Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott - Greed, greed, greed [no-show fee imposed after cancellation]

Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:07 am
Aberlet

In early December 2019, I booked a 3-night stay at the Westin Snowmass to attend a corporate function the second week of January 2020. I joined a new organization mid-December and therefore cancelled my reservation two weeks prior to my first nights stay, so I was surprised when I received my credit card statement that I stated a no show for the reservation and that I had been charged over $1000 for the entire 3 night stay. So, I telephoned the Westin Snowmass to tell them they had made an error. The representative at the Westin Snowmass confirmed that I had cancelled the reservation 2 weeks prior to my first nights stay, but that the Hotel policy stated no penalty applied only if the guest cancels 30 days in advance instead of the customary 2-3 days. I then asked why I was charged for the full three nights when no shows as they had me listed only get charged for the first night. Again, I was told, this was the Hotels policy. At this point I am outraged, and told the representative the injustice I was feeling as a Titanium Platinum Marriott member, as this was peak ski season and I suspect they had no trouble re-selling my room, given I had cancelled two weeks prior and that they were collecting twice for the same room. The representative had no compassion. I have since sent an email to customer service with the same response, Hotel policy. As I left my previous organization the burden of this cost has fallen on me personally. I am so outrage at the Marriott greed! In February I was about to sign a contract with another Marriott property for a 40 person 3-day meeting which fell through only because of the Coronavirus outbreak, but in hindsight Im glad it did as I do not ever want to give Marriott any more business that is in my control. I will certainly tell my story to the executives at my organization and ask that we consider another hotel chain for our business. I am truning to every possible social network outliet to warn travelers of the Marriott greed!

Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:11 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
If you were charged more than is outlined in the T&Cs dispute with your card issuer. As for cancelling a reservation past the penalty date though. It's put right there when you book, in your confirmation, etc. You were shown it was 30 days when you booked, you just had to read it.
Newman, Dolphin2, Often1 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Did it say 30 days in your confirmation email? That is what you need to check so you can go back and say they are wrong.
MSPeconomist and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aberlet
In early December 2019, I booked a 3-night stay at the Westin Snowmass to attend a corporate function the second week of January 2020. I joined a new organization mid-December and therefore cancelled my reservation two weeks prior to my first nights stay, so I was surprised when I received my credit card statement that I stated a no show for the reservation and that I had been charged over $1000 for the entire 3 night stay. So, I telephoned the Westin Snowmass to tell them they had made an error. The representative at the Westin Snowmass confirmed that I had cancelled the reservation 2 weeks prior to my first nights stay, but that the Hotel policy stated no penalty applied only if the guest cancels 30 days in advance instead of the customary 2-3 days. I then asked why I was charged for the full three nights when no shows as they had me listed only get charged for the first night. Again, I was told, this was the Hotels policy. At this point I am outraged, and told the representative the injustice I was feeling as a Titanium Platinum Marriott member, as this was peak ski season and I suspect they had no trouble re-selling my room, given I had cancelled two weeks prior and that they were collecting twice for the same room. The representative had no compassion. I have since sent an email to customer service with the same response, Hotel policy. As I left my previous organization the burden of this cost has fallen on me personally. I am so outrage at the Marriott greed! In February I was about to sign a contract with another Marriott property for a 40 person 3-day meeting which fell through only because of the Coronavirus outbreak, but in hindsight Im glad it did as I do not ever want to give Marriott any more business that is in my control. I will certainly tell my story to the executives at my organization and ask that we consider another hotel chain for our business. I am truning to every possible social network outliet to warn travelers of the Marriott greed!
What was the cancellation policy stated on your reservation? For a cancellation, the total amount to be charged is usually specified.r Can you post that? 30 day cancellation policy is not unheard of at properties with high holiday demand. If your reservation has a 30 day cancellation policy, I think you are being disingenuous. If not, and it truly was cancelled outside the latest cancellation date, you should have recourse.

Looking at a 3 day reservation for 3/20 - 3/23 at the same property, a Traditional Guest Room, 1 King is $503 all-in per night.

The cancellation policy states.

Cancelling Your Reservation

You may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on February 19, 2020 (30 day[s] {already passed} before arrival.

Please not that we will assess a fee of 1408.88 USD if you must cancel after this deadline...

If your reservation confirmation has similar wording, then why would you be upset when you agreed to the terms? Perhaps you should retract your erroneous posts and turn it into a lesson to make sure you "fully" understand what you are agreeing to. If you don't like the terms, your option is not to book and look elsewhere.

James
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:06 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Poor email reading comprehension, case is pretty cut and dry, all booking confirmations have the information clearly spelled out for any major chain I use, including Marriott. Status has nothing to do with anything here.

But excellent bolding skills.
Newman, Dolphin2, seat38a and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:19 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Isn't it different for the OP, being "Titanitum Platinum"?

Last edited by Out of my Element; Mar 14, 2020 at 6:20 am Reason: Edited as I forgot the bolding
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Isn't it different for the OP, being "Titanitum Platinum"?
I would think so. That's the second highest level of Platinum one can achieve.
Antarius and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
While some Titanium and Ambassador level members have reported being able to cancel stays after the cancellation deadline without penalty, since it isn't written policy it shouldn't be depended upon. Written agreements always supercede oral agreements (no I am not a lawyer). Furthermore, any of the reported instances of cancelling a reservation after the deadline are for stays at more typical business properties rather than a high demand resort during peak season. I.e. being a Titanium or Ambassador level member isn't a get out of jail free card for reservation terms.

While I am sympathetic to being upset about a $1000 penalty, so far this seems like an expensive learning experience. If you were charged more than in the terms and conditions stated in your original reservation confirmation, than by all means go ahead and dispute it on your credit card. If the hotel was compliant with the T&C's than time to write it off to an expensive lesson learned and move on. Ranting about not liking the terms being enforced only diminishes your credibility.

--Jon
Newman and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:29 am

I knew it was a first post just from the thread title.
DJ_Iceman, bosman, Newman and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Gold
Looks like the OP came to FT looking for sympathy not realizing that FT on the whole is an unsympathetic bunch especially when the hotel played by the rules. So I thank my fellow FTers for that.

But it to the OP. We would still like to see the confirmation email. What exactly does it say? Just to confirm our musings. I hope they charged you the resort fees as well.
Newman and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by hotelboy
I hope they charged you the resort fees as well.
Is it wrong this made me laugh out loud.

I too would love to see the confirmation email, but as we have already surmised it looks like the hotel played by the rules and the OP failed to read the cancellation policy. No sympathy here.
Newman likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Welcome to FlyerTalk

Aberlet, Welcome to FlyerTalk!
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
People, please. As always, this will be yet another one-post wonder, post-and-run-never-to-return rant. And almost always because the OP now needs to cancel something, doesn’t like the terms that s/he agreed to and is now crying big, bad hotel or airline. These are getting so frequent now that we should get a cc deposit and institute a fee for those that do it. Right in the T&C when they sign up for FT. One post rant and we charge you a $100. These rant threads with no follow up are so tedious and predictable.
Newman, Dolphin2 and LinLant like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:59 am
Aberlet

Now I'm just LMAO!! It’s obvious which replies are formulated by Marriott staffers in disguise or those paid by Marriott trolling flyertalk forums to reply to such posts to diffuse a single issue from snowballing into something greater by focusing on the fine print and mocking the original poster rather than addressing the bigger picture. Unless policies are changed to more align with industry standards like Hilton (who allows cancellation up to 6pm the day of first night’s stay and has only a one night penalty for a no show) and Hyatt just to mention two, the outcome is the same, I will take my 100+ personal night stays each year and my 4 corporate meetings each year to another hotel brand. In addition, I will take to media outlets to warn other potential guests of Marriott’s policies.

Why does a hotel have a 30-day cancellation policy in peak season where rooms are booked out months in advance? Cancellations are a benefit to Hotels that are sold out who can now charge more for a last-minute guest. Where is your integrity and morality Marriott? I stick by my original statement, greed!

Signing off from flyertalk as this forum is only about damage control for industry and it’s representatives.
mikebor and hoipolloi like this.

Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Aberlet
Now I'm just LMAO!! Its obvious which replies are formulated by Marriott staffers in disguise or those paid by Marriott trolling flyertalk forums to reply to such posts to diffuse a single issue from snowballing into something greater by focusing on the fine print and mocking the original poster rather than addressing the bigger picture. Unless policies are changed to more align with industry standards like Hilton (who allows cancellation up to 6pm the day of first nights stay and has only a one night penalty for a no show) and Hyatt just to mention two, the outcome is the same, I will take my 100+ personal night stays each year and my 4 corporate meetings each year to another hotel brand. In addition, I will take to media outlets to warn other potential guests of Marriotts policies.

Why does a hotel have a 30-day cancellation policy in peak season where rooms are booked out months in advance? Cancellations are a benefit to Hotels that are sold out who can now charge more for a last-minute guest. Where is your integrity and morality Marriott? I stick by my original statement, greed!

Signing off from flyertalk as this forum is only about damage control for industry and its representatives.
MAGA !!!....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.