Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott - Greed, greed, greed [no-show fee imposed after cancellation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott - Greed, greed, greed [no-show fee imposed after cancellation]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
If nothing else, the OP reminds us read terms carefully.....and entirely. Like where they stick on the parking fee as a P.S. at a property you would reasonably expect no added charge for parking. The overall premise of Marriott greed is easy to challenge.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by hedoman; Mar 15, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Presuming You Have Not Completely Left the Building. . .

Why does a hotel have a 30-day cancellation policy in peak season where rooms are booked out months in advance? Cancellations are a benefit to Hotels that are sold out who can now charge more for a last-minute guest. Where is your integrity and morality Marriott? I stick by my original statement, greed!

Signing off from flyertalk as this forum is only about damage control for industry and it’s representatives.
FlyerTalk is very helpful in a tough love sort of way. But it is seldom kind and never sympathetic if you avoid full detail. Failure to disclose relevant details, in hopes of generating an amen chorus, will not work. As you see the board will pick your story apart if you omit facts not favorable to yourself. Not that I disagree with you at all that 30 days cancellation window is quite extreme, but you are missing the learning experience here. The hotel industry is riding high and it is a sellers market. (Or it was till this virus thing. That may pop the bubble for awhile). Most of us have had a similar unhappy experience if possibly for less money, but we've been at if for 20 years, and have seen a more guest-friendly bottom of the cycle also.

What you are missing is that Marriott is primarily a marketing and management organization that owns few (any?) hotels of it's own. For a fee they provide marketing and management services and insure some degree of conformity. Much like any other hotel "chain" you might run to. Meaning chain is a misnomer and it is more like a voluntary association. At some level individual ownership sets the tone for it's hotel(s). From what little research I did, this one appears to be not owned directly by Marriott, although it gets a little cloudy and maybe perhaps some Starwood money could be invested.

Actual ownership groups often to usually have more than one hotel and quite probably fly different management flags at other locations. On your next stay down the road you could run across the street to a different flag just because it is not Marriott, and hand money to the same ultimate ownership group. Or stay in a rotten hotel just because the only alternative is a Marriott.

I'm pretty sure I would find their senior management upsetting on a personal basis, just because in general senior management anywhere these days is from another planet and way overpaid. All things being equal Marriott is far from my first choice. But things are not always equal. Somehow via the merger I have ended up with lifetime status anyway. (Still can't do the math but I'll keep it). From your self-description you sound like you can qualify for lifetime status quickly--somewhere. You have to pick a horse and ride it. Maybe you will not choose Marriott. Maybe you will. (I found out it is easier than my preferred brand completely by accident). But make a logical decision and don't file for divorce halfway there. There will always be bad locations and bad stays.

Last edited by jayer; Mar 15, 2020 at 6:10 pm
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Pigs are flying - I actually agree w Hotelboy for once. OMG 😬
My thoughts exactly! Didn't see that day coming for me either.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Wow. Just wow.

I have sided with Marriott on this one. Oh wait a second, I just realized that I am Arne Sorenson in disguise (Saying this while taking the mask off and ending with an evil laugh).
It's like Scooby Doo.

But seriously, the OP is acting like Snowmass is the kind of place that people just show up on a whim - I don't know anyone who really does that.

It's like the Maldives. It's a PITA to get there, so it's no surprise that they have stronger cancellation penalties vs CUN, where a day of flight from basically anywhere in the US is available.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a business transaction.

Bottom line for the broader audience is that more and more properties, not just this particular property and not just Marriott, are imposing lengthy cancellation policies. People have the option of not booking into such properties. OP certainly did.

The lesson here is simple. Read the terms and make your decision accordingly. Debating the merits of the policy is pointless.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Something makes me think that the OP didn't join the "new organization" voluntarily.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Alternative title: Marriott applies cancellation policy as set in email confirmation even though I think I’m special.
TerryK, Jon Maiman and Newman like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Aberlet
In early December 2019, I booked a 3-night stay at the Westin Snowmass to attend a corporate function the second week of January 2020. I joined a new organization mid-December and therefore cancelled my reservation two weeks prior to my first night’s stay, so I was surprised when I received my credit card statement that I stated a “no show” for the reservation and that I had been charged over $1000 for the entire 3 night stay. So, I telephoned the Westin Snowmass to tell them they had made an error. The representative at the Westin Snowmass confirmed that I had cancelled the reservation 2 weeks prior to my first night’s stay, but that the Hotel policy stated “no penalty” applied only if the guest cancels 30 days in advance instead of the customary 2-3 days. I then asked why I was charged for the full three nights when “no show’s” as they had me listed only get charged for the first night. Again, I was told, this was the Hotel’s policy. At this point I am outraged, and told the representative the injustice I was feeling as a Titanium Platinum Marriott member, as this was peak ski season and I suspect they had no trouble re-selling my room, given I had cancelled two weeks prior and that they were collecting twice for the same room. The representative had no compassion. I have since sent an email to customer service with the same response, “Hotel policy”. As I left my previous organization the burden of this cost has fallen on me personally. I am so outrage at the Marriott greed! In February I was about to sign a contract with another Marriott property for a 40 person 3-day meeting which fell through only because of the Coronavirus outbreak, but in hindsight I’m glad it did as I do not ever want to give Marriott any more business that is in my control. I will certainly tell my story to the executives at my organization and ask that we consider another hotel chain for our business. I am truning to every possible social network outliet to warn travelers of the Marriott greed!
Over $1,000 is quite a hit. Given that this was a corporate function, I'm guessing that OP was not observant of any cancellation policies and understandably, 30 days is a little out of the norm. Given the timeline of booking in early December, OP had a small window for cancellation. OP likely could have met the deadline given that he started a new position in mid-December and there was probably a work notice period but he delayed, probably not concerned knowing of the typical cancellation protocol and also with other things he had going on at the time.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Given that OP has already deleted their account this thread can probably be closed.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Given that OP has already deleted their account this thread can probably be closed.
Aberlet

Nearly 18 years here, I don't think I've ever seen this.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Smiley90
But the humour value is priceless! We all need a laugh during the Global Insanity (tm).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.