Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] COVID-19 Cleaning Fee Approved

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[RUMOR] COVID-19 Cleaning Fee Approved

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A terrible company with even worse hotel owners
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:00 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Is this fee supposed to be system-wide (ie: based on brands) or at the discretion of property owners? As long as it's disclosed upfront at the time of reservation, I will just book else where.

LAX
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well if this is true, then it is another junk fee just like the many hotels that charge resort fees or destination fees so they can jack up rates without giving points for it.

I would ask the hotel specifically what benefit they are providing for this fee above and beyond what I expect for standard/routine housekeeping and hotel cleaning services.

This also is just horrible optics and extremely customer unfriendly for hotels to tack on extra fees to charge guests for covid cleaning fee. Guess what, this is the cost of doing business. What were they doing before, barely cleaning anything?
SPN Lifer, MSPeconomist and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:17 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I would suggest that we all complain to Marriott corporate. Keep calling them. We won't stop calling until the hotel or Marriott refund this fee, or give us Marriott points as consideration.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
This new policy, to the extent not disclosed prior to making the reservation, should result in an upsurge of partial chargebacks.
MSPeconomist, cmd320 and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotelboy
Breaking news from my inbox this Sunday...Marriott has approved my (and other owner’s) request to add cleaning fees. All 52 of my full service brands will be adding a $4.19 per night plus tax fee for COVID related cleaning costs. This will be capped at $41.90 per stay in my case. Look for the official announcement this week from Marriott.
Will the people that clean the rooms be getting the full $4.19?
If roomed are not serviced every day how can a per night fee be justified?
Dr_wanderlust and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Can’t charge you the fee if you don’t stay at the property. Vote with your wallet.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
This new policy, to the extent not disclosed prior to making the reservation, should result in an upsurge of partial chargebacks.
What do you do if you booked with points? HUCA to get all points (50,000 or 80,000) back because this new $4.19 fee?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy
Nope. Just like you can’t opt out of resort fees. But you are more than welcome to decline daily housekeeping in exchange for Make A Green Choice benefits.
Then I'll just opt out of staying at your hotels.
You're welcome.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by just_jim
Then I'll just opt out of staying at your hotels.
You're welcome.
This is exactly what I’ve done with ‘resort’ properties. No benefits, often worse rooms and public spaces, no thank you.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another scam fee, especially since a lot of hotels are not providing service during stays, except for long stays or for specific requests.

I already wrote my representatives in Congress in support of killing resort fees. May be time to start filing FTC and state AG complaints, especially for the deceptive practice of adding new fees after a reservation has been confirmed, or charging a mandatory daily fee for a service not offered daily.

ACTION ? Kill Resort Fees

I'm all for business owners' ability to charge any and all fees that they want. But hotels should be required to quote all-in prices upfront. They can they break down the total price into as many categories as they want - resort fees, cleaning fees, COVID fees, electricity fees. carpet fees, and so on.

We got airlines to stop pulling this BS where hundreds or thousands of dollars in fees and surcharges were not disclosed until the last step in the booking process; with hotels it's even more egregious because the scammers don't disclose many of these fees until you're already at the hotel.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Can’t charge you the fee if you don’t stay at the property. Vote with your wallet.
Well, we have endured several rounds of annual category changes. Not sure if the $4.19 fee can drive folks away.

Also, some Marriott "elite" never opens wallets at Marriott (points only).
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RedSun
Well, we have endured several rounds of annual category changes. Not sure if the $4.19 fee can drive folks away.

Also, some Marriott "elite" never opens wallets at Marriott (points only).
......and every top tier Bonvoy elite (Ambassador) spends at least $20,000 per year (not including any purchases of points, which I suspect very few Ambassadors do).
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
......and every top tier Bonvoy elite (Ambassador) spends at least $20,000 per year (not including any purchases of points, which I suspect very few Ambassadors do).
Ambassador is not the only "elite". There are also Titanium and Platinum.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RedSun
Ambassador is not the only "elite". There are also Titanium and Platinum.
There are also Gold and even Silver elites, but I said "top tier."
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.