Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Two Program Enhancements Announced 15 Jun : Pointsavers and Head Start on Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Program Enhancements Announced 15 Jun : Pointsavers and Head Start on Status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by metalblaze
This. It’s all about $ for Marriott.
Once you start thinking of it as a marketing program more than a loyalty program it starts to make sense.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
b) have and use their branded credit cards to earn nights by spending on the cards.
Which of the cards offer nights via cc spend? I didn't think any of the Marriott cards did that anymore.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by kantscholar
Which of the cards offer nights via cc spend? I didn't think any of the Marriott cards did that anymore.
Not aware of any Marriott cards that does that. Hyatt and Hilton does though.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I imagine this has been answered somewhere in the 25 pages of replies here, but I probably missed it:

What is the point of gifting these nights if status rolls over to next year and, presumably, you're going to start from 0 again?

So I'm a titanium elite and I have 61 nights this year after I was gifted those nights. Is the idea that this gifting might motivate me to get up to 100 this year? But then I'd still need to complete the spend requirements. Or is this a motivation for folks below titanium to try to get up to that level? They're not rolling over these nights so it's not as if I have a head start on next year. Am I missing something? Thanks to the first person who answers this and sets me straight.
Helping those silver, gold, and platinum member to reach next tier easier.
As for titanium, it will be quite a challenge as the $20k spends for ambassador stays in place.
For ambassadors, help them achieve 50 and 75 night annual choice easier.
(and of course lifetime night count for all)

By the way, rolling over BiB nights from 2020 to 2021 will attract some much needed stays to Marriott.
I have both Bonvoy and Accor ALL.
Currently I move most of my stays to ALL as they going to roll over stays and spend earned after July 2020 for 2021 qualification,
Obviously I still stay at Marriott if there are no comparable Accor hotel around.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Helping those silver, gold, and platinum member to reach next tier easier.
As for titanium, it will be quite a challenge as the $20k spends for ambassador stays in place.
For ambassadors, help them achieve 50 and 75 night annual choice easier.
(and of course lifetime night count for all)

By the way, rolling over BiB nights from 2020 to 2021 will attract some much needed stays to Marriott.
I have both Bonvoy and Accor ALL.
Currently I move most of my stays to ALL as they going to roll over stays and spend earned after July 2020 for 2021 qualification,
Obviously I still stay at Marriott if there are no comparable Accor hotel around.
I had no idea Accor is doing that. Oh wow. I really do hope Marriott is reading this and implement it for this year.

As for Ambassador, I really think Marriott should beef it up. I expect more than just a concierge after spending $20k with them.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Sorry - you are correct. The currently offered Marriott-branded CCs do not.

David
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Only Marriott Rewards Chase Visa Cards issued before July 2018. They get one Elite Night per $3,000 spend. But the annual free night certificate is only good up 25K points.

This is similar to the old UA MileagePlus Chase Visa Card that offers benefits no longer extended to new applicants.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I would like another benefit to be issued... "Same again please!" promo whereby if you had made points reservations at hotels that were moving UP a category but were forced to cancel due to the pandemic, they should be honoured once again at the previous OLD rate for a full year.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
I would like another benefit to be issued... "Same again please!" promo whereby if you had made points reservations at hotels that were moving UP a category but were forced to cancel due to the pandemic, they should be honoured once again at the previous OLD rate for a full year.
At this point, the only way that is going to happen is if come March 2021, all hotels go back to 2019 categories during “normal” category change. Realistically Marriott will probably just say no changes in 2021 as a benefit because of the pandemic. But in reality we will probably see 70/30 increase and decrease come March 2021.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks
At this point, the only way that is going to happen is if come March 2021, all hotels go back to 2019 categories during “normal” category change. Realistically Marriott will probably just say no changes in 2021 as a benefit because of the pandemic. But in reality we will probably see 70/30 increase and decrease come March 2021.
I would be really happy if they go back to 2019 levels. There are a few hotels that I go to that went from Cat 5 to 6.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i can't understand why they can't eliminate peak pricing for the remainder of the year....this is going to be a very slow travel year....

i had a bunch of stays booked in dc & nyc next month....the reservations were made before the pandemic hit but rates dropped significantly after that....the hotel in nyc where i was paying over $350 a night is now available for $97 a night....the hotel in dc is 50% less than what i had originally booked....so i re-booked at the lower rates but while making the reservations i noticed that most of the nights were available for peak reward pricing if i were to use points....i just don't see the sense in that....
dayone, margarita girl and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
My guess would be that the hotels need cash and $97 is probably more than what they would get from MAR for a point booking or maybe peak pricing gives more than $97 even.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by X-ON
My guess would be that the hotels need cash and $97 is probably more than what they would get from MAR for a point booking or maybe peak pricing gives more than $97 even.
Based on my very primitive understanding, I think peak pricing gives then more than $97.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
i can't understand why they can't eliminate peak pricing for the remainder of the year....this is going to be a very slow travel year....

i had a bunch of stays booked in dc & nyc next month....the reservations were made before the pandemic hit but rates dropped significantly after that....the hotel in nyc where i was paying over $350 a night is now available for $97 a night....the hotel in dc is 50% less than what i had originally booked....so i re-booked at the lower rates but while making the reservations i noticed that most of the nights were available for peak reward pricing if i were to use points....i just don't see the sense in that....
It's ridiculous. So far for all of my pandemic stays, I just used cash. Reward redemption is giving me very poor value right now.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by X-ON
i would think that bringing the redemption rates down to off-peak pricing would get them to fill a few extra rooms that would have otherwise gone empty....

either way, i would just book revenue stays for the moment, given that cash rates are fairly low right now....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.