As for the reward travel on off-peak redemptions - Cosmetic. How many people are travelling or booking vacations in the next month? I can only fly out to a few provinces right now let alone going to the U.S. or anywhere else! Well, I can but I have to self isolate for 14 days upon my return which is not going to happen.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bravada04
It seems more "cosmetic" than anything......benefits are being scraped dry so getting this bonus really does not mean much unless MAR steps up it's game which it seems the opposite right now. Achieving or retaining status is just that - Gives you a level that you can say you have but doesn't really amount to much anymore?

As for the reward travel on off-peak redemptions - Cosmetic. How many people are travelling or booking vacations in the next month? I can only fly out to a few provinces right now let alone going to the U.S. or anywhere else! Well, I can but I have to self isolate for 14 days upon my return which is not going to happen.
I think they are targeting domestic travel that doesn't involve flying. A lot of people will be doing road trips. If you reach 50 or 75 nights organically you will be able to select your 50N & 75N choice awards. The off-peak pricing and Head Start would encourage Elites to choose Marriott during their "close to home" vacation. Furthermore, it might make a higher Elite Status attainable rather than resting on their 2019 status through Feb 2022. Gold Elites attaining Platinum, for instance.

James
unclepants and lsquare like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 16, 2020 at 5:15 am
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
I feel like I got really lucky with this one. I reached Titanium in 2019 for the first time, and it's a level I would normally never attain if it weren't for a perfectly timed double nights promo. I was prepared for Titanium to be a one-time thing and this year to focus on getting platinum in order to get another qualifying year for LTP. And now with 38 nights, I'm almost there already. Best part is that Titanium will extend into next year, so I have no incentive now to stay more than the 50 nights for LTP qualification years. Lucky me, two years of Titanium, which I thought would always be out of my reach.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How many people are travelling or booking vacations in the next month?
Actually a fair number, with traveler numbers steadily increasing, but there are limited places to go, and very limited full service lodging options once you get there. So agreed, this is mostly a cosmetic benefit that few will be able to take advantage of.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Vacation planning for this Summer is very dynamic. We're looking to do a roadtrip to a beach or second choice for camping. I monitor the Covid-19 case rate trends in our potential vacation spots. We eliminated Myrtle Beach due to it being a hotspot for Covid-19 currently. Hilton Head isn't much better than Myrtle Beach so we also eliminated it.

Currently we are hoping the Outer Banks; Ocean City, MD; or Bethany Beach, DE continue to have falling or very low Covid-19 case rates and we will go to one of them in a few weeks. We are also only looking at Residence Inn / Townplace Suites properties that have full kitchens and a table for dining in the room (e.g. plan to cook in a lot augmented with some takeout). Bringing this back to the topic of the thread, I haven't seen any discount in the award rates for the beach properties themselves. At the same time, I haven't seen them on peak rates either. Availability is generally okay with a couple of problem days here and there. For short term planning, I say availability is probably slightly better than normal. I have seen good discounts on the transit hotels we will use enroute and for some properties near national parks. So netting it out, the award discount program will only minimally benefit me; however, I am happy with Marriott's intent. Hopefully it will be a trend towards a more balanced award program that is more customer (as in traveller) friendly going forward.

--Jon
unclepants and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
How many people are travelling or booking vacations in the next month? I can only fly out to a few provinces right now let alone going to the U.S. or anywhere else! Well, I can but I have to self isolate for 14 days upon my return which is not going to happen.
I'm looking at Niagara Falls (great cycling between it and Niagara on the Lake) and Muskoka/Collingwood for July.

(Mind you, Niagara Falls rates are so low, it wouldn't make sense to do a points booking.)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:24 am

These two changes mean I can book a somewhat nearby Cat 1 hotel for 16 nights for 65,000 pts and go from Gold to Platinum. But it seems that the consensus here is that Platinum isn't very useful. Is there a point in spending 65,000 pts to get Plat? I've just been using Hilton Diamond for breakfast/lounge access and Accor Gold when I'm hoping for an upgrade.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Schweden
These two changes mean I can book a somewhat nearby Cat 1 hotel for 16 nights for 65,000 pts and go from Gold to Platinum. But it seems that the consensus here is that Platinum isn't very useful. Is there a point in spending 65,000 pts to get Plat? I've just been using Hilton Diamond for breakfast/lounge access and Accor Gold when I'm hoping for an upgrade.
Probably not. Those points are probably worth at least $500-$600 depending on how you value them. If you need 13 gift EQNs plus 16 more on a mattress run to get to 50, that implies you're only staying at Marriotts ~21 nights (perhaps less if credit card nights). Hard to see how you'd get that much back in value from a few extra bonus points and lounge/breakfast.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:06 pm

Sadly, this offer wouldn't give any benefits for me except for annual gifts as status is extended until 2022.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by FQ415
Sadly, this offer wouldn't give any benefits for me except for annual gifts as status is extended until 2022.
hmmm... no benefit except for annual gift seems contradictory unless you are at 75 nights and a lifetime member already.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by myperks
hmmm... no benefit except for annual gift seems contradictory unless you are at 75 nights and a lifetime member already.
Has anyone confirmed whether Marriott will be awarding Elite Choices to those who don't reach 50 or 75 organically?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Has anyone confirmed whether Marriott will be awarding Elite Choices to those who don't reach 50 or 75 organically?

Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by myperks
In that case I'm all set for 2020 and well 2021.

SNAs and FNAs here I come...
ryw likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:59 pm

I'm gonna get 50 night elite choice from this, going to take SNAs!
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'm looking at Niagara Falls (great cycling between it and Niagara on the Lake) and Muskoka/Collingwood for July.

(Mind you, Niagara Falls rates are so low, it wouldn't make sense to do a points booking.)
Too funny! Believe it or not been to Toronto and the area too many times to mention - mostly for work and had numerous conferences in all the areas, BUT have never been to Niagara Falls - I usually do Vegas 3 times a year and a winter vacation. JUST got through the winter vacation and Vegas in April obviously cancelled - Vegas in September & November. September is a crapshoot so was seriously looking at Niagara Falls but cannot travel East right now and really want to plan something different. Was thinking about the Maritimes but again cannot go East. Looks like it is settling on good ole' Calgary to visit family and friends. Actually lived there for 16 years. Love the family and friends but it just seems blah for a week. I guess just not what I am used to.
BTW.....Niagara Falls hotel parking. $45.00 / night - WTH!
margarita girl and unclepants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.