Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2021, 10:49 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lamphs
IIRC, Courtyard has never (recent years) offered a free breakfast to statusers...
I thought it was the other way around. Historically (i.e. not recent years) CY didn't offer free breakfast to elites. But when Marriott combined with SPG and rolled out Bonvoy, they changed the rules and started offering breakfast (i.e. $10 daily to Plats and above at CYs plus another $10 for a guest if there is one staying in the room).

Now way in the distant past (i.e. 80s and 90s), back before Marriott combined all their different frequent stay programs for different brands, there was the CY Club. Back then, they still didn't offer free breakfast all the time to their CY Club members (or their top level CY Club Gold), but they would hand out a bunch of free breakfast vouchers for every 12 nights stayed at a CY. But after Marriott combined all their programs into the single Marriott Rewards program in the late 90s, they dropped that. No more free breakfast for their elites. The exception was at their non-NA CYs that had lounges. At those Golds/Plats (this is prior to Bonvoy) would get lounge access and breakfast through that.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Slightly OT, I wonder how much the Marriott model has changed over the years? Might be an interesting MBA case study?

In the early 1980s, I was in a Junior Achievement activity sponsored by the Marriott HQ in Bethesda, MD for a year. I vividly recall a HQ tour that included walking through an entire floor and 1/2 of the 7 floor HQ building that was of architects and engineers designing properties. In addition, the basement included development kitchens for the various restaurant brands owned by Marriott and mock-up hotel rooms. The tour culminated with a visit to JW Sr's office (it had a fire place), but he was not present. We did meet JW Jr, however. My point being were there more corporate-owned and/or managed properties 40 years ago vs. 'franchises'?

There must be some behind the scenes standardization. I know of at least four (4) people retired from my public safety agency that have gone on to (current) careers inspecting Marriott-branded properties to identify life safety issues both domestically and internationally. Pre-COVID these people were on the road full-time. Maybe this standardization does not affect the benefits of statusers, but there seems to be some standardization.
[Meta-comment: This is actually on topic since the thread is about brand standards (see title)]

But then, as an example, why aren't the Marriott properties in not only the Bethesda area but across the larger DC/MD/NVA region not more consistent and adhering to brand standards - either pre-COVID or even now given the access folks from headquarters have to each and everyone of these properties?

I and others could ask why aren't some of these DC region hotels exemplars for the whole chain?

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Slightly OT, I wonder how much the Marriott model has changed over the years? Might be an interesting MBA case study?

In the early 1980s, I was in a Junior Achievement activity sponsored by the Marriott HQ in Bethesda, MD for a year. I vividly recall a HQ tour that included walking through an entire floor and 1/2 of the 7 floor HQ building that was of architects and engineers designing properties. In addition, the basement included development kitchens for the various restaurant brands owned by Marriott and mock-up hotel rooms. The tour culminated with a visit to JW Sr's office (it had a fire place), but he was not present. We did meet JW Jr, however. My point being were there more corporate-owned and/or managed properties 40 years ago vs. 'franchises'?

There must be some behind the scenes standardization. I know of at least four (4) people retired from my public safety agency that have gone on to (current) careers inspecting Marriott-branded properties to identify life safety issues both domestically and internationally. Pre-COVID these people were on the road full-time. Maybe this standardization does not affect the benefits of statusers, but there seems to be some standardization.
There is definitely standardization on paper - we looked at doing a SPG budget property years ago, but abandoned the idea when the merger was afoot. Having reviewed all of the documents, there is certain clarity across everything from decor to uniforms to systems, to housekeeping standards, etc etc. That's why the issue is really management vs standardization framework. The analogy here would be McDonalds rolls out a promotion that offers free small fries with the purchase of a Big Mac. Most locations offer the promotion, yet some start giving away a medium fries with the purchase to frequent customers they know, while some other locations don't give out the fries at all and just say they don't know anything about the promotion or are ignoring it. McDonalds responds by telling the medium fries locations to knock it off and give everyone a small fries, yet doesn't force the no fries locations to start participating properly per the terms and conditions of their franchise agreement.

This isn't an 'agreement' problem, it's a management problem.
SPN Lifer and Pocatello like this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
By “global” I meant that Marriott likely won’t re-establish brand standards from the top down on a global basis. Hotels will be able to provide benefits / brand standards based on local market conditions if they need/want to

Marriott could restore benefits now, but many hotel owners would claim they can’t afford to provide them, and they would be right depending on the market. Hilton and Hyatt have similar relaxations in place. These companies will all restore benefits/brand standards when hotels can broadly pay them out of cash flow. Remember Marriott does not pay the cost for brand standards / amenities / elite benefits
They "can't afford" to provide elite benefits, but they can afford to lose their Ambassador customers who literally had to have spent $20k at the brand last year during the pandemic. In what world does that make any sense? It's just an excuse for nickel and diming and they're going to lose more than the $5 in benefits it costs them when people book at a Hilton or Hyatt instead (which, with exceptions, seem willing to provide breakfast). These benefits are not a nice thing Marriott does for charity, they're revenue-driving business expenses. With Marriott's business hurting right now, they need to cater to customers more, not less if they want to stay afloat.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:14 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
It's finally over :)

They never announced it when it started, but they announced that it's over ;-)

Marriott Ends Elite Benefit Guarantee Suspension
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:14 pm

According to OMAAT, suspension of benefits have been lifted As of Jan 11, 2021... probably take another month for the US properties figure out what’s going on...
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
From the https://www.facebook.com/groups/marriottbonvoyinsiders group.

Good afternoon Insiders!
In the spirit of sharing breaking program news here first, we’re excited to share another update with you today regarding our Elite Benefit Guarantees.
We are reinstating the elite guarantee compensation which had been temporarily suspended due to COVID-19. Please note that based on day-to-day business conditions at individual hotels and/or government regulations, properties may offer a breakfast alternative when lounges and restaurants are closed such as grab and go or credit for food and beverage purchases on property. As always, the Lounge and Welcome Gift elite benefit depends on brand and geographic regions.
This change takes effect today, January 11, 2021.
SPN Lifer and Drwaz99 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Great. Now Marriott will have to prove to me that a stale bagel & orange juice from concentrate doesn't count as breakfast. Marriott will have to prove to me that it will actually enforce its regulations on properties that run off the reservation.

Marriott has lost any goodwill it had with me. Problem is I still had more butt in bed nights in Marriott last yr over Hyatt because the reach is so much better.

A good olive branch would be Arne getting 0 in salary and bonus in 2021 until every Marriott Associate has full compensation returned.
​​
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Great. Now Marriott will have to prove to me that a stale bagel & orange juice from concentrate doesn't count as breakfast. Marriott will have to prove to me that it will actually enforce its regulations on properties that run off the reservation.

Marriott has lost any goodwill it had with me. ​​
You've been Bonv°yed!

As for me, this cessation of the suspension of Platinum and Titanium Elite benefits, plus the announcement of the 2021 status qualification program (another Head Start to Status) is the best news I've received this year.

Beaucoup Bonv°y!
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Thumbs up Marriott Reinstates Elite Benefits - TPG

I was reading TPG earlier this morning and noticed that according to them Marriott has reinstated the Elite Guarantee for Elite Benefits.

This is a welcome change as a lot of properties were not in compliance last year and required the intervention of Corporate Customer Care on simple things that aren't covered by the Elite Benefit Guarantee but a basic expectation of what should come with a room regardless of the pandemic i.e. a functional a/c, room type paid for, or being walked and charged a higher rate for the pleasure.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...lite-benefits/
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
This is definitely a step in the right direction (if true) but it never should have been allowed to go there in the first place. This is my biggest complaint about Marriott and why I am less than enthusiastic about them.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: Yes
Is there an actual source for this article?

Marriott didn’t even publicly inform its members that they suspended benefits, and as far as I can tell there is no source from the TPG article that benefits are restored.

I may have missed it, but this seems like another tone deaf effort by Marriott.

If you’re going to adjust the BonVoy program make a formal announcement.. -_-
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by anteater
Is there an actual source for this article?

Marriott didn’t even publicly inform its members that they suspended benefits, and as far as I can tell there is no source from the TPG article that benefits are restored.

I may have missed it, but this seems like another tone deaf effort by Marriott.

If you’re going to adjust the BonVoy program make a formal announcement.. -_-
Posted yesterday in Suspension of Benefits thread. There’s a link to Marriott Insiders.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...2021-a-77.html
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Posted yesterday in Suspension of Benefits thread. There’s a link to Marriott Insiders.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...2021-a-77.html
Thanks!

So, correct me if I’m wrong.. Marriott only made the announcement in their insiders FB group and didn’t email everyone or publish a statement on the Marriott website, correct?

If that’s correct, I would still posit that Marriott handled the suspension and resumption extremely poorly.
dcstudent and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by anteater
Thanks!

So, correct me if I’m wrong.. Marriott only made the announcement in their insiders FB group and didn’t email everyone or publish a statement on the Marriott website, correct?

If that’s correct, I would still posit that Marriott handled the suspension and resumption extremely poorly.
I would 100% agree with that!
Kacee and anteater like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.