Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PointWeasel

So now Welcome Amenity points are not supposed to be posted with stays?

Am I missing something?
I suspect it is case by case by property with brand standards suspended until the end of year. Although I was offered welcome points at SFO Aloft upon checkin on Nov 1, took the $15 grab and go credit instead.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 4:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pocatello
There are consequences for Marriott from their actions in these pandemic times. I have lifetime Platinum.

My response?

By the middle of this month I will have 18 nights at Hyatt... which I just started with in October last month. By the end of December I will have 30 nights at Hyatt. My goal is Hyatt Globalist status by the middle of 2021. I have never considered staying at Hyatt until a few months ago. I will keep staying at Hyatt in the years to come as I gain their highest status and I enjoy the benefits of Hyatt's Globalist status.
I will say I noticed just as much of the same nickel and diming at Marriott at Hyatts this year. Removal of breakfasts at Hyatt Places and blaming it on COVID, complete lack of amenities at the HR Atlanta. So prepare for disappointment.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Delete.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I suspect it is case by case by property with brand standards suspended until the end of year. Although I was offered welcome points at SFO Aloft upon checkin on Nov 1, took the $15 grab and go credit instead.
Just checked-in at a Sheraton and everything is the same as pre-Covid, other than breakfast in the restaurant instead the Club Lounge.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Just checked-in at a Sheraton and everything is the same as pre-Covid, other than breakfast in the restaurant instead the Club Lounge.
That's why I have several more Sheraton stays coming up. Everything was almost the same as pre-covid standards.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
That's why I have several more Sheraton stays coming up. Everything was almost the same as pre-covid standards.
Sheraton brand is going strong in Europe too. I’ve stayed at the Sheraton in Edinburgh, Sheraton Grand Park Lane in London, and Sheraton Adeje in Tenerife. All have had decent breakfast options and honoured late check out. As a Plat, I have been upgraded to excellent suites in London and Tenerife. Lounges have been closed or pared back, but they have provided somewhere to get drinks/snacks or offered discounts on food and beverage.
360guy and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been treated well at a couple Sheraton's where I'm a repeat (many times) guest.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think the dumping of benefits has more to do with property ownership and management (as well as location) than with brand.

And the reason I find this all particularly irking from Marriott is that it's part of a larger ongoing program devaluation and management's ongoing attitude of arrogance. To them, this is still all just "noise around the edges."
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:16 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by CIT85
Official suspension of elite benefits by Marriott individual properties the license to deny benefits to elites. If restaurant is closed, then there is some justification, but when the restaurant is open, then it's all about cost cutting when denying breakfast to Plat+.members.
Hyatt has worked to maintain benefits while Marriott official suspension of elite benefits has given individual hotels license to deny benefits to elites. That's why I have stayed away from full service Marriott hotels in my recent travels.
A license to deny benefits: exactly. Some hotels elect not use such license and continue to provide benefits because they think it's in their best interest to keep customers happy, in fact many hotels offer a breakfast even better than in the buffet days: a nice a la carte menu. And other hotels think it's in their best interest to cut benefits so they use the "license" afforded to them by Marriott. Even closing a restaurant is not an excuse I am easily willing to provide. If many hotels in one city have kept their restaurant open, then when the one next door closes it and denies breakfast, while I understand the decision I cannot give them good marks.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I don’t think you can make a blanket statement like that. I’ve stayed at 4 Marriott properties since the pandemic began and I’ve had excellent breakfasts at all of them. I’ve posted pics in this thread as have many others. I call to verify what they are offering before I make my reservations. I’ll be staying at 2 more hotels next week and they are both offering breakfast (one of them in the form of a $75 hotel credit/day).
I would say there is now a greater range between generous and stingy than in the past. You have simply not been in the stingy hotels yet, luckily for you

Originally Posted by Kacee
All in Canada?

Here in the US, my Marriott experiences have mostly been poor. It seems properties in other countries are less likely to use COVID as an excuse to dodge benefits.
Originally Posted by CIT85
That's the difference, US vs other countries. If we cannot travel outside of the US, our hotel options are limited and Marriott is making it easy for hotels to deny benefits. I'll bet Asian hotels are excellent as well. My blanket statement refers to hotels in the US.
Perhaps Canada is not as bad as US, but it does not avoid the trend completely based on what I observed. Delta Vancouver offers nothing at all for breakfast because their restaurant is closed, while 10 other hotels I have been in British Columbia all offer breakfast, some of them excellent, in and outside of Marriott group. Hyatt Regency Vancouver which also closed its restaurant, but at least they gave a breakfast bag for takeaway. And some hotels have closed the restaurant but not the kitchen so they bring hot breakfast to the room. It's clear to me that the move Marriott corporate made to suspend benefits is the reason Delta cut everything out, while other hotels have not.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by escape4
I would say there is now a greater range between generous and stingy than in the past. You have simply not been in the stingy hotels yet, luckily for you

Delta Vancouver offers nothing at all for breakfast because their restaurant is closed...
The Delta Vancouver Suites has great suites (and views), but the service levels on the front desk and management are subpar to say the least.

Vote with your feet and stay elsewhere, that is what I have been doing.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 7:15 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Upcoming 6 night stay at a Courtyard, called them to see what they are currently doing:

No housekeeping (ok)
Gym/pool open by reservation (ok)
No b'fast for Plats (not ok)
No bottled water (really not ok)
Extra fridge for our room (ok)

Not pleased with having to find b'fast elsewhere and to have to buy water (it is in an area where the tap water isn't great), especially the bottled water part as I cannot conceive of a reason other than cheapness not to give folks a bottle of water.. Property is close to where we need to be, the price is right, and buying b'fast and water still makes it the right choice for us, but I can easily see others choosing to stay elsewhere
escape4 and Global Adventurer like this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by escape4
A license to deny benefits: exactly. Some hotels elect not use such license and continue to provide benefits because they think it's in their best interest to keep customers happy, in fact many hotels offer a breakfast even better than in the buffet days: a nice a la carte menu. And other hotels think it's in their best interest to cut benefits so they use the "license" afforded to them by Marriott. Even closing a restaurant is not an excuse I am easily willing to provide. If many hotels in one city have kept their restaurant open, then when the one next door closes it and denies breakfast, while I understand the decision I cannot give them good marks.

Its very understandable that hotels need to save cost as much as possible to survive, however too extreme cost cutting measure that reduce customer experience too much is better avoided.
Sometimes cost cutting can translate to better service, for example buffet breakfast to a la carte options.

If customer unhappy with the service compare to other hotels in the area, its very likely that they will move their future booking to the competitor (even if they belong to the same chain)

I guess now is the time for customers to pick n choose which hotels they can continue to stay when pandemic over.
Those hotel who making excuses to cutting services can be avoided, while those who manage to keep the service level constant deserve future booking.
MSPeconomist, volabam and escape4 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:21 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by kaizen7
If customer unhappy with the service compare to other hotels in the area, its very likely that they will move their future booking to the competitor (even if they belong to the same chain)

I guess now is the time for customers to pick n choose which hotels they can continue to stay when pandemic over.
Those hotel who making excuses to cutting services can be avoided, while those who manage to keep the service level constant deserve future booking.
This is the key issue where I have read different options between various people. My opinion seems to align with yours: if a hotel cuts too much during covid, I am unlikely to return there any time soon in the future, even after everything is back to normal and when their cost cuts have been removed. Other people are apologists and will excuse just about anything hotels do at the moment, just because it's covid and it's an unusual situation. And they insist that what hotels do in the short-term will not affect their future stay decisions and they will not avoid such properties.

If there is a hotel market with lots of options, personally I will stick with those who treated me well during covid and I will be willing to pay a moderate premium to continue staying there once the situation has normalized. It will take a reasonable amount of nudging and promos to bring me back to those properties who cut to the bone in unreasonable ways, such as "no bottled water" to quote an example from Out of my Element .
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Upcoming 6 night stay at a Courtyard, called them to see what they are currently doing:

No housekeeping (ok)
Gym/pool open by reservation (ok)
No b'fast for Plats (not ok)
No bottled water (really not ok)
Extra fridge for our room (ok)

Not pleased with having to find b'fast elsewhere and to have to buy water (it is in an area where the tap water isn't great), especially the bottled water part as I cannot conceive of a reason other than cheapness not to give folks a bottle of water.. Property is close to where we need to be, the price is right, and buying b'fast and water still makes it the right choice for us, but I can easily see others choosing to stay elsewhere
I would have asked them what bottled water had to do with coronavirus.

I just did 3 more nights at Holiday Inn Express - no bottled water, but a hot breakfast sandwich with yogurt, fruit and oatmeal, and a room that is certainly on par with any Courtyard. The sandwich was from Sysco, probably $1.65 landed/delivered cost, the little tubs of yogurt are maybe $0.50 each, some bananas and a big tub of raw oatmeal (cook in the room's microwave) to take from. Probably somewhere around $3 per guest total. Not exactly make or break costs for a hotel.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've found that courtyards are among the worst currently for offering nothing... the bistros are shuttered (since there aren't business travelers to take advantage of overcharging for food) so there is nothing available on site other than the junkfood selection in the lobby shop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.