Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] COVID-19 Cleaning Fee Approved

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold

Breaking news from my inbox this Sunday...Marriott has approved my (and other owner’s) request to add cleaning fees. All 52 of my full service brands will be adding a $4.19 per night plus tax fee for COVID related cleaning costs. This will be capped at $41.90 per stay in my case. Look for the official announcement this week from Marriott.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Breaking news from my inbox this Sunday...Marriott has approved my (and other owner’s) request to add cleaning fees. All 52 of my full service brands will be adding a $4.19 per night plus tax fee for COVID related cleaning costs. This will be capped at $41.90 per stay in my case. Look for the official announcement this week from Marriott.
sad.

grab(money)

Then return to full elite benefits and services. Tired of owners "reduce services due to Covid" but not offering anything to those who are actually traveling and spending money.

David
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Can I opt out and just have my room cleaned normally?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by cmd320
Seriously. Not only that, I've had a bunch of stays since this mess all started and have had no housekeeping at all during that time.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My expectation is that hotels will try to add the (maximum of course) fee to previously confirmed reservations, of course without notice either.
Tanic and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Considering many hotels don't offer any regular, daily housekeeping at all and at the same time cutting back on elite benefits I don't see why there should be extra charges.

As long as this money grabbing continues I'm not using full service brand properties anymore that carry these fees. Status is extended until 2022 so just go best price for now, very little to no benefit staying at branded hotels.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
Nope. Just like you can’t opt out of resort fees. But you are more than welcome to decline daily housekeeping in exchange for Make A Green Choice benefits.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My expectation is that hotels will try to add the (maximum of course) fee to previously confirmed reservations, of course without notice either.
I do believe that your confirmations say taxes and fees may be subject to change at any time. Already ran this past legal.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I do believe that your confirmations say taxes and fees may be subject to change at any time. Already ran this past legal.
Ah, such a good way to recover your customers. If you can’t bake your costs into your daily rate, time to rebrand as a Best Western or Value Inn.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, with this fee instituted, the question is: What type of cleaning were Marriott hotels doing before?

If I pay this fee _per day_, do I get a certificate that I can show to my company that they actually got some value (even a PDF or paper) for $4.19 (plus tax)?

David
D582 and TravelGirl322 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
If you get infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus at a Marriott branded property will the "cleaning fee" be refunded?
dw, dgreen12, cawhite and 20 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:07 pm

Could the OP be a troll? I am astonished that a person who claims to own 52 full service properties, would be gloating over his ability to unjustly enrich himself, by squeezing another $4.19 per night. I don't believe that a "hotel magnet" like this guy claims to be, would act with such arrogance.
Tanic, bocastephen, jalves and 7 others like this.

Last edited by SCEflyer; Jun 7, 2020 at 2:17 pm Reason: Added word
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Could the OP be a troll? I am astonished that a person who claims to own 52 full service properties, would be gloating over his ability to unjustly enrich himself, by squeezing another $4.19 per night. I don't believe that a "hotel magnet" like this guy would act in such a fashion.
No, OP is someone who works in the hotel industry (not sure if an owner or not) and has been straight up with FT as to how hotels, some in the Marriott chains, operate.

Also, to that end, hotelboy , many thanks for giving us the heads up.

David
SPN Lifer, eyeball1 and ryw like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Is that going to be on top of the "resort fee" that adds nothing to benefits already achieved by attaining elite status other than higher cost?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DELee
So, with this fee instituted, the question is: What type of cleaning were Marriott hotels doing before?

If I pay this fee _per day_, do I get a certificate that I can show to my company that they actually got some value (even a PDF or paper) for $4.19 (plus tax)?

David
Yes, what kind of cleaning service are we getting for this? If I’m paying a fee per night then I would expect a full and daily deep cleaning of my room. Otherwise this essentially becomes a services not rendered discussion.

Originally Posted by Tanic
If you get infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus at a Marriott branded property will the "cleaning fee" be refunded?
I wonder if this could lead to a lawsuit. If they are itemising this, they are creating an explicit expectation of cleanliness and sanitisation.
360guy, MSPeconomist and Thysk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.